Night scene question

Status
Not open for further replies.

slardar

Jan 8, 2006
Bukit Batok!
hi all, i got a question regarding shots of dark scenes.
The picture on the right is the original photo taken, while the left pic is edited on the computer, where its brightness is decreased. Nothing else is edited.
Problem is, the actual scene looks much more like the edited photo, which is darker.
Whenever i half press the shutter-release button, the image brightens up, and ends up looking overly bright. Is this called over-exposure? How can i prevent it?
No matter how i change settings or modes, the result is still the same. Only when i decrease the exposure then the image looks more realistic... Is this normal?
darkbright2vg.jpg

I think you'd posted your question in the wrong session. The whole aim of the critique corner is to invite others to give constructive comments on shots you yourself felt worthy of sharing, and not for tecchnique advice.

Anyway, your problem lies with the metering. Don't really know what metering you're adopting, but the meter might have measured the exposure value according to the centre, which happened to be the brightest part of the whole frame, thus underexposing everything.

yes, half pressing the shutter will tell the camera to do 2 things. Aufo focus and meter.
by metering, your camera will determine which area is under/over expose, then auto-correct the exposure.

so to answer your question:
slardar said:
Whenever i half press the shutter-release button, the image brightens up, and ends up looking overly bright...Is this normal?

yes it is normal. if u want the final image to be a bit darker, u can up the shutter speed or size down the aperture.

woops..:eek: im sorry if i posted in the wrong section..:embrass:
And thanks for the answers :)

Status
Not open for further replies.