Night Shots - what kind of settings best?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chins

Sep 5, 2002
MacPherson
Visit site
Recently bought a 2nd hand G3. Just wondering what kind of settings are best for night shots on a digicam? Longer exposure or shorter? Big F-stop or smaller? What kind of white balance?

Here are some shots of my recent night shoot. Would appreciate if you all could gimme some tips. ;)

Night Shots

Cheers!

showtime

May 2, 2003
Singapore
Visit site
if you are hand holding, you would want to use the biggest apperture, rendering the shortest possible exposure so as to eliminate hand shake.

ignore if you are using it with tripod. use long exposure to create artistic motion trails.

regarding white balance, see the conditions and set accordingly manualy. the auto white balence in many camera are not accurate. i use a nikon. the auto wb is not fantastic. dunno about the canon though.

showtime

May 2, 2003
Singapore
Visit site
looking at your pics, the colours are very warm... if you like it that way. then stay at the current wb settting. but if you want cooler tones, set to tungsten wb. cheers!

Waz

Sep 19, 2003
Hi Chin,

Did u use a tripod for the Fullerton Hotel shoot?

Any touch up for the Merlion?

I love it. Slightly warm but I still love it.

But then again, I am a newbie. hee hee

chins

Sep 5, 2002
MacPherson
Visit site
Waz said:
Hi Chin,

Did u use a tripod for the Fullerton Hotel shoot?

Any touch up for the Merlion?

I love it. Slightly warm but I still love it.

But then again, I am a newbie. hee hee

Yeah... night shots definitely need tripod. Did slight touch-ups on the merlion pic. Used photoshop to remove some small bright spots in the dark background caused by the boat spotlights.

Keep shooting... me a newbie too!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom