Nice Eats in Melbourne, Australia

canon450D

Aug 27, 2008
I would like to thank the brothers for their valuable information here on Perth. I found Kailis for that reason and the food was good.

Now I would like to ask for their recommendation on good eats in Melbourne. Thank you.

You going to Melbourne anytime soon?
For holiday or business?
Staying in city area, or the suburbs?
You prefer Asian, Chinese or western food?

You can't go wrong with Ying Thai at lygon street. While you are there, try the durian gelato at an ice cream shop besides Ying Thai. And also, try Koko Black, also at lygon street.

Will post again if I can think of anything :)

Not sure what you are after but here's a short list of places I would go to:

Thai:
Ying Thai : Richmond

Korean:
Wooga : City
Seoul Restaurant: City

Japanese:
Ocha2go : Hawthorn

Coffee:
SevenSeeds : Carlton
Brother Baba Budan : City
SensoryLab : City (In David Jones)
Cafe Notturno : Lygon Street

HongKong / Malaysian:
Rose Garden : City
Dessert House : City

Hope that helps.

Thanks bros. Now in Melbourne. Staying in Chinatown. Any further suggestions? Thks.

Western Food
La Porchetta in North Melbourne

Thai Food
Cocker Alley in Flinders Street

Chinese Food
Rose Garden BBQ in Elizabeth Street
Shanghai Dumpling Restaurant in Tattersalls Lane, Chinatown

Indonesian Food
Nelayan Indonesian in Swanston street

Budget but nice Japanese Food
Hanaichi Japanese in QV

Budget but nice Asian (Chinese/Vietnamese) Food

Western Food

Chinese Food

I second Rose Garden! My regular eatery when I''m lazy to cook!

But I'll NEVER ever step into Shanghai Dumpling again! It has been shut down several times due to hygiene problem (e.g. rats and roaches). And the last time I went there, service was DAMN BAD! Please do not ruin your Melbourne trip because of this...

Try Nasi Lemak House along Cardigan Street, adjacent to Grattan Street. Another of my favourite eatery!

Lanna Thai along Flemington Road adjacent Villiers Street is also good! But a bit on the expensive end...

Another must-try for me is the bratwurst at Queen Victoria Market! You can't miss it if you're there cos' it's always having a long queue!

For fast food, try Grill'D and Nandos! Once you tried the Nandos there, you wouldn't want to try the one in Singapore!

Have fun!

I second Rose Garden! My regular eatery when I''m lazy to cook!

But I'll NEVER ever step into Shanghai Dumpling again! It has been shut down several times due to hygiene problem (e.g. rats and roaches). And the last time I went there, service was DAMN BAD! Please do not ruin your Melbourne trip because of this...

Try Nasi Lemak House along Cardigan Street, adjacent to Grattan Street. Another of my favourite eatery!

Lanna Thai along Flemington Road adjacent Villiers Street is also good! But a bit on the expensive end...

Another must-try for me is the bratwurst at Queen Victoria Market! You can't miss it if you're there cos' it's always having a long queue!

For fast food, try Grill'D and Nandos! Once you tried the Nandos there, you wouldn't want to try the one in Singapore!

Have fun!

Second that on Nandos and Rose Garden. May be an issue for anyone allergic to MSG..Rose Garden uses a fair bit of that...but food's great and reasonable.

You may find this funny but try the KFC here. The chooks are definitely sweeter and juicier than ones in SG.

Another place worth going in the city is Degraves Street. Perfect place to enjoy a cuppa coffee. Nice place for photoshoots too.

I agree hygiene and service at Shanghai Dumpling is not great, but considering the taste and price, still acceptable to me.. been having meals at the restaurant several times, so far no problem.

To the thread starter: If you are not too hygiene and service conscious, no harm trying.. but do prepare for a 5-10 min waiting time during weekend dinner time, usually a queue awaits you.

for fast food. u can try hungry jack (burger king renamed in australia)... i missed hungry jack!

Western Food

Thai Food

Chinese Food

Indonesian Food
Nelayan Indonesian in Swanston street

Budget but nice Japanese Food
Hanaichi Japanese in QV

Budget but nice Asian (Chinese/Vietnamese) Food