Nice film/slide review site with samples for people who shoot film

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, but I think film is dying on 35mm.... Think what the 8MP 20D can do to a highest resolution slide film... Kind of sad.

there's always life for film....i hope!
must admit, the new ccd tech are very impressive but i still feel there's a kind of magic in film. it always feels more satisfying somehow. but i would admit, film is dead for the pros cos it makes economic sense to use digital. but i do hope enough film users remain to keep it alive.

theITguy said:
Thanks, but I think film is dying on 35mm.... Think what the 8MP 20D can do to a highest resolution slide film... Kind of sad.

you may be true to a certain extend that 8mp 20D can do wonders but film is still film. Gain has a certain structure noise cannot copy, it just feels different. If you do not understand the aesthetics, its fine, most ppl dun anyway or that they do not appreciate it.

Like the title -> "for people who shoot film". If you dun shoot film, no need to bother about those who shoot film right :devil:

Quoted from Mr Spielberg: "There's a magic about chemistry and film. Sure, a digital shot is steady. It doesn't have to ride through the gate of a projector. And, sure, it's as clean as the OR in a major hospital. That's exactly what's wrong with it. Film has a molecular structure called grain; even a still of just a flower in a vase has life because of the grain, because of the molecules in the film. Especially if you sit in the first five rows of any movie theater, you know what I'm talking about. The screen is alive. The screen is always alive with chaos and excitement, and that will certainly be gone when we convert to a digital camera and a digital projector. I was one of the first people to use digital technology to enhance my films, but I'm going to be the last person to use digital technology to shoot my movies."

Not I said one, I dare not challenge Mr. Spielberg :B

Belle&Sebastain said:
you may be true to a certain extend that 8mp 20D can do wonders but film is still film. Gain has a certain structure noise cannot copy, it just feels different. If you do not understand the aesthetics, its fine, most ppl dun anyway or that they do not appreciate it.

I do not understand in depth, but film has its value in some ways that not many people will see it. Of course we have to face reality that if there are no more importers of film or processing films capability, or that it became much more expensive then we have to move on to digital.

theITguy said:
I do not understand in depth, but film has its value in some ways that not many people will see it. Of course we have to face reality that if there are no more importers of film or processing films capability, or that it became much more expensive then we have to move on to digital.

dun make it sound technical cos its not, you can see it straight away the differences of a digital file and a film picture. Its a feeling and a look.

Its how much you want your end image to look and feel that you use the different mediums. If money is always a concern then its time to change a hobby. Both mediums co-exist at this time now and there are enough people whom understand the differences for each different usage.

i find it easy to understand the differences and appreicate both mediums. I do not feel that by lobbying one medium over another will make any artist look correct. Different ppl take great pains to work on their perferred medium to create their signature look.

one of the reasons why I did not move into digital SLR
is the lifespend of the sensor.

how long can it last ? (as time goes by, sensor will go die)
bear in mind that all these are electronic parts
will not last longer than normal SLR.

As a film user, I alway change the medium which is the flim.
I only have to worry about the shutter and other parts
COst wise relatively cheap.

Shooting in film make me feel strong in the foundation of photography.
:)

Just my 2 cents

Status
Not open for further replies.