Night photos with additional spots

Status
Not open for further replies.

wmayeo

Feb 11, 2008
Singapore
Not entirely sure what are these spots on the images, please see below resized and cropped images. I took these last night, left my filter at home and viewfinder with no cover.

#1 taken by 16-85mm
#2 taken by 35mm f/1.8

Can anyone kindly advise what's the problem? :)

#1 (Resized)
DSC_2701_X.jpg

#1 (100% cropped)

DSC_2701_cropped.jpg

#2 (Resized)
DSC_2733_X.jpg

#2 (100% cropped)
DSC_2733_cropped.jpg

i suspect lens flare. if u take a look, pic 1 the spots resembele the ones on bridge.

2nd one resemble the 4 extra orange lights and the remaining white ones.

anyone can comfirm?

These are re-reflected light internally to the sensor surface to the inner lens surface and back again into the sensor. The lights are practically reflected and then inverted as it re-enters the sensor.

This problem may be inherent to the grade of anti reflection coating of the lens internals. The source of light may just be too "strong" with respect to the rest of the other light source. Stopping down the lens (use higher aperture values) may help at times.

Last edited:
Another term for those lights is called "ghosting"

Funny I never get too much ghosting problems when shooting at night at the same location at Tanjong Rhu. But I was using a UWA then.

Have to admit, I never used my 35mm to shoot any long exposure night scene.

Ghosting issue.

Read it up. :)

wmayeo said:
Not entirely sure what are these spots on the images, please see below resized and cropped images. I took these last night, left my filter at home and viewfinder with no cover.

So i presume that there was no filter attached to your lens.
The point about the viewfinder w/o cover... you suspect some light leaked in from the viewfinder? Can just cover with hand :)

Quite puzzling to see the ghosting. Will try one day with my 35/1.8 (so far never used for night landscapes) to see if this issue crops up.

The point about the viewfinder w/o cover... you suspect some light leaked in from the viewfinder? Can just cover with hand :)

Quite puzzling to see the ghosting. Will try one day with my 35/1.8 (so far never used for night landscapes) to see if this issue crops up.

Hmm.. just curious. Why will light leak in from viewfinder? Theoretically while taking a shot, the light path from viewfinder to the sensor will be blocked as the the focusing mirror will be flipped up.

Unless of course...by some funny reflection inside the body, and there was a gap somewhere, so the light reached the sensor?

These are re-reflected light internally to the sensor surface to the inner lens surface and back again into the sensor. The lights are practically reflected and then inverted as it re-enters the sensor.

This problem may be inherent to the grade of anti reflection coating of the lens internals. The source of light may just be too "strong" with respect to the rest of the other light source. Stopping down the lens (use higher aperture values) may help at times.

ok thanks, may try that. :think:

Another term for those lights is called "ghosting"

Funny I never get too much ghosting problems when shooting at night at the same location at Tanjong Rhu. But I was using a UWA then.

Have to admit, I never used my 35mm to shoot any long exposure night scene.

First time encountering this problem, may try again somewhere to shoot tonight.

After using 16-85 then swap with 35mm to check, oh it's there again.
Is there any way to prevent it?

My friend's 50D was working fine. :sweatsm:

no filter used, purposely took off before i left home. Suspect only. :think:

2 lenses and same issue. Likely problem with body. Use blower clean body and sensor and try again.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Hmm.. just curious. Why will light leak in from viewfinder? Theoretically while taking a shot, the light path from viewfinder to the sensor will be blocked as the the focusing mirror will be flipped up.

Unless of course...by some funny reflection inside the body, and there was a gap somewhere, so the light reached the sensor?

I've not experienced it before, but an experienced CSer, lkkang, told me this "phenomenon" does indeed happen.
If you look at the photos of the D700 and D3 viewfinder area (HERE), you'll notice a little twist switch that actually blocks out the viewfinder completely. They must've done that for a reason :angel:

Some light can still leak through the flipped mirror. Especially in long exposures.

When you buy your camera, it should come with a viewfinder cover (Nikon's cameras come with a plastic one). Higher end cameras like D700 and D3 series have a viewfinder cover built into the camera.

Some light can still leak through the flipped mirror. Especially in long exposures.

When you buy your camera, it should come with a viewfinder cover (Nikon's cameras come with a plastic one). Higher end cameras like D700 and D3 series have a viewfinder cover built into the camera.

Agree with you. I think it was recommended in the D300s manual(pg 191) to use the DK-5.:)

mine don't have leh :cry:.... I go sue Nikon now! :) hehehehe just kidding... what to do... use hand to cover lor...

mine don't have leh :cry:.... I go sue Nikon now! :) hehehehe just kidding... what to do... use hand to cover lor...

Bro, you camera too power already... :cry:

Ok let me rephrase that... In extremely long exposures...

BTW went to makan at TPY zichar again. tabao home. Generally good feedback.. *sorry for the slight OT*

Bro, you camera too power already... :cry:

Ok let me rephrase that... In extremely long exposures...

BTW went to makan at TPY zichar again. tabao home. Generally good feedback.. *sorry for the slight OT*
OT forgiven.. tks for the sappork! :)

anyway, back to the topic...
i have not noticed any negative impact of the viewfinder being exposed during long exposures... Guess I haven't gone into really LONG exposures. hehehe.

Status
Not open for further replies.