NIce shots.. but how???

Status
Not open for further replies.

fergo

Mar 19, 2007
Singapore
www.flickr.com
hi bros.. was looking through these shots over the net. i wonder wat kind of ISO and exp settings to use to achieve such a great shot? apparently the shots seem to be taken off a tripod. given its sharpness at that low light conditions..

photographer's setting were given too. but only state 60mm, f/2.8 & 1/250s. how to get the sufficient brightness at such high shutter speed? too high ISO will have quite significant noise right?

gurus out there pls advise.. thank you :)

here's the link to the album ---> http://www.fotop.net/zivlai/zivlai38

hi bros.. was looking through these shots over the net. i wonder wat kind of ISO and exp settings to use to achieve such a great shot? apparently the shots seem to be taken off a tripod. given its sharpness at that low light conditions..

photographer's setting were given too. but only state 60mm, f/2.8 & 1/250s. how to get the sufficient brightness at such high shutter speed? too high ISO will have quite significant noise right?

Looks like the ISO640-800 range.

Actually, if you have 10Mp and downsize it to these kind of thumbnails, the noise becomes practically invisible 95% of the time!

Not sure of the D70, but on my 40D, even at ISO1600, when I do this sort of downsizing, the noise is negligible in the eventual pict, even when you pixel peep at 100%.

depends...

post processing of noise reduction and color enhancement can bring up the overall feel of the picture.

newer digital sensors are capable of high iso, some 'usable' on iso3200... but usable is subjective to each individual.

I don't see why not, and some pics are relatively noisy. Just that they've downsized, it's not too apparent. He's shooting against a brighter backdrop for some. It's nothing too extraodinary.. he tweaked Ev +1 and used F2.8-3.3.

Looks like the ISO640-800 range.

Actually, if you have 10Mp and downsize it to these kind of thumbnails, the noise becomes practically invisible 95% of the time!

Not sure of the D70, but on my 40D, even at ISO1600, when I do this sort of downsizing, the noise is negligible in the eventual pict, even when you pixel peep at 100%.

i'm using a D80 with a AF 50mm f/1.8. with that kind of sharpness, do u reckon he's using a tripod? n wat abt the WB??

i'm using a D80 with a AF 50mm f/1.8. with that kind of sharpness, do u reckon he's using a tripod? n wat abt the WB??

I dont tink he is using tripod as said in ur first post, he is using 1/250 and at 60mm. At tt focal length and shutter speed, i dont tink he would require a tripod.

I dont tink he is using tripod as said in ur first post, he is using 1/250 and at 60mm. At tt focal length and shutter speed, i dont tink he would require a tripod.

den how he manage to get that kind of brightness at that kind of low-light condition?
just by ISO?? or exposure also? +0.3?? +0.7??

what abt white balance?

From what I can see from his EXIF shooting data...he mostly likely using the Micro 60mm fully open at F2.8. For those who have not used a F2.8 apeture lens..it is pretty bright especially if most are so use to owning all those zoom lens ...eg with only F5.6 to F3.5 aperture. All of a sudden you have a F2.8 and you suddenly find so much brighter scene or the luxury of having faster shutter speed. On top of that, he set compensate of 1+ bringing it to 1/80 from what I think is /125 shutter speed. No noise reduction switch on.

Exspore is Apeture Priority and centre weight. The reason he can get faster shutter speed could be due to two things. Higher ISO and he is metering base on the lightings intensity. He is not out to create a well lit shot of the scene if you notice. He could also PP to bring up the brightness abit and even saturate the colour abit. But what I can sense is he is exposing to get the lighting not to burn 0out and some of the other parts to be in dim light or shadow. Ambient lighting. He still want to keep some portion of the scene dark. The mannequin window are already slightly white out and lost all detail due to the spotlight but he still took metering from one of those spots but not entirely ( it was set to centre weighted after all so some whiteout still happens)

It might not look like he meter the light since most of the scene in the center area is not lit well. But he could have took his reading...press the exposure lock and then recompose his shot. How many out there forgot your camera can do that? OR do anyone here ever shot with metering mode of centre weighted or spot these days? heheheheh...I say he meter for the lights as the lights in the background are not that burnout. I die die most of the time have my DSLR set to centre weighted. Matrix does not work at all in my opinion when you are doing night shoot

Not all night scene are really that dimly lit. Some cities have very brightly lit streets due to giant neons sign, street lamps, strong light emitting from department store windows or glass interiors...etc. You could end up with a street that is almost as bright as day I dare say.

And as some one who owned a 60 mm micro lens previously. This is a tack sharp lens even if you are not using it for macro shooting.

Also know that most of the time if you leave it to your camera to do the metering and auto set for you...it's program to try to get you the best lighting to light everything up. But like night scene shots...that kind of programming logic does not work that is why I never shot night with Matrix metering.. You have to use your expeience and to take over in such situation. Trust me, if you set everything to auto...you will end up with a very slow shutter speed selection and if you do shot on auto, those night shot will look very washout.

Well that is how I see it lah.

Yes, the ISO range should be in between 400 - 800. Using a EV chart, this would be in the 8 or 9 range to achieve such exposures.

its quite possible that it was iso 1600. it does seem quite noisy, esp in the areas which are in the shadows. also, like some others mentioned, some pp might have been done to reduce noise or increase brightness

somehow the exif for ISO seems to be missing:dunno:

wah.. took me awhile to digest wat u guys are trying to say.. haha.. anyway, i always have problem shooting nice shots. i simply dun know how to set it up properly to give a relatively nice shots. i can get it nice here den an hour later when the sun goes down, everything changes n den i'm lost.

there are couple of times i did take some decent shots but when lighting changes (under shelter, shadows etc), the pic gets underexposed. at this point in time, do i first set the ISO, or exp value? assuming i'm using Aperture priority mode. on the other hand, i can get a nice and warm shot but when i get into diff lighting environment, the pic gets bluish. assuming i get the exposure i wan already. i know its the white balance setting. so wat are the common WB setting u guys use? Auto? n i just found out that WB can also set a value. so wat is the value? tried reading the D80 manual but cant seem to understand a thing. can someone here put it in lay man's term? thanks.. :)

Looking at the shots, I would say that other then the settings, there could be a bit of PS involved. As sammy888 has mentioned, these kind of shots are entirely possible with f/2.8 lenses. Looking at the noise in the pictures though, I guess there was probably some pulling of the shadow details.

Status
Not open for further replies.