Status
Not open for further replies.

Darren

ClubSNAP Admin
Staff member
Jan 16, 2002
Melbourne
Hi All,
The next SEED will occur on Wednesday, 7 August 2002 from 5:30pm onwards. The meeting point will be @ the entrance of Cathay Photo (or inside Cathay Photo).

Agenda:
1. Buying of consumables
2. Purchase of equipments
3. Strongly encourage shoppers to hands-on their intended purchase, be it bags, cameras, lenses and such; hearing feedbacks, looking @ images on the net and reading reviews do not give you the whole 'picture'!
4. Those who are new to photography are also encouraged to come and bring your prints, slides, laptops...we'll be happy to give suggestions on how to make your next photoshoots a more fruitful one!
5. Even if you're not getting anything (like me) and happen to be there or just wanna hang out with somebody, come!
6. Last but not least, we will be having a real-time, face to face General Photography Chat or Banal Talk over dinner!

Don't worry! We're basically a friendly and fun-loving bunch! Whoever 'bullies' you, let AdamGoi know...he will 'flame' him or her on the spot for you! ;)

Those who are interested, reply to this thread!

Come come, don't be shy!

Just wondering how come all your SEED outings are held outside CP? Don't you guys ever go to AP? And also since I'll be going over to Melbourne, if I ever need something could one of you guys help me buy and send it over? Of course I could always work out the payment details like an Internet Bank transfer or something...

Originally posted by qhelix
Just wondering how come all your SEED outings are held outside CP? Don't you guys ever go to AP? And also since I'll be going over to Melbourne, if I ever need something could one of you guys help me buy and send it over? Of course I could always work out the payment details like an Internet Bank transfer or something...
Location, Location, Location - around Peninsula area, there are at least 5 retailers (Cathay, Fotoguide, John3:16, Ruby, Anthony's) and a number of 2nd hand dealers (Prime, TCW, Alex and some more in Adelphi).

And arguably, Cathay is the best-stocked retailer in town with 3 separate shops within spitting distance of each other.

Plus got Burger King and a comfortable foodcourt to chitchat in.

Not to say AP is not good, but as it is the ONLY retailer (of reasonably good repute) in Sim Lim, the choice is limited.

As for getting someone to buy and send to you, depends on how well you know the purchaser ;) I am sure you will be able to hook up with someone *cough*adamgoi*cough*

I feel like going for this one, 1st time to a SEED. will be going Redang on the 8th so maybe get another piece of memory stick. do you guys recommend me to get the cir polarizer? do you think there is any diff with of without it, if I take photo in a bright sunny afternoon at the beach?

anyone know the prices for these stuff?

I hope to join the next SEED. I and a friend would like to purchase the Canon FS4000 film scanners. What's the right price we should be paying?

Originally posted by greg
I hope to join the next SEED. I and a friend would like to purchase the Canon FS4000 film scanners. What's the right price we should be paying?

Interesting to hear that someone is interested in the FS 4000US. What makes you decide to pick this over rivals such as Nikon Coolscan IV ED? I'll be very interested to hear!

Originally posted by AdamGoi

Interesting to hear that someone is interested in the FS 4000US. What makes you decide to pick this over rivals such as Nikon Coolscan IV ED? I'll be very interested to hear!

price? good reviews? What's your recommendation? We are comparing this to the 4000ed, right?

price? good reviews? What's your recommendation? We are comparing this to the 4000ed, right?

How to compare? Pricewise, the Nikon Coolscan 4000ED should be retailing @ about S$2400 when I queried a year ago. The Canoscan was then about S$1600.

For me, I've been using FS 4000US for close to a year now and I can't give you a fair assessment as I do not own any other film scanners. The thing I like about it is that it uses SCSI II for transfer. I got the used scanner which was about a month old then for $1k. If such an offer did not come along, I'd have purchased a Nikon Coolscan IV ED as it's about $400 cheaper (then) and I don't really need to scan @ 4000 dpi as it was bloody long, i.e. up to 15 minutes a frame with FARE.

Another point of consideration is how long one will be shooting film. Personally I feel if one has the intention to go full digital, i.e. owning a DSLR within the next 12 months, the person might be better-off just by sending his negatives/positives archived @ the lab for a fee and save the moola for your next big-ticket item, i.e. DSLR.

For me, I'm quite resolved that I'll be shooting film for the next 18 months or so...

How to compare? Pricewise, the Nikon Coolscan 4000ED should be retailing @ about S$2400 when I queried a year ago. The Canoscan was then about S$1600.

For me, I've been using FS 4000US for close to a year now and I can't give you a fair assessment as I do not own any other film scanners. The thing I like about it is that it uses SCSI II for transfer. I got the used scanner which was about a month old then for $1k. If such an offer did not come along, I'd have purchased a Nikon Coolscan IV ED as it's about $400 cheaper (then) and I don't really need to scan @ 4000 dpi as it was bloody long, i.e. up to 15 minutes a frame with FARE.

Another point of consideration is how long one will be shooting film. Personally I feel if one has the intention to go full digital, i.e. owning a DSLR within the next 12 months, the person might be better-off just by sending his negatives/positives archived @ the lab for a fee and save the moola for your next big-ticket item, i.e. DSLR.

For me, I'm quite resolved that I'll be shooting film for the next 18 months or so...

THanks for sharing and I hope you can share more since you own and use one. I will be shooting film for the rest of my life (unless there's no more film on earth) as I'm not an digital person :) What about Prime Scan 3600?

Thanks.

most likely to go and get some advise on the TC-DC52 on g2. if it's good then i'll go for it. of cos cp must have the item first.

;) ;)

greg, lets do a comparison - I have a Coolscan IV scanner and I will scan in a slide and bring along (digitised image and slide). Will provide exacts settings (digital ice, image size, scan timing) and you can get a comparison from either Adam or do a realtime test at CP (may have to go earlier in that case).

for slides i don't think theres much resolution beyond 2900 dpi (except maybe for Velvia)..... at 2900dpi you can see the grain already

Hi Adam and all, kindly let me take a took at a scan of yours? I heard Alan photo in Sim Lim sq might be able to offer a competitive price too for this scanner? thx:cool:

think I will be going too...

wanna get a step up ring from 52 to 58 to accomodate my A40 with my Nikon N60 SLR...
any comment?

I bought a 52mm +4 step up filter...think I can change to a 58mm one ???

I hope to join this seed.

I will need to find out whether mertz flash is compatible as TTL flash in olympus digital camera. I understand that all you need is a special shoe adapter. Model SCA-something.

Any recommendations for mertz flash with compactness and maximum power??/

song

Originally posted by erwinx
for slides i don't think theres much resolution beyond 2900 dpi (except maybe for Velvia)..... at 2900dpi you can see the grain already

Yeah, at 2900dpi, you can already print 15" x 10" at 300ppi, what more can you ask for? :)

Regards
CK

THanks for sharing and I hope you can share more since you own and use one. I will be shooting film for the rest of my life (unless there's no more film on earth) as I'm not an digital person :) What about Prime Scan 3600?

Thanks.

You mean the PrimeFilm 3600? Don't think it's available here. I'd suggest the Coolscan IV ED (LS40ED) or 4000 ED, or the Canon FS4000U if you want 4000dpi and is on a tight budget.

Greg, will you shoot digital if there's a digital M6? :)

Regards
CK

Originally posted by ckiang

You mean the PrimeFilm 3600? Don't think it's available here. I'd suggest the Coolscan IV ED (LS40ED) or 4000 ED, or the Canon FS4000U if you want 4000dpi and is on a tight budget.

bought the fs4000 yesterday. I have a question, what's the diff when you specify input resolution at 2000 dpi, and output at 2000dpi, vs input at 4000 and output at 2000dpi?

Greg, will you shoot digital if there's a digital M6? :)

CK
not really another M6, but with an interchangeable digital back , YES!

Status
Not open for further replies.