Newspaper used my photo without permission

Draken413o

Jan 1, 2009
Singapore.
www.facebook.com
Hi everyone.. I recently received news that my photo was used on the front page of a tamil newspaper without my consent. Is there anything I can do to claim against them? How much do I ask for and who do I write too?

4974440512_a79a03de44_b.jpg

Here is the image used.

Thanks for the advice!

if that is true... i pity SPH for hiring a bunch of incompetent idiots.

PS... my apologies for not being able to advise you as this is not something i am familiar with.. however, i'm sorry for you.

Last edited:
if you search this forum, you can find out about the cases of newspapers using images without permission and what one can do about it...

this is how it is...

and not just in singapore.

if you don't like them using it, advice is to really limit your audience online.

They asked one of the performers for photos but never told them they'd use the images for publications. This is the story the performer told me. I've not contacted sph yet.

Well at least now you can cut out the front page and keep it as portfolio. Too bad it's not in English (the papers), but still front page. ;)

This kind of thing makes me mad.

Now i know why people have BIG BIG watermarks on their picture. :bsmilie:

Sometimes, even that does not help. :sweat:

Didn't someone here in CS threatened to sue CNN for using his images without permission and got USD100 compensation?

Just send a bill to them for the usage of the image. Try $200. Bill the photo editor.

They know about copyrights so somewhere along the line someone messed up.Maybe one of the juniors

btw I've done this before..it does work

Front page headline picture, can threathen till song song la :bsmilie:

but putting watermark is also painful... where to place it.. how big it should be... the color.. and worst of all.. it makes the picture ugly ...

somehow many great pics nowadays are w/o watermark, i don't know why... perhaps it can be easily removed when it is small , and it is usually small to avoid making the picture ugly.

i got no idea haha...

I think your beef should be with the performer, do you know what transpired between them and the newspaper ?

Didn't someone here in CS threatened to sue CNN for using his images without permission and got USD100 compensation?

Not sue. But pursue them to compensate me.

I recommend you do the same. First, write to the newspaper first, not SPH. Send them a invoice of 200 SGD. And see how they react. Although I'm not sure if you've still got a say since the performer gave them the picture instead of stealing of intellectual property.

If they fail to reply, write to SPH and demand in a firm but kind way to ask for the compensation. If all else fail, pay a visit to their office at Braddell since they are in Singapore unlike my case which their office is in Hong Kong.

when u gave the performer the picture did u tell him what he could use it for?

When you gave the photos, did you write a readme.txt or some sort of digital text document regarding what can or cannot be done with the photos, and put it in the same folder as the images?

i remember got 1 case the newspaper just blatantly copy the whole picture even with the watermark sia :sweat:

all these people are really disgusting

To TS: all the best dude! hope you are paid for this...

i remember got 1 case the newspaper just blatantly copy the whole picture .....

I think NTUC Income used one of the Orchard Road flood pictures from one of the websites & used it for a FULL PAGE advert for Flood Insurance.

Not sure if the photographer was paid.

Draken, paid or not, it is still nice picture by the way, glad it made it to front page!

Last edited:
Send an invoice, usually the Chief Photo Editor will sort it out and resolve the issue.