Night Bridge Picture

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scann69

Feb 25, 2005
Singapore
scann69.fotopic.net
Do you think it's over exposed? Is this even a composition? :think: Comments please. Thanx.

y81h33.jpg

the exposure is just right.

Scann69 said:
Do you think it's over exposed? Is this even a composition? :think: Comments please. Thanx.

y81h33.jpg

Notice the patchy stuff near at the lights?
do try to use lower iso (80) to prevent grain in the first place, then no need to run thru neat image or other noise reducing software.

oh ya, since the bridge is the focal point, u want want to either level it, or just go artistic and let the bridge run from corner to corner of the pic.

rhair78 said:
Notice the patchy stuff near at the lights?
do try to use lower iso (80) to prevent grain in the first place, then no need to run thru neat image or other noise reducing software.

oh ya, since the bridge is the focal point, u want want to either level it, or just go artistic and let the bridge run from corner to corner of the pic.

Point noted. Good point. Never thought of leveling the bridge. Got to keep that in mind the next time. The ISO...well, at ISO 80 or 100, it's going to be under expose even with F and shutter to the max. I guess that is one problem with using the FZ20.

Scann69 said:
Point noted. Good point. Never thought of leveling the bridge. Got to keep that in mind the next time. The ISO...well, at ISO 80 or 100, it's going to be under expose even with F and shutter to the max. I guess that is one problem with using the FZ20.

Not true...

I used my FZ10 for night shots before, ISO usually set below 200, not a problem at all.

You just need to make sure you got the right combination of shutter speed and f-stop setting, it is achievable.

JimDavis said:
Not true...

I used my FZ10 for night shots before, ISO usually set below 200, not a problem at all.

You just need to make sure you got the right combination of shutter speed and f-stop setting, it is achievable.

This is like the 1st time i had to set the ISO to 400 but with ISO 400, F 8 & shutter at 8 seconds, this is the result i got. I guess at ISO 200 the reading will show a little under exposed but the picture should be ok.

Scann69 said:
This is like the 1st time i had to set the ISO to 400 but with ISO 400, F 8 & shutter at 8 seconds, this is the result i got. I guess at ISO 200 the reading will show a little under exposed but the picture should be ok.

Can play around with f5.6, shutter 3sec etc.. play around lor..

Scann69 said:

Set your ISO to around 200 first, try lower your f-stop to 5.6, if that works well, then reduce your ISO further down to 3.3 or even 2.8, then shoot....keep the shutter speed at 8 seconds first...

The nite shots I have done so far are all using P mode...
Usually at nite, I will not shoot or use fully automatic, cos at nite I can't think very well, especially with numbers....

Try using P mode as well.... sometimes u will realised that it is very helpful too...
Hey.... don't think by using P mode, means u are not good in taking photos...
Spent more time in the composition and be creative, let technology do the rest...

cheers...
And see you all this sat... And lets use P mode together... haha....

Scann69

I think you have mistaken the f number as the bigger the better. Actually the f number works the other way. The smaller the number, the more light enters the camera. So f2.8 will allows the most light to enter the camera.

Cheers
John

Well, U can use the program to reduce ur Noise. Try not to use on ISO 400 as it create more noise on ur photo.

how about using ur EV instead? Result is that, it better then u get it alittle underexposed then over because you can do some adjustment on PS. Unless you are perfectionalist to make sure u dun use PS at all ;)

I think, the best way is to try different mode, different ISO different setting to get the idea. Something which I wanna try it. No harm playing all the setting to get what you wan so that you had the rough idea in ur mind ;)

i would like to recommend you to get a book which covers very well about exposure:

Book Title: Understanding Exposure (Revised Edition)
Author: Bryan Peterson
Publisher: AMPHOTO BOOKS
ISBN: 0-8174-6300-3
Where to get: Ricebow book store, level 4, Adelphi

It will definitely help in understanding how exposure works, and how to get the effect you want in playing with the f-stop, shutter speed, etc.

JimDavis said:
i would like to recommend you to get a book which covers very well about exposure:

Book Title: Understanding Exposure (Revised Edition)
Author: Bryan Peterson
Publisher: AMPHOTO BOOKS
ISBN: 0-8174-6300-3
Where to get: Ricebow book store, level 4, Adelphi

It will definitely help in understanding how exposure works, and how to get the effect you want in playing with the f-stop, shutter speed, etc.

interesting. Let me know who got it so that I can borrow and read it :embrass:

josho said:
interesting. Let me know who got it so that I can borrow and read it :embrass:

Maybe National Library. :p

JimDavis said:
Set your ISO to around 200 first, try lower your f-stop to 5.6, if that works well, then reduce your ISO further down to 3.3 or even 2.8, then shoot....keep the shutter speed at 8 seconds first...

Iso 200 hor still way too noisy... as in if u try to brightness the picture in PS the noise will be very prominent. Try ISO 80... but bigger aperature... so more light will go in...

How to frame photos, frame ur stuff in P mode... Then switch to M mode to set the f stop and shutter speed... That is the only way to be able to frame the photos nicely...

Cheers...

tkp77 said:
The nite shots I have done so far are all using P mode...
Usually at nite, I will not shoot or use fully automatic, cos at nite I can't think very well, especially with numbers....

Try using P mode as well.... sometimes u will realised that it is very helpful too...
Hey.... don't think by using P mode, means u are not good in taking photos...
Spent more time in the composition and be creative, let technology do the rest...

cheers...
And see you all this sat... And lets use P mode together... haha....

I agree with Francis. Most of my pics in P are better than in A or S mode. The camera sets better exposure than me!
Only when I want to learn setting than I use those mode. Usually the pic so so la. :embrass:
However, for night shots I always use A. So, poor results I got! :cry:

LifeWorld said:
I agree with Francis. Most of my pics in P are better than in A or S mode. The camera sets better exposure than me!
Only when I want to learn setting than I use those mode. Usually the pic so so la. :embrass:
However, for night shots I always use A. So, poor results I got! :cry:

If I do not recall wrongly, most of the night scenes that I had taken in the past are using manual setting...

Result good or not? hmmmm...u judge lor...

John Teoh said:
Scann69

I think you have mistaken the f number as the bigger the better. Actually the f number works the other way. The smaller the number, the more light enters the camera. So f2.8 will allows the most light to enter the camera.

Cheers
John

John, you are so right. Damn, i forgot about the F number. I was so into getting the star like shape from the lights around i forgot that that i set the F number way to high which of course allow lesser light thus even setting the longest shutter still makes the picture underexpose. I therefore increase the ISO to 400 just to get the right exposure.

Damn, how could i overlooked that :cry: Anyway, thanx man.

Hey, thanx to those who has commented on my picture. I realise the mistake. I was way too focus on making sure the light are in star like shape which caused the lack in light and the increase in ISO.

Again, thanx everyone for taking the time to comment. Your comments are highly appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.