Night shots on the Canon 400D

Status
Not open for further replies.

fotojoy

Mar 10, 2005
Singapore, NE
Pics taken @ Chinatown during the Mid-Autumn Festival lights-up.
Didn't managed to "catch" the fireworks, tripod not set up when it went off.... grrrrr....

Constructive comments are welcome. :sweat:

IMG_00411.jpg

IMG_00491.jpg

IMG_0051.jpg

not bad, did u use flash?

i was there this morning for some daytime shots
I see. Did you manage to take any pic? I didn't know there was a Mid-autumn lights-up until I listened to the radio. I went Little India after that. Pics can be found in another thread. :sweatsm:

Pretty clean shots of the 400D. Care to share your settings eg. iso ?

Composition can be improved though :)

Pretty clean shots of the 400D. Care to share your settings eg. iso ?

Composition can be improved though :)

All are taken with ISO 100 except for the "Dragon & Pearl" which is with ISO 200.

How should the pics be composed? Care to advise? I knew I am really bad at composition... hehehe :bsmilie:

may i suggest you ask yourself these questions before shooting ;

1) what is it that you want viewer to see / feel?
2) is it the best angle and time to take the shot?
3) is this focal length the most suitable one?
4) since now digital camera can set white balance, have you set to the "correct" one?

is the color cast in the first 3 pictures intentional?

jdredd is refering to the flower you shot on the "chinatown point bridge".

it should be pink or purple color, instead of what it is now.

What color cast? Care to explain? Thank you so much.
Frankly, I just shoot. :sweat:

when shooting under sodium lights or etc... you will get a colour cast. which by rights you should correct in your post processing, unless you want to leave the cast in for its "effect".
next time you shoot , try a custom white balance. and you will see the difference.

hmm...personal opinion....the car trails are nice...but somehow seems like most of the shots (1-3) are not focused...due to lack of antishake, shutter speed or tripod? the merlion..maybe wrong direction.....dragon..maybe the frontal approach will be a better view.....But the 1st lion catches my eye :) nicely taken

when shooting under sodium lights or etc... you will get a colour cast. which by rights you should correct in your post processing, unless you want to leave the cast in for its "effect".
next time you shoot , try a custom white balance. and you will see the difference.

I did no post processing. I thought I leave it for you guys to comment. Then I can learn this way.... :dunno:

I went to check my camera settings. Realised it was set to "under shade" or something (can't remember the term now). I forgot to set it back to the default after trying a few shots with it. :mad2:

I still don't understand how to customise the white balance. I guess I need some demo from some kind soul :sweat:

hmm...personal opinion....the car trails are nice...but somehow seems like most of the shots (1-3) are not focused...due to lack of antishake, shutter speed or tripod?

Got tripod. hmm .. maybe I didn't focus well enough. got to work on that.

the merlion..maybe wrong direction.....dragon..maybe the frontal approach will be a better view.....But the 1st lion catches my eye :) nicely taken

merlion, took it from a building... that's the direction.

dragon, ok... maybe can try this weekend.

thanks for ur comments :sweatsm:

I did no post processing. I thought I leave it for you guys to comment. Then I can learn this way.... :dunno:

I went to check my camera settings. Realised it was set to "under shade" or something (can't remember the term now). I forgot to set it back to the default after trying a few shots with it. :mad2:

I still don't understand how to customise the white balance. I guess I need some demo from some kind soul :sweat:

Ok.

First off, its not advisable, to just plonk your output from the camera, onto computer, and upload without any post processing and then expect people to comment. sure, millions of people with JPEG P&S digicams, thats what they do. but you are posting in a photography forum, so different standards will apply.

Remember, digital photography – you are the photo lab, so theres an expectation that you will develop your negative i.e. digital photo, properly.

When I talk about post processing or developing here here, im not talking about fancy B&W conversions, or desaturation or curves etc… and you dont even need to use photoshop.

What you have to understand is that, for all the photos that you take digitally, you should try and put into place what is commonly called a workflow.

At the very basic, this will normally include adjusting exposure, colour correction, cropping, sharpening and noise reduction where necessary. most DSLRs, will come with software that will allow you to make these basic adjustments.

That is also why people shoot in RAW. Because you don’t have to bother about your white balance setting when you shoot, as you can just adjust it later.

As for custom white balance, I can tell yo uhow to do it, but if you don’t have a canon DSLR the process may be a bit different. So I suggest you try and read you rmanual first, then come back if you have more questions.

:cry: ermmm ... ok.

hhe.. no need ot cry la.. now i feel bad.
unfortunately, this is the unrealised part of DSLR ownership.. i also am quite new to Digital photog and didnt realise how much time you also have to devote, after your picture shoot.

its quite different from the days, where you just drop your film off and come back pick it up and then can show your friends already.

sorry i should have read your title. yo uhave a 400D. ok . heres how you do a custom white balance.

first, a CWB only applies, to the light setting that you are in. i.e.. if you do a CWB on the street, then you go iindoors with different lighting, the CWB you did wont be correct anymore. so you either go back to automatic white balalance, or you do a fresh CWB.

ok. how to do it. ideally, you would carry a proper white balance card or filter. but if you dont, the most common way , is to just shoot anytthing white. piece of paper. napkin. wall of a building. tablecloth. you get the picture. when you shoot it, shoot it on Auto WB setting. make sure its properly focused and exposed, and that the white fills up the whole frame of the viewfinder.

ok. now you got your picture. next step. open up your menu setting and scroll down. you will see custom white balance. select that, then it will prompt you to select the picture for the CWB. select the picture of the white object you took. thts it.
then just need to go to your WB menu, and choose custom whie balance - loks like two triangles side by side.

i suggest yo upractise at home tonight. see if you can figure it out. if not, come back here and ill try and explain further.

pics look not sharp at all even at this resolution.
I suppose the bigger pics is worst.. hope you dun mind me being truthful.
another thing, you used tripod, but did you use remote or shutter release?
with tripod, even pressing of the camera to shoot, will have some shake..

Status
Not open for further replies.