Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5G ED and 800mm f/5.6E FL ED VR lenses officially announced

I was referring to the time of the 6MP era, where we only have the cheaper APS-C cameras, the advanced APS-H sensors and the pioneer FF models. The 17-40mm is only useful (and probably solely due to its value then outright quality) at the higher end models of yester-year. The 17-40mm had no place in the crop sensor cameras.

In today's world of incredibly powerful full frame sensors, it is my contention that the 17-40mm f/4 is redundant, kept alive by budget FF photographers, which I think is an odd category.

Quite frankly, I don't think budget FF users are odd. If anything, they will be increasing in numbers given the introduction of D600 and 6D.

Quite frankly, I don't think budget FF users are odd. If anything, they will be increasing in numbers given the introduction of D600 and 6D.

Hmm... I cannot deny that the Nikon D600 and the Canon 6D has unlocked a new market segment. And I certainly get your point, because these folks are appearing by the hundreds daily. Still, I cannot help but wonder why one would go for a good quality full frame camera only to cripple oneself with a mediocre lens? I can only imagine that they are either misinformed or limited by financial considerations, by which they may be happier with a DX or APS-C solution.

Anyway, I am looking forward to the reviews for this latest Nikon variable aperture lens!

Hmm... I cannot deny that the Nikon D600 and the Canon 6D has unlocked a new market segment. And I certainly get your point, because these folks are appearing by the hundreds daily. Still, I cannot help but wonder why one would go for a good quality full frame camera only to cripple oneself with a mediocre lens? I can only imagine that they are either misinformed or limited by financial considerations, by which they may be happier with a DX or APS-C solution.

Anyway, I am looking forward to the reviews for this latest Nikon variable aperture lens!
What has the format to do with the quality of the equipment? Nothing. It's time to get back to where we were more than 15 years ago.

That's because you have the impression that the 17-40mm is not good. I don't know what you might have experienced or heard but this lens is a great bang for the buck considering the performance of the earlier wide angle zooms. Like I mentioned before, I've got no problem using it with a 5D MKII, even for commercial work.

Kit said:
That's because you have the impression that the 17-40mm is not good. I don't know what you might have experienced or heard but this lens is a great bang for the buck considering the performance of the earlier wide angle zooms. Like I mentioned before, I've got no problem using it with a 5D MKII, even for commercial work.

Heh. Perhaps it is just me then!

DEF BE BUYING TWO OF THE 800MM !!

hahaha...... :)

But to be honest..... this IS now the sharpest NIKKOR ever looking at the MTF !! Wow !!

Higher resolution also demand better camera handling techniques. Yes, people are complaining about ultra high resolution cameras. On the other hand, I still see people insisting that they can handhold 1/8th sec shots with the latest and greatest VR/IS. There you go.

Hahaha! Yes. I am always so amazed by such people and their purported skills.

Hmm I don't use VR/IS extensively to comment, but I do note that the latest VR III lens - the 70-200mm f/4's acclaimed 5-stop VR is as good as it claims.

I did manage to get sharp photos at 1/6s at 200mm over 50% of the time, but that's on a D600. I don't think it will 1/6s on 200mm on a D800 will make it though. :bsmilie:

Edit: posted a sample of 1/6s, 200mm at the 70-200mm f/4 VR III thread some time ago :)

Last edited:
Hmm I don't use VR/IS extensively to comment, but I do note that the latest VR III lens - the 70-200mm f/4's acclaimed 5-stop VR is as good as it claims.

I did manage to get sharp photos at 1/6s at 200mm over 50% of the time, but that's on a D600. I don't think it will 1/6s on 200mm on a D800 will make it though. :bsmilie:

Edit: posted a sample of 1/6s, 200mm at the 70-200mm f/4 VR III thread some time ago :)

That's fine if you have a realistic expectation of the results.

Any idea what the SG pricing is for the 18-35?
Silent on Nikon SG website.

Comparison with the Canon.

Price USD 17,899

Performance
Focal Length
800 mm
Comparable DX Focal Length: 1200 mm
Aperture
Maximum: f/5.6
Minimum: f/32
Camera Mount Type
Nikon F
Format Compatibility
Nikon FX/35mm Film
Nikon DX
Angle of View
3° 10"
DX Picture Angle: 2°
Minimum Focus Distance
19.36' (5.9 m)
Maximum Reproduction Ratio
1:6.6
Groups/Elements
13/20
Diaphragm Blades

Features
Image Stabilization
Yes
Autofocus
Yes
Tripod Collar
Yes

Physical
Filter Thread
52 mm
Dimensions (DxL)
Approx. 6.30 x 18.15" (160 x 461 mm)
Weight
10.12 lb (4.59 kg)

Price USD13,249

Performance
Focal Length
800 mm
Aperture
Maximum: f/5.6
Camera Mount Type
Canon EF
Format Compatibility
35mm Film / Full-Frame Digital Sensor
Canon (APS-C)
Angle of View
3.5°
Minimum Focus Distance
19.7' (6 m)
Magnification
0.14x
Maximum Reproduction Ratio
1:7.14
Groups/Elements
14/18
Diaphragm Blades

Features
Image Stabilization
Yes
Autofocus
Yes
Tripod Collar
Yes

Physical
Filter Thread
52 mm
Dimensions (DxL)
Approx. 6.4 x 18.1" (16.26 x 45.97 cm)
Weight
9.9 lb (4.49 kg)

Any idea what the SG pricing is for the 18-35?
Silent on Nikon SG website.
Nothing new here. Nikon SG publishes prices one hour after it hits the local stores usually. They are pretty fast here.

Comparison with the Canon.

Price USD 17,899

Performance
Focal Length800 mm
Comparable DX Focal Length: 1200 mm
ApertureMaximum: f/5.6
Camera Mount TypeNikon F
Format CompatibilityNikon FX/35mm Film
Nikon DX
Angle of View3° 10"
DX Picture Angle: 2°
Minimum Focus Distance19.36' (5.9 m)
Maximum Reproduction Ratio1:6.6
Groups/Elements13/20
Diaphragm Blades9

Features
Image StabilizationYes
AutofocusYes
Tripod CollarYes

Physical
Filter Thread52 mm
Dimensions (DxL)Approx. 6.30 x 18.15" (160 x 461 mm)
Weight10.12 lb (4.59 kg)

Price USD13,249

Performance
Focal Length800 mm
ApertureMaximum: f/5.6
Camera Mount TypeCanon EF
Format Compatibility35mm Film / Full-Frame Digital Sensor
Canon (APS-C)
Angle of View3.5°
Minimum Focus Distance19.7' (6 m)
Magnification0.14x
Maximum Reproduction Ratio1:7.14
Groups/Elements14/18
Diaphragm Blades8

Features
Image StabilizationYes
AutofocusYes
Tripod CollarYes

Physical
Filter Thread52 mm
Dimensions (DxL)Approx. 6.4 x 18.1" (16.26 x 45.97 cm)
Weight9.9 lb (4.49 kg)
Quite a price difference, it has be a lot better.

DEF BE BUYING TWO OF THE 800MM !!

hahaha...... :)

But to be honest..... this IS now the sharpest NIKKOR ever looking at the MTF !! Wow !!

agreed, it is amazing

from chart on the sharpness, yes.

Don't forget it's a calculated chart, not a measured one. ;)

I "measure" it at 500-600mm more than the previous king/s of sharpness the 200mm f/2 and 300 f/2.8 ;) :)

If MTF correct this may be the sharpest thing around from any brand..... ??

Last edited:
Don't forget it's a calculated chart, not a measured one. ;)

I am not sure but I remembering reading somewhere that Nikon provides measured MTF charts while Canon's are calculated or computed MTF charts. I could be wrong.

I am not sure but I remembering reading somewhere that Nikon provides measured MTF charts while Canon's are calculated or computed MTF charts. I could be wrong.

I think Carl Zeiss is pretty much the only lens maker who publishes measured MTF charts.

I think Carl Zeiss is pretty much the only lens maker who publishes measured MTF charts.

You are probably right.