Nikkor 24-120 F4 VR function

ildafi

Oct 19, 2010
Hi All, I have just bought a pre-owned 24-120 f4 lens recently. How do I check whether if the VR is working well. My previous 70-200 will show some vibrating movement in the viewfinder and will have a buzzing sound when activated. There is no sound or vibrations observed with the 24-120 lens when I switched the VR to on. In fact I felt there is no prominent signs to show that the VR is activated. Is this a norm for this lens. Many thanks for your advise.

While shooting at 120mm, hold with one hand only. U shld see the ovf bounce a lot, when u half press u will notice the vr kick in with a slight shift in the ovf, and the ovf seems to slow motion bob. After awhile (of releasing shutter) the ovf will bob again as vr shuts off.

Modern vr is quite silent. Its easiest to test vr at the tele end of a lens. Technique is equally important to feel the difference.

Okay, I just checked my copy.

To check if the VR is operating, set the camera or lens to manual focus. Go to a very quiet area, rest the lens barrel against your ear. Half press the shutter release button. You will hear an audible klunk as the VR is engaged & a very faint hissing sound like water running through a pipe. Release the shutter button you will hear another klunk as the VR disengaged & locked.

The other method is as mentioned by Alfie. You should observe that the OVF is very stable with the VR engaged as the camera is moved vertically.

Last edited: