Night View of a Hotel in RWS

NewbietoPro

Sep 24, 2011
Hi all,

I am posting one of my recent photo and seek for some professional advice :)

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
Composition and Post Processing

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
A view of the hotel rooms from the restaurant

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
I was having my dinner with my gf and her parents. While doing so, i turned my head off my food and saw something interesting, which is the picture attached.
Thus i took out my camera and tried to compose a photo outta it. I feel rather ok with it.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
I was taking the photo and at one time thinking if this is the right position to take. After much thought, i thought so, as i can align the moon and RWS logo in it to show where i am and the peacefulness of that place at night. :)

6487706169_6bff3bcac9_z.jpg

It doesn't work. Decide which is your main subject and make sure it's framed to give its most flattering appearance. Devoid of persons in frame does not mean peaceful; it gives the impression of being vacant. The logo is not distinctive and therefore adds as a distraction. The moon is too small and oddly placed in the bottom of the frame/sky, normally one would imagine the moon to be above or high. You also do not need to place similar elements too close together as if you're afraid the audience will not get the picture (pun intended).

Composition needs to be better. Once you have doubts about whether this is the best angle then the only solution is to walk around and see for yourself. Since you were having dinner with prospective in-laws it definitely wasn't a intelligent decision to do so, hence do a serious shoot next time you're alone instead.

Think about your intended message twice, thrice before pulling the trigger. Cheers.

probably can take away the cleaner sign in the bottom background before you shoot...
Shot it with slow shutter speed and tripod?

Hi guys, I got the same feedback from David Kwok too. Haha. I guess I have to really think more in depth. Thanks for all the input. The more the merrier.
I used iso 800 and handheld on this as I didn't bring my tripod alone for dinner. That will be kinda weird lol.
Nonetheless I will recompose and seek for more advice once I am down with it.
Test week again. Student life just can't get any fun. Haha.

Thanks guys.