Night Shoots of Singapore

Status
Not open for further replies.

ovc17m

Nov 11, 2006
Have been into amateur photography for about 2 years, decided to post some of my photos into here for comments.

Hope to pick up more knowledge and skills in photography, and most important, to earn my own DSLR!

:)

Esplanade_bridge.jpg

Labrador_Jetty.jpg

parcel_office.jpg

Chinese_Temple.jpg

Thanks for your comments and replies. :) Ya, it's an IXUS 500 I'm using. How do you know that??

pic 1

picture is divided into 3 areas (bridge, skyline and empty sky) with none being able to hold viewer's attention due to the lack of a subject of focus.

also, for usual night city skyine shots, can consider photographing before the sky darkens completely to capture some colours/details in the sky to add interest

pic 2

image is soft. horizon is slanted unnecessary. colours and contrast need some improvement as they seem dull now.

pic 3

very soft. framing is awkward. the scene looks incomplete (not wide enough to tell the environment, not close enough to examine the details)

pic 4

very soft. a wider frame would be more interesting.

i am guessing that the softness in the pictures is due to unstable support for long shutter takes.

and reminder, please post 1 picture/1 series a week to allow for more indepth critiques from viewers. if series is intended, the pictures should be related (i.e. the series work as a single piece of work and should be viewed as such) :cheers:

I noticed you used f/2.8 for photo one.. I think a smaller aperture (larger fstop) with longer exposure (you used 1 second for this one).. Would be nicer! =)

At least the lampposts would be more attractive - giving you that starburst effect.

Composition wise, it's superb in my book though. =)

Download the photo, then right click the file, properties and then under summary click advance.
Can see lots of stuffs there such as focal length, aperture, shutter speed, etc.

#1 is nice. Me like it lots :D
#2 is a little underexp. There's a significant canting (as you can see from the horizon.)
#3 doesn't say much imho.
#4 gives a little dark and misty feeling. Lower portion is underexp (btw, how to solve that?)

Hi eikin,

Thanks for your c&c and rules about the forum! Very informative and i believe it will help me a lot in my future shootings. :)

Thanks to all others for your c&c!

Hi Ovc17m,
I believe your picture quality is being limited by your equipment.
However, just some things you can do.

1) Does your cam have APERTURE PRIORITY? (meaning, Av mode)
Shoot @ smaller aperture such as F5.6 or F8 for more Depth of Field else your pictures will look too soft. Recently shoot some sunsets with F8, works well~

2) Use tripod.
If you have a tripod, use it to reduce handshake since you'll be shooting at low shutter speed.
If don't have, please don't buy. Save $$ for your DSLR.
I believe digicams have their limits, this is one of them :)

Status
Not open for further replies.