nikkor 18-55 VR change to nikkor 18-135

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrkcw

Jan 5, 2008
hi...im using nikon D60 now...planning to chage my 18-55 VR to 18-135 ....the reason is because of the zoom range....(sometime i need more zoom)...18-200 VR is really too expensive for me...and consider sigma 18-200 OS too....
im thinking whether the VR can help in low light???since the 18-135 does not hav VR...

thx in advance

I'm using the 18-135 without much need for VR, it's a sharp lens with adequate zoom range, I would think the range would be more useful than the VR on the 18-55. I've made the change from 18-55 (non VR) to 18-135...and there's seldom any need to change lens!

The VR is useful, but usually more effective in the higher zoom range.

Hope that helps :)

hi....mostly ppl claim th the 18-135 got this kind of problem (see below)...i wonder how those problem compare to my kit lens...and u knw the market price of 18-135???

Variable aperture. The big issue is that at 70mm this is already an f/5.6 lens, which means that autofocus in low light can be compromised.

Chromatic aberrations and distortion. The excellent sharpness of the lens is compromised by other visual drawbacks

It has a lot of distortion

It has a lot of side color fringing at the very wide and telephoto ends of the zoom range

FALLOFF (Darkened Corners)

so would like to knw if this a problem to u who got this lens in IQ...thx

your kit lens is currently the best version of all the nikon 18-55mm range.
i take quality over zoom anytime.

go loan the 18-135mm and try out.

my previous experience with the 18-70mm where the f4.5 at 70mm tells me that even with a faster f-stop and with more zoom in the lens, gave problems to slower default shutter speeds in low light conditions while using mode like A/S/P.
even my 18-55mm performs with a faster shutter speed than the 18-70mm.

reciprocal rule kicks in for lens that have more zoom throughout in a single lens.

zoom lens with vr operate slightly faster, why not wait for the d90 kit lens then ?
18-105mm vr looks like the perfect replacement for the 18-135mm.

Last edited:

my previous experience with the 18-70mm where the f4.5 at 70mm tells me that even with a faster f-stop and with more zoom in the lens, gave problems to slower default shutter speeds in low light conditions while using mode like A/S/P.

reciprocal rule kicks in for lens that have more zoom throughout in a single lens.

zoom lens with vr operate slightly faster, why not wait for the d90 kit lens then ?

oic....ur suggestion is to keep my kit lens and to see the D90 kit lens....i also wait the D90 to replace my D60...actually i do consider canon 40D,,hahaha...
anyway thanks ur suggestion...

u sure u got faster shutter with the 18-55 at 55mm f5.6 over the 18-70 at 70mm f4.5? (on same composition) :dunno: and zoom lens with vr operate faster? :dunno:

Yeah. Zoom Lenses with VR don't operate faster. It only help to reduce handshake to a certain extent.

TS, if you want it to perform optically good in low light, i would suggest getting delicate lenses with aperture of f2.8.

If you want kit lens and longer reach, 18-135 is pretty decent la. and ya, i agree 18-200 VR is pretty ex.
As for 18-105VR, no body knows how good it is now la. A 2nd hand 18-135 cost abt 250-350 if i am not wrong. I sold off mine cheap though (i went for delicate lenses).

And if you still like the 18-55 range and you hope to have pretty good performance in low light and you are on budget, get a 2nd hand Tamron 17-50 f2.8 lor. :)

u sure u got faster shutter with the 18-55 at 55mm f5.6 over the 18-70 at 70mm f4.5? (on same composition) :dunno: and zoom lens with vr operate faster? :dunno:

yes default shutter speed for the 18-55mm vr at P/A mode in the same low light conditions is faster than the 18-70mm.

i've been using 18-135mm for awhile n turns out to be good, sharp & light weight lens.. dun need de 18-200mm VR if think abt de price & weight..

Hi Mrkcw,

I bot a D40x early this year in Jan and opted to have the 18-135mm lens rather than the kit. The 18-55mm VR really limited the zoom and my problem was that I wanted something to walk about with.

For my own purposes, the 18-135mm was perfect. Not too ex, but do note that while the IQ is moderately sharp, has some slight vignetting when I use it with my polariser at full wide. Also, there's some fair barrel distortion if you take archi shots. You can get some feedback from www.slrgear.com or other lens websites......

Overall, I am satisfied with the 18-135mm even without the VR. Hope this helps!

thx all huh...now im considering whether to change my kit lens???the 18-70mm seem is better IQ and build quality than 18-135...but the problem is the zoom range...i will go to sarawak end of this month...so hope to get a better lens which is not much expenseive..

one of my friend is a reporter...he suggested me not to change my lens to 18-135 which he think not much big difference and not so sharp than my kit lens???really meh???

then he told me to consider the lens which f/2.8...but too expensive for me now...
so can decide for me???change or not change??
18-135 or 18-70???one more decission is to keep my kit lens and buy another 55-200 VR???
thx all

Last edited:
thx all huh...now im considering whether to change my kit lens???the 18-70mm seem is better IQ and build quality than 18-135...but the problem is the zoom range...i will go to sarawak end of this month...so hope to get a better lens which is not much expenseive..

one of my friend is a reporter...he suggested me not to change my lens to 18-135 which he think not much big difference and not so sharp than my kit lens???really meh???

then he told me to consider the lens which f/2.8...but too expensive for me now...
so can decide for me???change or not change??
18-135 or 18-70???one more decission is to keep my kit lens and buy another 55-200 VR???
thx all

i would really think that 18-70 is a really much better choice as compared to the 18-135mm worse comes worst i think a 55-200mm vr will help if you require the zoom range thats what i think

Why not just get a 55-200mm VR? Although I must say the image quality from that lens isn't very good.

I believe 18-70mm gives better image than 18-135 anytime. I feel that 18-70 is probably the best kit lens.

Hmm, but at least you get to enjoy more bokeh and use M to get around the default setting then.

I'm not sure about that. Is it confirmed? What is latest news regarding D90?

i've been using 18-135mm for awhile n turns out to be good, sharp & light weight lens.. dun need de 18-200mm VR if think abt de price & weight..
18-200VR is a one-sized fits all lens, but it does suffer from CA and distortions. So I won't recommend you to consider it, unless you going for lightweight or travelling easy. As I've said, IQ from 18-135 is not very desirable in my opinion.

Why not just get a 55-200mm VR? Although I must say the image quality from that lens isn't very good.

I believe 18-70mm gives better image than 18-135 anytime. I feel that 18-70 is probably the best kit lens.

Hmm, but at least you get to enjoy more bokeh and use M to get around the default setting then.

I'm not sure about that. Is it confirmed? What is latest news regarding D90?

18-200VR is a one-sized fits all lens, but it does suffer from CA and distortions. So I won't recommend you to consider it, unless you going for lightweight or travelling easy. As I've said, IQ from 18-135 is not very desirable in my opinion.

totally agreee 18-70mm is one of the best kit lens being offered!u may refer to the following link and hope it helps you out
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=2218

Status
Not open for further replies.