Night photography settings for Leica M6 TTL + SF20 flash

makeandcurate

Oct 4, 2014
Singapore
Hello Clubsnappers, I've just gotten the Leica M6 TTL + SF20 and was wondering what would be the recommended setting for night photography with this camera? I've recently took this out to a restaurant in the evening and set the aperture to f/5.6 (a few pax in each photo), ISO at 400 (using Tri-X 400) and shutter speed at 50. However, the photos came back looking like I took them in daylight! I prefer the background to be dark but I am concerned that a slower shutter speed will create blur photos on 35mm lens. Your kind advice is very much appreciated!

Hi, congrats on your new purchase. You might want to buy a flash meter like Sekonic 308 to really learn how to master your flash.

First, meter the camera to the scene and underexpose by 2 stops to achieve the dark background you want. Then using your flash meter, find the correct flash output for your current aperture and film ISO.

You will get a perfect exposure every single time with this method. Don't be afraid of using slow shutter speed, the subject being lit by the flash will always be sharp. Just try it using digital camera if you're worried. I do this with my FP 100 polaroid film and get very nice results on my Mamiya Press.

Finally you will always get only average results with on camera flash. I too had the SF20, i connected it with a flash trigger and held the flash off camera (like Eric Kim, lol!) and get much better results.

Last edited: