Night View Across CTE Balestier

Status
Not open for further replies.

kelvinlkh

Apr 25, 2007

Hi, my first post.

just bought my first SLR (d or otherwise, anyway i missed the pre-d period.. :))

D80, Nikkor 18-200mm VR

now playing around with shutter speed.

Took this at around 9pm from my study window. noticed the sky was quite bright n a bit reddish... maybe due to recent rains..

Critique sought:
1) Is the picture sharp enough? or bright enough?
2) Is the composition okay?
3) Please feel free to comment on anything, good or bad.

Thanks!

Buggy

Aug 16, 2004
Woodlands
Hi there :)

1) perhaps you can post a bigger photo so we can critque on the photo more accurately. but it looks pretty well exposed.
2) personally i feel that the attention is divded into half. one goes to the sky, the other goes to the buildings. you can actually try to do a photostitch. :)
3) well done. have fun with your new toy! cheers.

Dec 7, 2006
west side!
err ur pic kinda small to tell sharp or not

the hdb lights are all over
u also mention the sky was bright and reddish, dun quite convey in ur pic.

as for composition, well is just another hdb flat setting. might want to try a tighter crop.

kelvinlkh

Apr 25, 2007
err ur pic kinda small to tell sharp or not

the hdb lights are all over
u also mention the sky was bright and reddish, dun quite convey in ur pic.

as for composition, well is just another hdb flat setting. might want to try a tighter crop.
hi,

regarding the hdb lights, my shutter speed was set to 5 sec... if any shorter, the whole picture will look too dark.. but if longer the lights will become "enlarged" and "all over".. like wat u said...

wat can i do so that the lights are in their place and at the same time the picture is not too dim?

haha. i like your comments regarding my composition " another hdb flat setting"... short n incisive..

kelvinlkh

Apr 25, 2007
actually the original picture looked quite sharp to me.. its just that i onli used microsoft picture manager to lower file size n resolution... (dun have photoshop)

Dec 7, 2006
west side!
haha paiseh paiseh, cause been seeing too many hdb pics from my students. getting boring ah.

well with the lights issue, u might want to dbl expose, with metering on the sky then the lights. not too sure if the d80 can do that, else ps it.

just an idea for a reddish sky, shoot with 1/3 below hdb flats, and 2/3 reddish sky. better effect if got clouds.

dun use pic manager, dl one of the freeware around. google for faststone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom