Night Photography Setting - Indoor & Outdoor

Status
Not open for further replies.

FelTeh

Oct 18, 2006
Far East
Hi, own a Nikon D80 and is completely new to SLR and need some expert advise from all. Night photography has been my greatest challenge as none of the pictures turn out sharp & clear despite exploring various setting eg; P mode with high ISO or night scene/night portrait mode, manual mode ....etc. Can any bro or sis shed some lights on the ideal setting for both indoor and outdoor shooting under low light condition ? Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Fel

need tripod..slow shutter speed and a remote control

need tripod..slow shutter speed and a remote control

What about under circumstances where no tripod is available ? I dislike carrying tripod around and enjoy taking candid shots :confused:

Cheers,

What about under circumstances where no tripod is available ? I dislike carrying tripod around and enjoy taking candid shots :confused:

Cheers,

Then you are not getting any sharp pictures.

Hi, own a Nikon D80 and is completely new to SLR and need some expert advise from all. Night photography has been my greatest challenge as none of the pictures turn out sharp & clear despite exploring various setting eg; P mode with high ISO or night scene/night portrait mode, manual mode ....etc. Can any bro or sis shed some lights on the ideal setting for both indoor and outdoor shooting under low light condition ? Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Fel

I think no one can specifically tell you the ideal setting because it all depends on the lighting condition which varies in different situation and what effects you intend to capture.

The only ideal solution is to fully understand the 3-eay relationship between aperture, shutter speed and ISO and what causes the blur (handshake or motion). So do some reading on them and other basic photography (such as exposure).

Motion blur can be avoided by a faster shutter speed. What shutter speeds depends on a number of factors which basically determines how much the subject will move across the image sensor when the shutter is open. Do a google search on motion blur and you will get lots of reference material.

To avoid handshake blur, the guideline is that the shutter speed is at least faster than 1/focal length. So watch your shutter speed vis-a-vis your focal length. If you can get your shutter speed faster than 1/focal length and your hands are reasonably steady, you can shoot handheld without tripod. Otherwise, in many low light conditions where you can't get a fast enough shutter speed vis-a-vis your focal length despite pushing up the ISO, you would need a tripod.

Alternatively, use the flash.

Thanks to all for the valuable advise, needing more reading & hands-on to improve my skills.

Cheers,
Fel

Try this where ever convenient for you, e.g. your neighbourhood, at night.
Set your camera to self-timer.
ISO - any or try a few, increase gradually
Shutter - 5s to 30s, increase gradually
Aperture - depends, maybe try big aperture first if you're impatient, to capture more light
Put camera on something stable, e.g. table
Press the shutter button, wait... and view.

Please read the Clubsnap terms and conditions in the link below : :devil:

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showpost.php?p=1748616&postcount=4

Hi, thanks for highlighting the terms and the code of conduct of the forum. Just to inform that RavJloh & FelTeh are two different member, one lives in North and one in East of Singapore. We are both new owner of D80, attends same photography class, shares same interest and key challenges. So, we posted the 'help needed' on the above topic using my registration instead of duplicating the effort of having two posting same topic. The last response written by Fel was meant to be a joint appreciation from both of us and we were together using my registration and written by her in front of me.

Please do feel free to let us know should you require further clarifications. Again, we appreciate that you highlighted the concern. Have a good day !

Janet

Hi, thanks for highlighting the terms and the code of conduct of the forum. Just to inform that RavJloh & FelTeh are two different member, one lives in North and one in East of Singapore. We are both new owner of D80, attends same photography class, shares same interest and key challenges. So, we posted the 'help needed' on the above topic using my registration instead of duplicating the effort of having two posting same topic. The last response written by Fel was meant to be a joint appreciation from both of us and we were together using my registration and written by her in front of me.

Please do feel free to let us know should you require further clarifications. Again, we appreciate that you highlighted the concern. Have a good day !

Janet

Oh, I see.

I was shocked when I saw 2 different nicks replying as if they're the same person when they signed off with the same name.

Could you please post pictures of two of you for further clarification? :devil::sweatsm::lovegrin:

BTW, this is another person clockunder2 posting on behalf of clockunder who is now beside me while I type this post. I live in the South while he stays in the East of Singapore.

Regards,
Clockunder2

Oh, I see.

I was shocked when I saw 2 different nicks replying as if they're the same person when they signed off with the same name.

Could you please post pictures of two of you for further clarification? :devil::sweatsm::lovegrin:

BTW, this is another person clockunder2 posting on behalf of clockunder who is now beside me while I type this post. I live in the South while he stays in the East of Singapore.

Regards,
Clockunder2

Ha ha ... you can catch us at the Rugby Seven at Singapore Cricket Club this Sunday to confirm we are 2 and not 1, hee heee ...:cool: Anyway, we can't send u our picture until we master our photoraphy skills and is able to take nice portrait of our own :sweatsm:

Cheers,

Ha ha ... you can catch us at the Rugby Seven at Singapore Cricket Club this Sunday to confirm we are 2 and not 1, hee heee ...:cool: Anyway, we can't send u our picture until we master our photoraphy skills and is able to take nice portrait of our own :sweatsm:

Cheers,

Ok, will keep a futile lookout for the 2 of you if I'm going later today (will if the weather is fine).

Went yesterday and stayed nearly 2 hours there. Saw quite a few female photographers around, all holding DSLRs. I think for today, I must take a closer look to see if they're holding D80. BTW, what zoom lenses are you girls using for this?

Ok, will keep a futile lookout for the 2 of you if I'm going later today (will if the weather is fine).

Went yesterday and stayed nearly 2 hours there. Saw quite a few female photographers around, all holding DSLRs. I think for today, I must take a closer look to see if they're holding D80. BTW, what zoom lenses are you girls using for this?

Hey, we were there this morning before 9am and left at 10ish. Noticed all the photographers there using HUGE lenses except the two of us, quite embarrassing :embrass: . We are only using the Nikkor 18-200mm VR lens :rolleyes:

Cheers,
Fel

Hey, we were there this morning before 9am and left at 10ish. Noticed all the photographers there using HUGE lenses except the two of us, quite embarrassing :embrass: . We are only using the Nikkor 18-200mm VR lens :rolleyes:

Cheers,
Fel

its mind over matter...nothing wrong with your lens...

you tell them...i want 18 got 18...want 200 got 200...nv miss a shot...:sweatsm:

Cheers,
Fel

It depends on how far you want to shoot the action from, whether you are willing to wait for the actions to come close or whether you want to shoot other things there (scene, spectators, kids etc.) for which the wide end is very useful.

Usually, people prefer to use 300-500mm for such events because they don't want to wait a long time for the action to come very near (which may not even happen) and wouldn't want to miss capturing any exciting moments occuring quite far away.

In fact, I'm not even using a DSLR but a prosumer camera Nikon 5700. I like it being light to carry around, easy to handle and don't have to change lenses. The downside is of course picture resolution quality is no where comparable to a DSLR when lighting is poor or when subjects are far away.

If using a D80 with 18-200 VR is embarrassing, then I would feel more embarrassing using just a prosumer camera. :lovegrin::sweatsm:

Dear Fel
Nice meeting u and Jan tonite. Love your gears esp the silver tripod:)

Status
Not open for further replies.