Niagara Falls photographing tips

bethpapa74

Jan 28, 2011
Hi,
I will be soon traveling to Niagara Falls with my beloved d700 + 24-70 f2.8.

I would like to ask do i need a ND filter or Polarizing filters??

Any others tips??

to be able to shoot the falls with a smooth and calming effect, you will need Neutral Density Filters (ND Filters). on a bright sunny day, normally people use the ND 10 filters to create a longer exposure for the smooth calming effect.

Have you tried before?

Nope never did water falls before ... which type of ND filters do i need exactly... is there a circulating type which i can render?

Hi Jason,
when you say ND10, do you mean 10-stops??

The most common ones are ND2,4,8,16 (which gives 0.3, 0.6, 0.9, 1.2)

There is the B+W ND 110 which is a 10 stop ND filter. It's a good filter but that's my opinion only.

bethpapa74 said:
Hi Jason,
when you say ND10, do you mean 10-stops??

The most common ones are ND2,4,8,16 (which gives 0.3, 0.6, 0.9, 1.2)

Hello again!

The most common ND filters used are B+W and Hoya HD. Yup ND10 refers to 10stops.

You can get it easily in the Buy & Sell section and also in the Mass Sales section, particular from this seller Henessy. You gotta check if he has stocks available though.

10stops will create a effect like this: http://www.free-extras.com/images/niagara_falls-12448.htm

Water will be very smooth and silky as the website shows. Sorry i'm surfing using my phone right now hence unable to show you a better image. However if you want to capture real choppy waters, you just need to have a normal UV filter on your lens.

What lens are you using by the way? For a 77mm diameter lens, it will cost you $135 plus minus for the B+W ND10.

Circular polarising (CPL) filter would be good if you have the budget. B+W Slim CPL filters will set you back about $200+. They are good at increasing saturatiom especially against the blue sky. Colors will have better contrast.

Hope i explained myself good and didnt cause any confusion! :)

sorry my bad for asking what lens u were using. Yup 24-70 will be the 77mm. :)

Right now in the market theres a filter called the ND Fader filter. It has variable ND stops. Which means to say you can choose turn the filter in such a way that you can start from ND2, ND4 up till ND10.

The authentic original is from this brand called the LCW ND Fader. If im not wrong, lcw represents Light Camera Workshop. It has a authorised distributor in Singapore which is sgcamerastore. Can checkout the website www.sgcamerastore.com

Price should be $170.

Well, downside of this ND filter is it can't really be used to its maximum capability at ND10 as it will cause vignetting(darkening of the corners). I haven't tried it yet but judging from my buddy's pictures, it does really cause vignetting.

I would suggest the B+W ND10 as under the big bright sun, minimum you will need is a ND10.

One last thing before i forget!

To shoot with long exposure to get the smooth calming effect, you will definitely need a tripod!

Read that you are on a business trip. Will you be able to carry so much equipment?

hi Jason,
Thanks for your prompt reply.

Lucky for me, I travel with my 2kg manfrotto tripod this time... ok i'll check if Amazon or BHphoto sells the ND fader

I dun think it will cause vignetting at normal focus length (such as ur 24-70mm). Those who are panick are ppl using UWA and attaching these Fader on. I was a victim too when I tried it on my tokina 11-16mm. I've to shoot at 12mm in order to crop out the filter frame. Then again, you might want to consider vsiting sgcamerastore, they have both LCW and cheapo brand version. Ask the boss to let you test on ur 24-70mm. He should be quite willing, plus got 5% discount if u sign up as a member.

Hi Jason,

I happen to found this on BHphoto.
Genus 77mm ND (Neutral Density) Fader Filter

The Genus 77mm ND Fader Filter is unique in the world of neutral density filters. Other companies make you buy individual ND filters to meet your needs (i.e. 1-stop, 2-stop, etc.). Genus provides one filter that generates 2-8 stops of neutral density depending on how it is rotated.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/676824-REG/Genus_GL_GNDF_77_77mm_ND_Neutral_Density.html

hi Jason,
Thanks for your prompt reply.

Lucky for me, I travel with my 2kg manfrotto tripod this time... ok i'll check if Amazon or BHphoto sells the ND fader

that's good to hear! i will be looking forward to your pictures when you are back! ;)

Just bought LCW (Light Craft Workshop) 77mm Fader ND Mark II from amazon.

cost = $125 usd
shipping = $5 usd
Total damage = $130 usd

41FBCAekkCL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003RDF2MS

Review of this Fader ND
http://flashraw.com/review-light-craft-workshop-fader-nd-mk-ii/

Do consider waterproofing your equipment. You'll get lots of water spray.

Have a good trip.

Hi,
I will be soon traveling to Niagara Falls with my beloved d700 + 24-70 f2.8.

I would like to ask do i need a ND filter or Polarizing filters??

Any others tips??

most will say ND filter.
This one says a polarizing filter as well.

what I suggest is to practice shooting a bit of waterfall locally. You probably wouldn't want to practice shooting waterfall on location.

I was there 2 months ago, besides preparing all the gears for the shoot, you will also need to plan out the time you are there, especially if you want to set up your tripod and take a good shot. The whole stretch will be jam-packed with tourist after 9-10am and continue to be so till late at night. The falls will be lighted up at night and there will be fireworks at the fall on friday and sunday night.

if you want to take your time and enjoy the fury of the falls, skip maid of the mist boat ride. on both the canadian and US side, you can go down to the bottom of the falls and feel the fury in person and take your own sweet time to set up the shots. but be warned, your camera will get very wet, especially on the american side.