Niagara Falls photographing tips

khaiseng said:
I was there 2 months ago, besides preparing all the gears for the shoot, you will also need to plan out the time you are there, especially if you want to set up your tripod and take a good shot. The whole stretch will be jam-packed with tourist after 9-10am and continue to be so till late at night. The falls will be lighted up at night and there will be fireworks at the fall on friday and sunday night.

if you want to take your time and enjoy the fury of the falls, skip maid of the mist boat ride. on both the canadian and US side, you can go down to the bottom of the falls and feel the fury in person and take your own sweet time to set up the shots. but be warned, your camera will get very wet, especially on the american side.

Been to the canadian side abt 2 yrs back. Same, will get very wet. U may want to bring a water proof pns to shoot maid of the mist or behind the falls.

nice! what filters were u using alr?

I was there 2 months ago, besides preparing all the gears for the shoot, you will also need to plan out the time you are there, especially if you want to set up your tripod and take a good shot. The whole stretch will be jam-packed with tourist after 9-10am and continue to be so till late at night. The falls will be lighted up at night and there will be fireworks at the fall on friday and sunday night.

if you want to take your time and enjoy the fury of the falls, skip maid of the mist boat ride. on both the canadian and US side, you can go down to the bottom of the falls and feel the fury in person and take your own sweet time to set up the shots. but be warned, your camera will get very wet, especially on the american side.

but someone captured a winning shot in a reputable photo comp doing it. :)

hi Jason,
did not use any filter... had to wait for big fat clouds to cover the strong sun before I could snap.

I had to compromise the shutter speed in order not to get over exposed ... i think it would be nicer with ND filter.. cannot wait for it to arrive.

bethpapa74 said:
hi Jason,
did not use any filter... had to wait for big fat clouds to cover the strong sun before I could snap.

I had to compromise the shutter speed in order not to get over exposed ... i think it would be nicer with ND filter.. cannot wait for it to arrive.

i see. can't wait to see the actual niagara shots!

bethpapa74 said:
hi Jason,

You may wanna consider to take up the square filter system...

but someone captured a winning shot in a reputable photo comp doing it. :)

is it available online? will definitely like to see how the shot was taken.

shooting at the bottom of the falls is definitely doable, just a matter of how much risk you want to take. it will be slightly easier if you are using a weather-proof camera

bethpapa74, if ur cam has multiple exposure function, try it.
Might not be as good as a ND filter itself but better than nothing :)

@ terabyte : or anyone could advise what type of water proofing are we looking at ?
@ coolthough : in SG where is good to test the shoots before going to Niagara falls? Suntec City?only place wif "falls" thats all i could think of.

@ bethpapa 74 : when are you going i m going there too in late Sept/early OCT too , would want to start practicing now to get a good shot there.planning to get a D 90 for the trip.

I am still contemplating on CANON EOS 60D or Nikon D90 , well, i have to choose eventually.

Last edited:
Field trip completed ... pictures for your review and kind comment.
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.2153264583796.2121237.1011840058&type=1

Hi futsal123,
I think camera exposure compensation works differently from having a ND filters.
Hi Oscar23,
You can go to Marina barrack to practice your shots, i think it will be useful. Bring a tripod remember.

My suggestion after the trip ...
1. go early for free parking, else you pay $10 per day. I drove 5hrs from Albany to Niagara, reach 6am and park inside Comfort Inn which is stone throw from the park.
2. skip the stupid huge food court! The food is ex and disgusting... I rather you eat inside HRC or sidewalk hotdogs.
3. Bring a sturdy tripod. .. i had my manfrotto ones which kept my camera firm.
4. You will need a polarizer and ND filter if you want that 'smooth-silky' effect... I bought a LCW fader mark2. Its not much cheaper here after tax.
http://www.amazon.com/77mm-Fader-ND-Mark-II/dp/B003RDF2MS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1313488630&sr=8-1
5. I did not have a UWA, only brought along my beloved 24-70f2.8. Tempted to get the 14mmf2.8 but budget constraint. You can consider Tokina 11-16f2.8 if you are getting a DX body.
6. The view taken under the falls isnt spectacular due to the heavy mistings ... plus it is difficult to mount your tripod on the boat. I suggest you hidding your camera under the free poncho, bring it out to take quick snaps as and when it is necessary.
7. spend one day over at US side ... goto Goat island where you can get really close to the America Falls and Bridal Veil Falls.
8. Can consider driving over to the Canadian side just for couple of hours to get a wider shots on the entire Niagara Falls.
9. Late Sept/Oct might be cold in the morning and night... remember to bring thermal wears.

I dropped my freaking n24-70f2.8!!! F*** man .. front barrel crack and distorted, zoom ring also stiff now. I checked the lens elements, all in tact and still can AF.
IQ looks ok. Anyone knows how much to repair it at NSC? (barrel replacement, re-alignment, cleaning)

Last edited:
hi Bethpapa: thanks for the advice.

I was there in 2010. It is better to stay at Niagara than going on a day trip and shoot day & nite. At nite, they have color lights directed at the water. Tripod definite for nite. I think no need for ND filters......the water falls very fast so with or without ND, it is the same. One thing though, don't climb over the railings like the Jap girl who did a few days ago & disappear.

I was there in 2010. It is better to stay at Niagara than going on a day trip and shoot day & nite. At nite, they have color lights directed at the water. Tripod definite for nite. I think no need for ND filters......the water falls very fast so with or without ND, it is the same. One thing though, don't climb over the railings like the Jap girl who did a few days ago & disappear.

yes yes .. i was there over (same time same date) at US side. We heard loud sirens over at Canada side and joke about it.
When we return, friends told us someone trip over the railings.

Er...... when I was there..... I don't remember it needing a high dynamic range because that place isn't that bright but if you GND, ND10, no harm, just bring along.

Do consider waterproofing your equipment. You'll get lots of water spray.

Have a good trip.

I second this, especially near the Horseshoe Falls. This is probably more important than deciding which filters to bring. :bsmilie:

Any photos to share ??

Thread moved to Travel Photograhy since it has nothing to do with Nikon equipment.