Night Photography

Status
Not open for further replies.
flash is a must, for most of the time, unless ambient lighting is good.

learning how to use a flash however, is not so easy. when i get home i'll try to dig through some of my bookmarks of photographers who take extremely superb portraits at night.. i do recall this particular one who was crazy.. take models in the wee hours and combine light painting with it. really sick, but well worth the effort

flash is a must, for most of the time, unless ambient lighting is good.

learning how to use a flash however, is not so easy. when i get home i'll try to dig through some of my bookmarks of photographers who take extremely superb portraits at night.. i do recall this particular one who was crazy.. take models in the wee hours and combine light painting with it. really sick, but well worth the effort

I would love to see some of those bookmarks you have =) Thanks =D

looks like i can't find it. i'm thinking i actually saw it in this book here (so you can see the cover).. read at some random national library (quite a few branches have it, cathay jacob's outdoor lighting for fashion and portraiture) while waiting for sunset.. probably the central one, that one has a number of photography books. check it out. was hoping i could throw up the guy's website but looks like it can't be found so oh well.

in any case, for lighting and all matters alike, please check out strobist, some stuff i found on the net pertaining to photography at night. in any case you should not be toying with light painting per se, but it can be quite a refreshing change from the usual. here are some examples of good night portraits (from my view, note).. at least in terms of exposure.

for basic portraits, e.g. like those you might take of family and friends, this and this.

for street portraits, this and this are worth taking a quick look.

for more commercially orientated stuff, e.g. fashion/model photography, link (1) , (2), (3) , (4). these 3 are from a rather popular series of photographs on pbase (one of the more popular galleries), (1) , (2) , (3). you may want to look at the main gallery as a whole too. :)

with regards to light painting, you can do a lot of stuff, i guess, what matters most is the execution and post processing and technique.. some more basic/commonplace examples include link (1). and you have the occasional weird photo. less commonplace stuff as well. sometimes just a little bit is used.

in my opinion, the following are good examples of light painting used effectively:
siffleur, electric bath , untitled , untitled 2, tit for a tat and tat for a tit (warning, the last one contains nudity, do not open if easily offended).

not sure whether these are pp or light painting, but pretty cool:
lightformic 1, 2 , 3.

these are some of naoki hayashi's shots (check her out, i like her portrait work) taken at night/low light: (1), (2). cheers.

p.s. i took quite a bit of time browsing through to get all these links, so please, do look at them when you do have the time.

looks like i can't find it. i'm thinking i actually saw it in this book here (so you can see the cover).. read at some random national library (quite a few branches have it, cathay jacob's outdoor lighting for fashion and portraiture) while waiting for sunset.. probably the central one, that one has a number of photography books. check it out. was hoping i could throw up the guy's website but looks like it can't be found so oh well.

in any case, for lighting and all matters alike, please check out strobist, some stuff i found on the net pertaining to photography at night. in any case you should not be toying with light painting per se, but it can be quite a refreshing change from the usual. here are some examples of good night portraits (from my view, note).. at least in terms of exposure.

for basic portraits, e.g. like those you might take of family and friends, this and this.

for more commercially orientated stuff, e.g. fashion/model photography, link (1) , (2), (3) , (4). these 3 are from a rather popular series of photographs on pbase (one of the more popular galleries), (1) , (2) , (3). you may want to look at the main gallery as a whole too. :)

with regards to light painting, you can do a lot of stuff, i guess, what matters most is the execution and post processing and technique.. some more basic/commonplace examples include link (1). and you have the occasional weird photo. less commonplace stuff as well. sometimes just a little bit is used.

in my opinion, the following are good examples of light painting used effectively:
siffleur, electric bath , untitled , untitled 2, tit for a tat and tat for a tit (warning, the last one contains nudity, do not open if easily offended).

lightformic 1, 2 , 3.

these are some of naoki hayashi's shots (check her out, i like her portrait work) taken at night/low light: (1), (2). cheers.

p.s. i took quite a bit of time browsing through to get all these links, so please, do look at them when you do have the time.

Thank you Thank you Xie Xie Ni!

:p

lightformic 1, 2 , 3.

wow keep up your good work

Hi i'm new here. just got a d40x as my 1st dslr and heard that it's production is stopped :(
have been reading from this site and experimenting my d40x, but have a question,
with 18-55vr, can i take beautiful night scene?
and where should i go to take, ie good location?
thanks!

Hi i'm new here. just got a d40x as my 1st dslr and heard that it's production is stopped :(
have been reading from this site and experimenting my d40x, but have a question,
thanks!

should not be asking this question here since ts was asking about night portraiture

you need a tripod for night landscapes
some good locations include kallang basin, some of the reservoirs, city hall area..

basically anything goes. if you have a remote or shutter release, even better, then anywhere also can. composition and an eye is more important than location, though of course a good location will always be superior to a not-so-good one

oops sorry i was so careless

anyway thanks for the advice :)

thanks!

should not be asking this question here since ts was asking about night portraiture

you need a tripod for night landscapes
some good locations include kallang basin, some of the reservoirs, city hall area..

basically anything goes. if you have a remote or shutter release, even better, then anywhere also can. composition and an eye is more important than location, though of course a good location will always be superior to a not-so-good one

oops sorry i was so careless

anyway thanks for the advice :)

Its ok =) Good knowledge for me too =) I heard that marina bay was a good place for night photography.. haven't tried it myself though..

Status
Not open for further replies.