Night Shoot

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicholas68

Deregistered
Jun 3, 2005
Sembawang
Hi all

i am going to try out night shoot. Can anyone advice me what to bring (lens) and setting on D70s. Do i need a flash. tripod is a must..

thank

70-200VR f/2.8G, or 200 f/2 would be nice.

Try bringing 8 SB-800s to do CLS, sure swee one :thumbsup:

lens and settings depends on what you are going to shoot and the availible light there ...
but must bring tripod and umbrella (just in case)

Best to bring a tripod & convenient to use the IR remote as well for the slow shutter speed captures. Kit lens is good enough for landscapes & night portraits since you're gonna use small apertures anyway. For night portraits, you may need to use flash rear synch to freeze/light up the main subject. If the subject is close & you're not using extreme wide end of the lens, the built in flash is good enough.

Try some test shots using the night portrait mode 1st to get a general feel of the settings used, then swap over to manual mode to try out different settings to see what effects you can get.

Your kit lens should do fine.

Don't forget to start before the sky gets all dark as the 'colour' just after sunset can be very rewarding.

Use the self timer if you don't have the IR remote or remote cord.

hi,

get a cable release or IR remote control. Do some bulb mode for long exposures on city night in the dark and be rewarded!

Good luck and happy shooting,
tltan

for smoothest tones and detail, use iso200, shoot raw, then convert to tiff on computer. free converters also can, better than shooting jpegs.

i find it better to gauge the exposure using the histogram review and not just the lcd image.

edit: actually there are many threads on night shoot advice. do a search!

espn said:
70-200VR f/2.8G, or 200 f/2 would be nice.

Try bringing 8 SB-800s to do CLS, sure swee one :thumbsup:

Sorry to tell you. I think your cupboard is full with equipment. Everything I ask about something . you will bring out one hundred and one equipment. Are you promoting for some camera company,

ortega said:
lens and settings depends on what you are going to shoot and the availible light there ...
but must bring tripod and umbrella (just in case)

let saying taking at HDB playground or do you have any formula that can work well with night shoot,

gadget said:
Best to bring a tripod & convenient to use the IR remote as well for the slow shutter speed captures. Kit lens is good enough for landscapes & night portraits since you're gonna use small apertures anyway. For night portraits, you may need to use flash rear synch to freeze/light up the main subject. If the subject is close & you're not using extreme wide end of the lens, the built in flash is good enough.

Try some test shots using the night portrait mode 1st to get a general feel of the settings used, then swap over to manual mode to try out different settings to see what effects you can get.

thank bro have start test for a few at my block downstair. i think tripod and IR remote is a must must.

tltan said:
hi,

get a cable release or IR remote control. Do some bulb mode for long exposures on city night in the dark and be rewarded!

Good luck and happy shooting,
tltan

\
Sorry i am new to photography what is bulb mode

d7t3 said:
for smoothest tones and detail, use iso200, shoot raw, then convert to tiff on computer. free converters also can, better than shooting jpegs.

i find it better to gauge the exposure using the histogram review and not just the lcd image.

edit: actually there are many threads on night shoot advice. do a search!

thank bro. what about the aperture setting

nicholas68 said:
Sorry to tell you. I think your cupboard is full with equipment. Everything I ask about something . you will bring out one hundred and one equipment. Are you promoting for some camera company,
well he is the only person I know who uses Nikkor 600/4s to use as table legs. :bsmilie:

nicholas68 said:

You're wrong, I only have a Coolpix S4, and it's not technically mine either, belongs to my sister, but I use it :bsmilie:

Well, believe me, 200 f/2VR is good for night shots, and 8 SB-800s are hardly enough either! ;)

TMC said:
well he is the only person I know who uses Nikkor 600/4s to use as table legs. :bsmilie:
I also use the 1200-1700 for double storey bed legs :D

different scene, different formula, how to have fixed method.

for playgrd at night, maybe the lighting is monochromatic, i might use high iso purposely for grainy look, convert to B+W, maybe even no tripod, move the camera for effects...

thank bro. what about the aperture setting

if u want the scene sharp, using the 18-70 lens, can use f/8 or 11. if u want blur background, use a larger aperture like f/2.8 (or 3.5/4.5 for kit lens). quite a basic concept leh

TMC said:

by the way who is he. everything i ask something..... he is the man

espn said:
You're wrong, I only have a Coolpix S4, and it's not technically mine either, belongs to my sister, but I use it :bsmilie:

Well, believe me, 200 f/2VR is good for night shots, and 8 SB-800s are hardly enough either! ;)

aiyp pls man now sister also come up or you sister work for some camera company. If i am not wrong you did mention that you just bought the cool d200. right man

Status
Not open for further replies.