Night Photography - Boat Quay

Status
Not open for further replies.
240509274_1c1b0ef6a8.jpg

Nikon D70s with AF-S DX 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G & tripod

Ok, firstly, it's neither expansive nor focused. The image lacks a definitive subject you have chopped of the top of the buildings. If you choose not to show the entire building, consider what you are trying to isolate from the building itself; a special architectural feature perhaps?

I think you've tried to cram too much into the image, which is why it doesn't work. Photography is the art of exclusion, so you might want to pick out what you want to show and leave out the mess.

To me it looks like you've simply left the lens at 18mm with no thought for the composition.

your title is - boat quay.

but what i see is a partial "uob" (or is it oub, always mixed up between the 2) building, follow by the other tall sky scraper like "sing tel".

boat quay in this composition is simply non existance.

also, since you are using tripod, may i suggest long exposure to "smooth out" the water?

Please elaborate what do you mean by "long exposure to 'smooth out' the water." Do you mean that I should take the same photo, but using a much slower shutter speed, like 1 to 2 sec or even slower?

I was using the Aperture-Priority mode when I took that night shot and I had set the aperture at F/3.5. Appreciate your constructive feedback. Thanks.

Lack of a concise captivating element in this work to efficiently gain attention. For most, the attention is probably focused on the bright blue portion shine upon the buildings. You might want to alter the photograph a little, perhaps by tweaking the colour and lighting settings.

Overall, I think if you are looking at such a technique of framing buildings, you might want to include more of the waters, perhaps half water and half buildings, with the reflection captured that is.

Cheers.

As above, go for a reshoot. This initial picture dun seem right. Try a longer focus maybe. Get a subject. Try again =D

stupidbear said:
As above, go for a reshoot. This initial picture dun seem right. Try a longer focus maybe. Get a subject. Try again =D

sorr, but what is longer focus?

Status
Not open for further replies.