Nightshot of Marina Bay Sands

frozty

May 20, 2009

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
composition and post-processing

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
capturing the reflections of all the buildings

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
taken at night, using a tripod

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
feels that there are too much empty spaces in the picture

I think that technically you did quite well here, because the lights on MBS expo area aren't overexposed. Just a nice golden colour.

Interesting that you said "too much empty space" coz I felt that you cropped too closely to the top of the MBS towers.
The shoreline is much closer to you on the right, than it is on the left, so it makes the horizon look tilted.
Unfortunately there wasn't anything interesting in the foreground (water), nor in the sky. I would suggest a re-do at an earlier timing (sunset), which should give more interesting skies.

thanks for the comment

I have 3 comments.
1. even though there may be too much empty space, you still need to allow "breathing space" around the building especially the top. A bit more "breathing space" on the 2 sides is more desirable..
2. Balance. Bulk of the building is right side. You need something else to balance it off.
3. As what ZCA mentioned, better time to take is either sunrise or sunset.

I have 3 comments.
1. even though there may be too much empty space, you still need to allow "breathing space" around the building especially the top. A bit more "breathing space" on the 2 sides is more desirable..
2. Balance. Bulk of the building is right side. You need something else to balance it off.
3. As what ZCA mentioned, better time to take is either sunrise or sunset.

other than the comments that people have already mentioned, i'm not a fan of the sidewards perspective here. find that this particular piece of architecture is better presented from a more "head-on" view.

the best timing for such lighted buildings, in my humble opinion, would be the twilight period. before the sun rises, or after the sun sets, there will be an approximately 10-20 minute window where the sky is roughly equal in terms of brightness (and therefore exposure) to the lights on the buildings...

thanks! will take note of all that in future

agree with night86mare on the composition....

MBS doesn't have a nice 'side profile' ;)
The one thing that made me take notice of this image is that it's something a bit different... but there's a reason why most prefer the head-on shot... :D