NFs who are boss


Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 20, 2004
497
0
0
33
#1
I have come across a few entreprenurs on Straits Times who are NSFs still serving army.

They are running their own company and serving the army at the same time.

Is this moonlighting :dunno: ?
 

jsbn

Senior Member
Jul 24, 2002
2,944
0
0
Planet Eropagnis
#4
Erm... You SURE you don't know that meaning? :eek:

In short, "Taking up a secondary job that's outside that of ur primary day job."

And don't take NSF as a 'service'. When u're still in NS, ur primary work is to serve the nation.
 

Feb 20, 2004
497
0
0
33
#5
jsbn said:
Erm... You SURE you don't know that meaning? :eek:

In short, "Taking up a secondary job that's outside that of ur primary day job."

And don't take NSF as a 'service'. When u're still in NS, ur primary work is to serve the nation.

ok. How about those in the papers ? The photo of the guy is clearly shown on the papers and stated that he is still serving NS and has staff around the world. :think:
 

Drudkh

Senior Member
Mar 2, 2004
6,129
0
0
lulu island
#6
If the NSF owns a company outside is considered moonlighting, then what about those who help their parents that own a business? eg: hawkers, owns a provision shop, etc.. which is pretty common.
 

Drudkh

Senior Member
Mar 2, 2004
6,129
0
0
lulu island
#7
alwayschampion said:
ok. How about those in the papers ? The photo of the guy is clearly shown on the papers and stated that he is still serving NS and has staff around the world. :think:
If its already on newspaper and Mindef didn't do a single thing, means its legal. So what if Mindef takes action? Ask him to close business? then it'll be another BIG joke all over the world.
 

dominator

Senior Member
Mar 7, 2005
1,662
0
0
11
Amazon Forest
#8
I often read such news but sad to say most of those young entreprenurs are often from somehow rich families............imo.
Else how to have the capital to set up business? most of the time when you read such news do take note of his family background if reported.
If you are a road-side beng with good ideas for business you think anyone will want to invest for you? no no..

I may be wrong........come on fire me!
 

seng44

New Member
Jun 1, 2005
247
0
0
37
#9
alwayschampion said:
I have come across a few entreprenurs on Straits Times who are NSFs still serving army.

They are running their own company and serving the army at the same time.

Is this moonlighting :dunno: ?
Don't think so. They are not regulars, so can run their own company during their off days. If they are regular, then diff story.
 

Drudkh

Senior Member
Mar 2, 2004
6,129
0
0
lulu island
#10
dominator said:
I often read such news but sad to say most of those young entreprenurs are often from somehow rich families............imo.
Else how to have the capital to set up business? most of the time when you read such news do take note of his family background if reported.
If you are a road-side beng with good ideas for business you think anyone will want to invest for you? no no..

I may be wrong........come on fire me!
yeah, i agree.
 

Feb 20, 2004
497
0
0
33
#11
:angel:
seng44 said:
Don't think so. They are not regulars, so can run their own company during their off days. If they are regular, then diff story.
Based on the papers, those NSFs did not get into any problems concluding that NSFs can do their work within comfort zone while regulars are strictly cannot ?
 

seng44

New Member
Jun 1, 2005
247
0
0
37
#12
alwayschampion said:
:angel:

Based on the papers, those NSFs did not get into any problems concluding that NSFs can do their work within comfort zone while regulars are strictly cannot ?
From what i know, regulars are bond to serve the nation fully. I know some regulars who have side business, which they kept it low profile. Any regular here who may want to clarify?
 

Feb 20, 2004
497
0
0
33
#13
seng44 said:
From what i know, regulars are bond to serve the nation fully. I know some regulars who have side business, which they kept it low profile. Any regular here who may want to clarify?
LoLx :bsmilie:
 

Aug 16, 2005
83
0
0
#14
I think its all a matter of how "close" you are and how well you build your relationship with your senior officers. By right, NO you are not allowed to work outside during NS because during that period you are treated as a full time staff of the military Hence the replacement of the pink ic with a 11B and you are charged under military law not civilian law. But of course by left if you do your work right, are not marked by anyone, anything goes...

During my NS days, my OC actually asked us commanders to conduct a investigation to who is working outside, mostly as waiters and all... what happened was one joker worked in a restaurant then started to introduce the job to others. And the best part they are all stay in personnel of a operational company.... What we did was we under the table told them to stop it and reported to OC as "Oh no lah.... ah seng did it once only to help his friend..." OC give a "okay make sure once only..." Case close
 

leave

New Member
Jul 31, 2005
39
0
0
#15
alwayschampion said:
I have come across a few entreprenurs on Straits Times who are NSFs still serving army.

They are running their own company and serving the army at the same time.

Is this moonlighting :dunno: ?

Hi,

Technically, serving NSF is considered government service, and I think servicemen are not supposed to have a second job outside without permission. At least that's what was told to me by a military security interviewer many years back. Of course, most of them will close an eye, unless you get into some major trouble.

Which newspaper article are you referring to ? and which company/entrepreneur ?
I know a 25-year old who has yet to serve NS because he's a high-profile 'entrepreneur'. Government ministers simply love to endorse these 'role models' and petition Mindef for them.
 

Hobbesyeo

New Member
Feb 16, 2005
990
0
0
Singapore
www.sxc.hu
#17
I think NS is not considered to be employment.

Govt gives NSFs an allowance...not pay.

Hence, as long as you do your needful duties properly, I dun think they care what else you do with your weekends/sparetime.

Just my 2cents.
 

leave

New Member
Jul 31, 2005
39
0
0
#18
Hobbesyeo said:
I think NS is not considered to be employment.

Govt gives NSFs an allowance...not pay.

Hence, as long as you do your needful duties properly, I dun think they care what else you do with your weekends/sparetime.

Just my 2cents.

That's what I thought.... and almost got my friend into trouble and non-clearance - at the time.... not sure if things have changed.
 

Feb 20, 2004
497
0
0
33
#19
leave said:
That's what I thought.... and almost got my friend into trouble and non-clearance - at the time.... not sure if things have changed.
What happen ?
 

leave

New Member
Jul 31, 2005
39
0
0
#20
alwayschampion said:
What happen ?

Well, I just got some hints from the interviewer on the 'right' way of doing things. Anyway, nothing happened and he was cleared. He's a pretty big shot now.... but just imagine the things the gov can do to dig out the dirt on anyone if my interview is still in their logs :sweat: .
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom