Nikkor 18-70 SWM problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ambut

Oct 5, 2009
Hey guys,

I'm new to this forum. I was just scanning the net and came across a thread regarding the loose screw on the barrel area of the nikkor 18-70mm. I just opened mine last night, I tightened the screw fixing the problem. When I put the pieces back together I tried shooting and the lens wont focus, it was erratic and You can hear a screeching sound on the SWM. Is there any solution for this or I have to replace a new one? I tried sanding it with a 1200 grit but no results. Hope you guys could help me on this. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
What the heck did you sand??? Sounds to me like you overtightened the screw.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it...

I don't know the term of the thing i sanded but is fromthe SWM. it that round metal thing that produces magnet for the focusing ring to move. I thought that was the cause of the squeaking and screeching sound i heard. Al I did was like polishing it

So you opened and disassembled your lens to sand away at the internal magnet, thus introducing magnetic dust and other environmental factors into your lens?

Please, don't ever try that again. If you *think* there's a problem with your lens, leave it to the people who know what they're doing.

@Rashkae - Yes I took it all apart and sanded the internal magnet away from the lens. But before I put it back together, I cleaned it with a blower and wiped any dirt I could find. I clean my own lenses. I'm pretty sure everything was dust-free. Thanks for the concern though sir.

Last edited:
Don't think we can help you fix that, especially when you've sand away part of the component. You'll most probably need a new SWM if you're lucky that the lens is still fixable, otherwise you might need to buy a completely new lens. Your best bet now is to send it to the shop for repair.

@ziploc - It's okay, at least I got a few insights from you guys. Will update you guys if as soon there is any progress with my work.

Thanks Rashkae and Ziploc for your fast replies! More power!

Status
Not open for further replies.