NEX-5N or E-P3

dreamer_toons

Aug 6, 2006
I'm caught in a dilemma now.

I'm considering to buy a interchangeable camera for my overseas travel and street photography. Currently, I owned a D700 with 24-70 and 70-200 but it is heavy to bring it walking around during my travel. Hence, thinking of buying a smaller interchangeable system for my travel needs with the IQ comparable to the DSLR.

I have been considering these 2 models; E-P3 with 14-42 kit and NEX-5N with 18-55. Both are priced at $1199 and similar form factors ; P3 claimed to have the fastest AF while 5N have a better IQ and low noise due to the APS-C according to online reviews. I'm favoring the 5N due to the better IQ and low noise.

Any user's experience for these 2 cameras?

Hmm ill take nex 5n.. the low noise performance is too good.

And since im on Sony system.. i can get the adapter and mount other A mount lenses on it.

both AF systems will lag when it comes to low-light conditions. and then, it'll be the sensor with better low-light performance that wins.

for me, IQ wins over the ability to focus fast. your focus may be fast, but the IQ not as good. then what's the point?

Yes, I agrees on the low light performance.

Does the 5N allows zooming while shooting in the Movie mode?

I'll go for Sony NEX... mainly for the benefit of its larger Sensor size.

I switched from DSLRs (Canon 5D & Pentax K5) to NEX 5N. The kit lens, 18-55 is good enough for travels but I use it mostly with my Nikkor 28f2.8 ais, 50f1.2 ais and 105f2.8 ais with absolute first class image quality that will rival your D700 IQ. Check the NEX 5N photo thread.

Depends on shooting style, but imho for travel, AF speed is lower on the list of priorities.
Most shots are static subjects or posed subjects (ie. family)
The few candid shots, AF from most cameras will do, don't need to be that fast.

High ISO is not high on priority too.
A tripod is used for the best quality low light shots.
Unless its not possible to use one, I'd still use ISO no more than 800 and brace, find support or place camera on a stable platform to get the shot.

Absolute pixel peeping image quality, NEX5n would be a better choice.
Selection on UWA, zooms, primes, m4/3 is better.
They don't matter in IQ at normal viewing sizes up to about ISO800.

Size considering lenses favor m4/3.

No right or wrong choice.

Last edited:
How about 35mm equivalent? On the EP3, its 2X.

How about the 5N?

My bad, I didn't read properly on the Specs.

The reason I ask about the zooming in movie mode is because I read that the EP3 cannot zoom while it is in the movie model.

Sony web states that 5N with the 16F28 and 1855 kit len is at $1299. Anyone know where can I get it at a lower price other than the coming Sitex since most of the time, they have the useless freebies. Or it is at the controlled price everywhere?

If I am on Nikon, I will get the Nikon's V1 or J1 for a second body. With an adapter, I can use the Nikkor lens on this interchangeable system. (Yes, I know that balance could be a problem but still, it would be a good add up).

Sony web states that 5N with the 16F28 and 1855 kit len is at $1299. Anyone know where can I get it at a lower price other than the coming Sitex since most of the time, they have the useless freebies. Or it is at the controlled price everywhere?

have a look at this thread...
not sure if u can get at these price tho..