Night photography on moving objective

Status
Not open for further replies.

yihao01

Oct 23, 2006
Munich, Germany
Hi Guys,

I just got my first SLR (Sony Alpha 100-kit) and need some advice from all the experts here. I was trying to take a photo of my son running. If i use any mode other then "S" 1/125 (think it is Tv in Canon?) The pictures turn out totally dark without flash (normal white fluorescent light) how ever if i use the flash, the shadow at the background spoil the picture. Any advise?

Thanx in advance.

I think you need to buy an external flash that can bounce the flash over the roof loh....I am no expert, and I am about to try out exteranl flash soon.....my son doesn't know how to run yet (not even stand, only 6 month:bsmilie: ) so I have some time to waste....:bsmilie:

Hi Guys,

I just got my first SLR (Sony Alpha 100-kit) and need some advice from all the experts here. I was trying to take a photo of my son running. If i use any mode other then "S" 1/125 (think it is Tv in Canon?) The pictures turn out totally dark without flash (normal white fluorescent light) how ever if i use the flash, the shadow at the background spoil the picture. Any advise?

Thanx in advance.

erm...why dun shoot in daytime?

you could try setting a slower shutter speed and do panning.. add a 2nd curtain flash and you can get a frozen image with a blurred background..

you could try setting a slower shutter speed and do panning.. add a 2nd curtain flash and you can get a frozen image with a blurred background..

:bigeyes:

super!!! thats some expert stuff.

yah i guess using flash is more appropriate. 1/125 under fluorescent light is way too fast. you can also UP the ISO or faster lens.

What is a curtain flash?

2nd (or rear) curtain flash means firing the flash at the END of the exposure instead of the beginning of exposure. its a function that some cams have, some doesnt :)

means that you'll have some trails behind the person instead of infront of the person which looks weird..

Hi Guys,

Thanx in advance.

I am new to DSLR. Here's what i learnt so far. 1/125 Tv, i think that means shutter speed, that's way too fast for low light condition. Not enough light getting to the sensor. Your choice, use flash, or higher ISO or BIGGER aperture lense. After learning more about photography, i bought a 50mm, f1.8 lens. It's really great for capturing people at close distance and WORKS WONDERFULLY in low light conditions. Great thing is..it's a cheap addition to your stuff. I let my friends try out my 50mm f1.8 lens, both went out to get it after trying it out. Anyways, just wanted to share my experience. Hope this helps.

Yah, 50 f1.8 is a very good lens:thumbsup: !

I am new to DSLR. Here's what i learnt so far. 1/125 Tv, i think that means shutter speed, that's way too fast for low light condition. Not enough light getting to the sensor. Your choice, use flash, or higher ISO or BIGGER aperture lense. After learning more about photography, i bought a 50mm, f1.8 lens. It's really great for capturing people at close distance and WORKS WONDERFULLY in low light conditions. Great thing is..it's a cheap addition to your stuff. I let my friends try out my 50mm f1.8 lens, both went out to get it after trying it out. Anyways, just wanted to share my experience. Hope this helps.

okieokie... i'll go and try it out!! my wife is giong to kill me liao!! :bsmilie: just spent a bomb and now got to buy new lens again!:p

slower shutter speed at 1/50? I'll try that out!

Yah, 50 f1.8 is a very good lens:thumbsup: !

may i know whats the best price so far?
i reali think tts a gd buy!!!
for yihao: u got sony alpha can afford to use slower shutter speed... got the counter handshake thingy.....

okieokie... i'll go and try it out!! my wife is giong to kill me liao!! :bsmilie: just spent a bomb and now got to buy new lens again!:p

Hehe...buddy, once you get into SLR, you best try to stay away from temptation of lenses and accessories. BUT, the 50mm f1.8 Canon lense that i got, is one of the cheaper ones around. I paid 130 SGD for it. Not sure how much is the similar version for Sony/K-M but would that its similar. Mind sharing what is your kit lens spec?

Erm... I am not a Sony user....I am using Nikon. But 50mm f1.8 is a common lens, should be around <$200, I think.

If pan-shot, handshake is not a problem...:)

may i know whats the best price so far?
i reali think tts a gd buy!!!
for yihao: u got sony alpha can afford to use slower shutter speed... got the counter handshake thingy.....

Hehe...buddy, once you get into SLR, you best try to stay away from temptation of lenses and accessories. BUT, the 50mm f1.8 Canon lense that i got, is one of the cheaper ones around. I paid 130 SGD for it. Not sure how much is the similar version for Sony/K-M but would that its similar. Mind sharing what is your kit lens spec?

Sony has a 50mm F1.4 for S$699!!

anyway the one i'm using now is 18-70mm F3.5-5.6

Sony has a 50mm F1.4 for S$699!!

anyway the one i'm using now is 18-70mm F3.5-5.6

Minolta dun have f1.8... only f1.7 & f1.4... and many variant of each series...

f1.7 i sold 1 recently, bought a f1.4 with circular aperture... but seldom use as well...

y dun u set to a higher aperture and use your pop-up flash before commiting to get better stuff?

You don't actually need the 50mm f/1.4 lens (though it's nice to have, and very useful if you know how to make use of it and its effect). It's hard to compose with a 50mm fix focal lens for a running subject in house, the zoom kit lens would be easier to do that. Although the older Minolta 50mm f/1.7 would be much cheaper 2nd hand from Buy and Sell or from oversea.

You do need the Sony HVL-F56AM flash and set to ceiling bounce mode (twist the flash head facing the ceiling), set ISO to 400 or 800, the focus assist on the flash will help the focusing also, the ceiling bounced light will light up the the surrounding and background in a room.

Have heard other users mentioned that you can get the flash cheaper from shops like Cathay photo (instead of $ony shop).

You don't actually need the 50mm f/1.4 lens (though it's nice to have, and very useful if you know how to make use of it and its effect). It's hard to compose with a 50mm fix focal lens for a running subject in house, the zoom kit lens would be easier to do that. Although the older Minolta 50mm f/1.7 would be much cheaper 2nd hand from Buy and Sell or from oversea.

You do need the Sony HVL-F56AM flash and set to ceiling bounce mode (twist the flash head facing the ceiling), set ISO to 400 or 800, the focus assist on the flash will help the focusing also, the ceiling bounced light will light up the the surrounding and background in a room.

Have heard other users mentioned that you can get the flash cheaper from shops like Cathay photo (instead of $ony shop).

flash cheaper elsewhere, lenses not much of a diff...

i'd say he should start out with pop up 1st before plunging the 600 bucks on the 56am

Status
Not open for further replies.