Night Bus

Status
Not open for further replies.

sjackal

Jul 9, 2008
Nikon D80 with 18-135mm kit lens.

Bus was dark as usual and lighted by lights inside the bus. I was seated at the facing seats right front of the reading girl so I used the 18mm end, f/3.5, ISO1600, 1/15sec. Resized, despeckled and enhanced contrast in photo editor.

I wanted to catch the mood of the routine of going home on the bus at night. The reading girl and sleeping woman in the back, and the normal girl at the right makes a nice normal scene.

But unfortunately I had to shoot fast when the bus stops at red light to be more stable and didn't really check get the chance to adjust focus on the reading girl. :embrass:

Do you think it still makes a good street photo with the lead girl out of focus? :(

MISC026.jpg

Last edited:
I'd say it doesn't, especially when she dominates the frame so much.

I'd say it doesn't, especially when she dominates the frame so much.

Hiyah too bad... I'll try again next time. ;p

Hi. My attention is drawn to the lady sitting just in front of the rear door. Having a large subject in front of your camera out of focus does not mean a bad picture. I'd say its interesting but there's a certain lack of emotion, either through the setting or facial expressions that gives this picture any punch.

Hi. My attention is drawn to the lady sitting just in front of the rear door. Having a large subject in front of your camera out of focus does not mean a bad picture. I'd say its interesting but there's a certain lack of emotion, either through the setting or facial expressions that gives this picture any punch.

Thanx! I like to hear more opinions. :think:

i'd have to agree with calebk, the out of focus girl really occupies too much of the picture, makes it kinda painful to look at. i get a slight headache staring at it. :bsmilie:

I see what you're trying to convey though, and i think it would be better if there was a little more contrast. keep shooting! ;)

i'd have to agree with calebk, the out of focus girl really occupies too much of the picture, makes it kinda painful to look at. i get a slight headache staring at it. :bsmilie:

I see what you're trying to convey though, and i think it would be better if there was a little more contrast. keep shooting! ;)

Yah I also giddy myself, have to try again. :)

My eye was drawn to the mirror instead. Besides the bus's internal lightings are on, nothing really depicts about the "night" mood. Maybe the title could be a simple, "On a bus".

no, this is not a good standalone picture, for many, many reasons

first one that hits you right away is - much too cluttered, oof is another problem

but it *might* work as part of a series, maybe "strangers on buses".. so long as you don't end up getting photos of a auntie's handbag flying at your camera. consistency in the form of precisely oof people might send a message here about anonymity, etc. :)

no, this is not a good standalone picture, for many, many reasons

first one that hits you right away is - much too cluttered, oof is another problem

but it *might* work as part of a series, maybe "strangers on buses".. so long as you don't end up getting photos of a auntie's handbag flying at your camera. consistency in the form of precisely oof people might send a message here about anonymity, etc. :)

Yah... maybe if the focus was on the reading girl then the background will be blur and not so cluttered.

As I had resigned to it, will try again when got the chance.

Perhaps - just perhaps, maybe, or what if...

that you could have the reading girl sharp focus, blurred background - bokeh - instead. With the title as READ; Anywhere. Will it give another perspective to the picture?

hmmm yea i think the oof girl occupies just abit too much. and yes it's a little two clutterd. would have been alot better if it was taken in the center lane (between the two collums of seats). now that would have turned out better i think.

i dont mean to be rude, but there's no composition in your photo. too many things going on and no real focus. but we all start somewhere, dont we? keep on snapping..

you might wana check this guy out. really dope pictures of people on the tube.. very nice on the whole.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/junku-newcleus/

i dont mean to be rude, but there's no composition in your photo. too many things going on and no real focus. but we all start somewhere, dont we? keep on snapping..

you might wana check this guy out. really dope pictures of people on the tube.. very nice on the whole.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/junku-newcleus/

If I think the pic is good I won't be putting it up here for critique. When put up for critique, won't be afraid to hear comments because no matter how good you've done, still got people say bad, and no matter how bad you've done, still got people say good.

But isn't it so extra when the later respondents just echos the same comments the earlier respondents had said so many times.

Please kindly take a moment to read the whole thread. :sticktong

If I think the pic is good I won't be putting it up here for critique. When put up for critique, won't be afraid to hear comments because no matter how good you've done, still got people say bad, and no matter how bad you've done, still got people say good.

But isn't it so extra when the later respondents just echos the same comments the earlier respondents had said so many times.

Please kindly take a moment to read the whole thread. :sticktong

lol @ your last sentence. night8mare has an interesting idea, a series with an anonyminity theme. but still please let the oof person take up less of the frame, super giddy to look at.

i disagree with kruger, i think that the lights can add even more to the "night" part of the title. but there has to be greater contrast between the lights and the surroundings.

All my own opinion of course :) so feel free to disagree.

My eye was drawn to the mirror instead. Besides the bus's internal lightings are on, nothing really depicts about the "night" mood. Maybe the title could be a simple, "On a bus".

i disagree with kruger, i think that the lights can add even more to the "night" part of the title. but there has to be greater contrast between the lights and the surroundings...

I concur with vonlichenstein - how can it be possible to even think that it is not night when there is zero ambient light coming in from the windows?

Actually I got another pic, but its not good as well. I hate the distracting metal pole, thought of cropping it out but due to the lady's gaze on the right whom's watching TV mobile so I gotta leave some space inbetween the right frame to look right.

Though I am wondering will it be a better pic than the first?

MISC025.jpg

Last edited:
Putting up the first pic is already drawing some helpful comments and critiques; putting up another similar, taken at the same spot doesnt make any difference already. Should be working on a fresh new setting based on the given tips.

Cheers~

haha i'll just throw in my 2 cents worth since i'm bored at work. The second pic has a very bluish tinge to it, looks kinda strange. I *think* its the white balance? Also, there's too much head room, the vent on the roof of the bus is... unnecessary. The second picture doesn't seem to have a clear message. I prefer the first. Go shoot more! i like your last series better. (was it you with the street shoot at clark quay?

haha i'll just throw in my 2 cents worth since i'm bored at work. The second pic has a very bluish tinge to it, looks kinda strange. I *think* its the white balance? Also, there's too much head room, the vent on the roof of the bus is... unnecessary. The second picture doesn't seem to have a clear message. I prefer the first. Go shoot more! i like your last series better. (was it you with the street shoot at clark quay?

Blue cast should be from the conversion, not the camera itself. You can't have WB problems in the form of colour cast if shooting B&W.

TS, are you using the Gorman method of conversion?

Status
Not open for further replies.