Nikkor 28-300 vs Tamron 18-270

monkster

Feb 14, 2006
Toa Payoh
Hi,

I'm looking for a walkaround lens, and plan to buy either the Nikkor 28-300 or Tamron 18-270 to pair with the Tokina 11-16.

I reckon both the Nikkor and the Tamron are walkaround lenses, so am wondering which one to pair with the Tokina 11-16?

Thoughts?

Answer's pretty straightforward. If you're using a FF, its the nikkor no doubt. However if you're using crop, you need to ask yourself how often you think you'll want to change your lenses. Cos the 28mm on the nikkor is not wide angle, and you're missing the 16-28mm in between, which could be vital to you. My bet is on the tamron :thumbsup: if you're on crop.

if FF should be comparing nikoor 28-300 wif tammy 28-300vc
but her vr comfirm no fight wif vc for above...PQ depending on individual skill

if FF should be comparing nikoor 28-300 wif tammy 28-300vc
but her vr comfirm no fight wif vc for above...PQ depending on individual skill

VR (Nikon) no fight with VC (Tamron) ?? both are 4 stops according to reviews.:bigeyes:

I'm using the Nikon 28-300mm with my D90.

The lens is sharp throughout the range.

Don't forget the backend that you have Nikon Service Centre if there are problems with your lens.

Cheers.

VR (Nikon) no fight with VC (Tamron) ?? both are 4 stops according to reviews.:bigeyes:

I own both before so this is my personal feel...but sold tammy away as still support nikon :thumbsup:
now 24-120 vs 28-300...tinking which to sell away :think:

I'm using the Nikon 28-300mm with my D90.

The lens is sharp throughout the range.

Don't forget the backend that you have Nikon Service Centre if there are problems with your lens.

Cheers.

so do you have anything less than 28mm?

Is this your walkaround lens?

got to remember that tamron VC is the market leader in terms of vibration control.

Thanks for your input everyone.

Going to Italy in a few months so I'm just planning ahead.

Was considering the Sigma 8-16 but I think the Tokina 11-16's 2.8 is more advantageous for taking pictures of the inside of churches.

Then I was thinking can zoom into certain points of interest in places like the Colosseum, so from what you guys have said, I have more or less settled on the Tamron 18-270.

I use a Nikon D80.

Much appreciated, everyone :)

Last edited:
Thanks for your input everyone.

Going to Italy in a few months so I'm just planning ahead.

Was considering the Sigma 8-16 but I think the Tokina 11-16's 2.8 is more advantageous for taking pictures of the inside of churches.

Then I was thinking can zoom into certain points of interest in places like the Colosseum, so from what you guys have said, I have more or less settled on the Tamron 18-270.

I use a Nikon D80.

Much appreciated, everyone :)

I have the 11-16 and am looking a lens for holiday too. I am also considering a tamron but it's 18-200... One thing that's stopping me from buying is the variable aperture... I might need to reach to zoom in... but I am damn scared that the f4.5 and smaller would be too slow for some low light situations....

And frankly, f2.8 doesn't feel large enough to let enough light in for places like church...

And frankly, f2.8 doesn't feel large enough to let enough light in for places like church...

hmmm, then the alternative Sigma 8-16 will be a no-no for me too.

Thanks for showing me the photos!

One question: heavy or not?

HI,

Pretty sharp. Did you try on any lower light shot?

By the way, does the lens creep? Understand lens of this kind tends to creep; extend.

Hi,

I'm looking for a walkaround lens, and plan to buy either the Nikkor 28-300 or Tamron 18-270 to pair with the Tokina 11-16.

I reckon both the Nikkor and the Tamron are walkaround lenses, so am wondering which one to pair with the Tokina 11-16?

Thoughts?
why not the Nikon DX 18-200? budget?

why not the Nikon DX 18-200? budget?

Also can, the price difference isn't too big.

Just thought the additional zoom from the Tamron is good, and besides, the 18-270 seems to be highly recommended when I did a search on this forum.