Nightshot of singapore's skyline

serohm

Nov 21, 2010
DSC_0180_071.JPG

this is my first nightshot of the skyline, having just gotten my D5000 2 wks ago. Would appreciate any comments, especially technical ones that would be helpful for me to improve my skills. This is a fairly common shot that many others would have done before, and therefore something that many can easily relate to and critique. Thanks.

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
Composition, Technical areas such as exposure, focus etc. But generally all comments welcome.

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
A decent shot of the night skyline showing the colours of the buildings and the urban imprint of the skyscrapers against the natural mystique of the night.

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
Fairly decent weather, a couple of clouds at around 8pm.

Nice colours. Just that your horizon is a little tilted to the left and there is a railing visible at the botom right (could crop that away but you may cut into your light reflections). And is that smokey thing on top a cloud or smth? Kinda distracting.

I'm a newbie too so just my 2 cents yeah. Hope you don't mind my comments.

Keep shooting. All the best!

Generally well done I liked how the horizon is quite straight. Perhaps you might want to avoid chopping off the buildings on the left and crop the bottom right of the picture.

there is no exif data in your photo.
For such landscape shot, it is usually better to take it when there is still some light in the sky.

Thanks everyone for the comments, especially on the cropping and the time to take the shot.

Indeed the smokey thing was a passing cloud.

How do I include the EXIF data in the photo?

Nice colours. Just that your horizon is a little tilted to the left and there is a railing visible at the botom right (could crop that away but you may cut into your light reflections). And is that smokey thing on top a cloud or smth? Kinda distracting.

I'm a newbie too so just my 2 cents yeah. Hope you don't mind my comments.

Keep shooting. All the best!

Smokey thing is the clouds, i have a similar photo like this but at a different angle , guess we took at the same time :D the light shines on the clouds and because its the tallest building there, therefore the cloud is lit up :D
i think its kinda cool, like a call for batman lol

Thanks everyone for the comments, especially on the cropping and the time to take the shot.

Indeed the smokey thing was a passing cloud.

How do I include the EXIF data in the photo?

usually it comes with the photo you have taken.:dunno:

Composition didn't quite work here...

1. you placed the horizon so close to the center.
2. Not enough room on the left of the picture.
3. Including the railing is a very very bad decision.
4. Please remove the date/time stamp in the future.
5. Nothing particularly stands out in this picture.

Composition didn't quite work here...

1. you placed the horizon so close to the center.
2. Not enough room on the left of the picture.
3. Including the railing is a very very bad decision.
4. Please remove the date/time stamp in the future.
5. Nothing particularly stands out in this picture.

Yes I think 2-5 are really useful stuff. But I don't quite understand about the placement of the horizon though. Perhaps less of the water and more of the sky? But how to manage the perspective distortion?

Yes I think 2-5 are really useful stuff. But I don't quite understand about the placement of the horizon though. Perhaps less of the water and more of the sky? But how to manage the perspective distortion?

2 ways around getting the composition and at the same time taking care of the perspective distortion.

1. You shoot with spirit level, then use cropping to cut the to the composition you want.

2. You shoot with composition in mind, then use distortion correction to fix the distortion errors.

Using either method, if you feel that you do not have enough FOV left after cropping or distortion correction, then you will need to do a slight panorama.

Where to place the horizon depends on the composition. The key is to get balanced compositions. In this particular case, the placement of the horizon doesn't work.

Last edited:
Did you take the pic on a weekend/PH evening? Most of the office buildings look too dull n uninteresting, as the floors were not lit up.

2 ways around getting the composition and at the same time taking care of the perspective distortion.

1. You shoot with spirit level, then use cropping to cut the to the composition you want.

2. You shoot with composition in mind, then use distortion correction to fix the distortion errors.

Using either method, if you feel that you do not have enough FOV left after cropping or distortion correction, then you will need to do a slight panorama.

Where to place the horizon depends on the composition. The key is to get balanced compositions. In this particular case, the placement of the horizon doesn't work.

Thanks for the tips. will try out the next time.;)