Next upgrade after A40?


Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 4, 2003
210
0
0
28
Visit site
#1
Planning to do an upgrade from my A40.
Feel that A40 is quite limited in some aspects.
What the next best upgrade after the A40?
Price budget at $1500
 

Kei

Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2002
2,080
0
36
#2
Perhaps a list of the things you are looking for in the upgrade will be helpful.



:)
 

Feb 4, 2003
210
0
0
28
Visit site
#4
I actually find that the A40 can't take very sharp pictures at night, or when there's insufficient lighting.


I dunno, any logical upgrades after a40?
 

Kei

Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2002
2,080
0
36
#5
Originally posted by Giantnookie
I actually find that the A40 can't take very sharp pictures at night, or when there's insufficient lighting.
:dunno:
 

Wolfgang

Senior Member
Apr 29, 2002
5,688
0
0
39
Riddle Realms
wolfgang.clubsnap.org
#6
ok.. lets see...

Megapixel count?
Budget?
Zoom factor?
Any particular band?
AF speed?
Night shots importany?

Let us know what you are looking for in a new camera after you A40 and we'll take it from there. :)
 

Feb 4, 2003
210
0
0
28
Visit site
#8
yeah..i was actually looking at the canon G3.

But several questions.
Are the batts long lasting?
How much for extras?

Filters, lens etc.

paiseh lah, me actually very suaku one.

What are the pros and cons of the G3?

Thanx.
 

Newbie123

New Member
Aug 25, 2002
407
0
0
Visit site
#9
Originally posted by Giantnookie
yeah..i was actually looking at the canon G3.

But several questions.
Are the batts long lasting?
How much for extras?

Filters, lens etc.

paiseh lah, me actually very suaku one.

What are the pros and cons of the G3?

Thanx.
I am not a G3 owner but I have looked at G3 during my search for a prosumer. The more compelling features of G3 IMO is:

1. eTTL flash
2. Relatively noiseless night shots
3. Swivel LCD

One of the cons IMO is that part of the optical viewfinder is blocked by the lens adaptor and the barrel.

If you need for information, I suggest you read the review at dpreview.com. :)
 

Feb 4, 2003
210
0
0
28
Visit site
#10
Originally posted by Newbie123


I am not a G3 owner but I have looked at G3 during my search for a prosumer. The more compelling features of G3 IMO is:

1. eTTL flash
2. Relatively noiseless night shots
3. Swivel LCD

One of the cons IMO is that part of the optical viewfinder is blocked by the lens adaptor and the barrel.

If you need for information, I suggest you read the review at dpreview.com. :)
thanx dude.
im aiming for the 602 now.
:bsmilie:
 

Kevin

New Member
Jan 18, 2002
897
0
0
North West
Visit site
#12
Originally posted by Giantnookie
yeah..i was actually looking at the canon G3.

But several questions.
Are the batts long lasting?
How much for extras?

Filters, lens etc.

What are the pros and cons of the G3?

Thanx.
Batts long lasting for me. IF buy compatible, ~$40.

There is lens tube at 52/58mm thread so you can put any 52/58mm filters you want. WC and TC also got.

Pro is take very good photo with a lot of control.

Con is build quality is lousy and it is diff to hold compare to Oly C5050. A lot of noise at ISO400 without flash.

Hope this help. ;)
 

rochkoh

New Member
Feb 8, 2002
533
0
0
Under your skin
Visit site
#14
hmm.. other than megapixels and zoom factor, is a G3 or 602 necessarily a much better camera than say the A40?

are you hitting major limitations on the A40 - other than while taking night shots?

is it worth the extra $600+ (assuming you'll be able to sell ye A40 at $300+) or so just to take night shots.. hmm... interesting..
 

Feb 4, 2003
210
0
0
28
Visit site
#17
Originally posted by roon2c
Nookie,

wahh..... yesterday afternoon told me ur budget 1k now expended to 1.5k ar????

LOL.....

sorry,man. Last nite i slept pretty early so din't meet u online.

My recomendation ?

BUY BUY BUY!!!!!
hehe
its ok dude
i got home ard 2am
well, just thinking.
got an offer for a 2nd hand 602 @ $900.
Not sure if its worth it though.
 

Feb 4, 2003
210
0
0
28
Visit site
#18
Originally posted by rochkoh
hmm.. other than megapixels and zoom factor, is a G3 or 602 necessarily a much better camera than say the A40?

are you hitting major limitations on the A40 - other than while taking night shots?

is it worth the extra $600+ (assuming you'll be able to sell ye A40 at $300+) or so just to take night shots.. hmm... interesting..
I don't really like the feel of the A40 as i've got big hands.
I find the images arent really that sharp for my liking.
As for the settings and functions, i find them quite limited.


Perhaps i'm just a newbie, seeking new toys.

I guess my A40 might fetch at least $350, given that its only 2 weeks old, and i would't need the canon original pounch and lens cap as well.
 

YSLee

Senior Member
Jan 17, 2002
2,326
1
38
Visit site
#19
I find the A40 plenty sharp. In fact most current generation cameras are pretty competent. Perhaps you can tweak the sharpening in post processing, or you can set the sharpening level higher?
 

#20
Originally posted by Giantnookie


hehe
its ok dude
i got home ard 2am
well, just thinking.
got an offer for a 2nd hand 602 @ $900.
Not sure if its worth it though.

Err.... unless the offer for the 602 comes wif accessories, @ SGD 900 I think u might as well get a new one it cost SGD 150 more for the extra warranty. Like i told u in the irc, someone bought a new 602 at SGD 1050. ;)

Well, the choice is up to u.
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom