Nikkor 17-35 f/2.8 or the new 16-35 f/4 VRII?

Wide-angle/zoom purchase, which of the two?

Results are only viewable after voting.

I just sold my 17-55/2.8 n last night tried one 2nd hand 17-35/2.8 from one snaper. Wat surprised me that comparing with 17-55/2.8, 17-35 image really soft, especially @f2.8

Not sure problem is from the lens or that is the performance, but indeed that snaper told me lot of ppl claim that 17-35 image softer than 17-55 which I also feel the same.

Wanna to try 17-35 again in better light condition n also the new 16-35 then I could make decision which one to choose.

I just sold my 17-55/2.8 n last night tried one 2nd hand 17-35/2.8 from one snaper. Wat surprised me that comparing with 17-55/2.8, 17-35 image really soft, especially @f2.8

Not sure problem is from the lens or that is the performance, but indeed that snaper told me lot of ppl claim that 17-35 image softer than 17-55 which I also feel the same.

Wanna to try 17-35 again in better light condition n also the new 16-35 then I could make decision which one to choose.

Wah!!! Don't scare me leh! I'm in the hunt for a used set... Will be interested to know what you've find out...

After some time considering and deliberations... i think I might just fall back on the 14-24mm... Seen some DIY type of Filter holders for the lens which led me to think it is not an impossible task to filtrate the lens after all...

After some time considering and deliberations... i think I might just fall back on the 14-24mm... Seen some DIY type of Filter holders for the lens which led me to think it is not an impossible task to filtratethe lens after all...

Interesting term :) never seen it used as a verb.
Woah... 14-24 on a DX is really really wasted leh... I know you have your long-term goal and all, but I think these lenses on your shortlist are really wasted for the time being.

If you're using 60mm micro and find it too tight, is that the only reason for considering these FF UWAs?

I'm just curious to find out your reasons. Don't mean to try and put you down. Just don't want to see you spend $$ unnecessarily, even though these lenses might be within your budget.

by the way, it seems like Lee is designing a filter holder and filter set for the 14-24... but don't expect the prices to be.... affordable :angel:

Interesting term :) never seen it used as a verb.
Woah... 14-24 on a DX is really really wasted leh... I know you have your long-term goal and all, but I think these lenses on your shortlist are really wasted for the time being.

If you're using 60mm micro and find it too tight, is that the only reason for considering these FF UWAs?

I'm just curious to find out your reasons. Don't mean to try and put you down. Just don't want to see you spend $$ unnecessarily, even though these lenses might be within your budget.

Nah... I was thinking of replacing the fast primes from 20mm to 50mm with one lens for the DX... I have been looking and reading into the fast primes and feels that they are just not up to the task (I'm a distortion-control freak...)

Thanks for your concern, I'm not in the rush for the shorter focal lengths anyway - but the 14-24 is tempting in the longer run - serves different purposes for the DX and FX bodies.

by the way, it seems like Lee is designing a filter holder and filter set for the 14-24... but don't expect the prices to be.... affordable :angel:

No worries, I'll attempt "modifying from existing products" - DIY instead of getting Lee... :sweat: It's not impossible, google and you'll find examples.

Like I've said, no rush man... maybe after all these deliberations, Nikon might surprise us with another shorter focal length lens? (fat hope... LOL)

Last edited:
Nah... I was thinking of replacing the fast primes from 20mm to 50mm with one lens for the DX... I have been looking and reading into the fast primes and feels that they are just not up to the task (I'm a distortion-control freak...)

Thanks for your concern, I'm not in the rush for the shorter focal lengths anyway - but the 14-24 is tempting in the longer run - serves different purposes for the DX and FX bodies.

I think 17-50 kind of range is what to get to cover.
Maybe consider the 'DX-King': AFS DX 17-55mm f/2.8 ??

is it? I thought it was a fair bit cheaper than 16-35VR... But since both lenses not on my wishlist (YET), I'm not up to date with prices.

If you really want wide-ness for DX camera, something like 11-16, 10-24 or 12-24 (all DX lenses) is the way to go :)

is it? I thought it was a fair bit cheaper than 16-35VR... But since both lenses not on my wishlist (YET), I'm not up to date with prices.

If you really want wide-ness for DX camera, something like 11-16, 10-24 or 12-24 (all DX lenses) is the way to go :)

Well, my pricing is based on the Nikon price list here on CS.

Yes, if I truly want to go UWA for DX, Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 would be right on top!

PS: Reason for the current search is a photo journal lens for the DX...

Last edited:
Well, my pricing is based on the Nikon price list here on CS.

Yes, if I truly want to go UWA for DX, Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 would be right on top!

PS: Reason for the current search is a photo journal lens for the DX...

I would also consider 16-35VR f4, you might want to progress to FX later.

Argh!! i shouldn't view this thread, should be out shooting more... :bsmilie:

I looked at the LEE Filters adapter for the 14-24mm yesterday, and I must say the quality was top notch. Go for the 14-24mm and need not worry about upgrading anymore (at least until v2 comes).

17-35mm f2.8. It performs really well on FX body which has higher ISO performance at night. I'm not sure about its performance on DX body. I still think that 17-55 f2.8 is a better choice for DX although it is not cheap.
I personally don't like the idea of f/4 for photojournal. VR increases shutter delay too.