night shots on the d100, how to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikimaus

May 27, 2003
Singapore
www.the-inncrowd.com
i've been using pretty much idiot proof cameras the past 2 years or so. so, when i want to take night shots, i just flick the little button to, well, night shots.

how does one do that on the d100 when all you have is the metering onboard, p, a, s, & m modes? do i just simply compensate on the exposures?

mucho gracias for tips!

mikimaus said:
i've been using pretty much idiot proof cameras the past 2 years or so. so, when i want to take night shots, i just flick the little button to, well, night shots.

how does one do that on the d100 when all you have is the metering onboard, p, a, s, & m modes? do i just simply compensate on the exposures?

mucho gracias for tips!

okie, jus to kick us off taking some night shots, bring along a stable tripod, set your ISO to 200, put to A mode, set to F8, set to matrix metering, on self timer and fire. This would allow you to take a general night landscrape shots. there is a +/- on the D100 if i am not wrong on the top rightz where you press and turn the dial to adjust the compensation(d100 user do correct me if i am wrong)

Later on you might wanna move on to spot metering and shooting in M mode. where you will meter on the different subj in the scenary and choose the shutter and apperture tat you would best wan to express your pictures
cheers.
(okie, i am assuming here that you mean night scenary shots.)

mikimaus said:

mucho gracias for tips!

P= program mode. This will set your aperature and shutter speed for you. Its pretty much a point and shoot function.

A= aperature priorty mode. You choose the aperature size and the onboard computer will computer the neccessary shutter speed for a normal exposure.

S= Shutter priorty mode. Similar to A mode but you choose the shutter speed and the aperature size will be computed for a normal exposure.

M= Manual mode. This one you have to use the onboard meter and choose a combination of shutter speed and aperature size for whatever exposure you want. ie overexpose or underexpose by how many stops you want.

In A and S modes, you can also choose to under or over expose your shots. This one is controlled by your EV levels. Go read your manual on how to use this.

if you want the most idiot proof method, use P mode together with the matrix meter.

i should give you something very decent.
you might want to increase or decrease the exposure as it suits you...preview on the lcd to make sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.