Newsflash: Singapore prepares bid to host F1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Klose

Feb 15, 2005
BBC said:
Singapore has started making plans to host a Grand Prix after new rules allowed the Formula One calendar to expand to a possible 20 races in 2008.

The south-east Asian island is already examining four proposals to stage races which would be held on a street course.

"The four bids are very, very good," Singapore Trade and Industry minister Lim Hng Kiang told the Today newspaper.

Spanish city Valencia, Greece, Russia and South Africa have also declared their interest in hosting a race.

Valencia eager to host F1 races

Mexico had also made plans to return to the F1 calendar while an Indian Grand Prix and a second race in the United States had been suggested.

The FIA introduced new regulations in Paris last month which gave the green light to a maximum of 20 races per season from 2008.

This season there are 18 races on the calendar after the Belgian Grand Prix was withdrawn to give organisers more time to make improvements to the Spa circuit.

Is this good news for F1 fanatics :think:

Klose said:
Is this good news for F1 fanatics :think:

i wonder where they will make this circuit, marina south? i think i can think of a track with the existing layout, still got tunnel and such... like ridge racer...

murhur har? hmm.. i wonder if it can be on benjamin sheares bridge. imagine F1 car careens out of control. crash thru barrier, bounce over bridge, into kallang river....

now, tht's a big headache for bernie.

Good news! Spore used to have car racing many many years ago...

Great! Time to dust off my bigma for another great shoot.....
So... we'd get racequeens too I guess...:bsmilie:

well, i'm not tht keen, since KL is a nearby. or even melbourne isnt tht bad a trip or shanghai. imagine hving tht much visitors to our already crowded place. on top of tht, closing down of critical road. street circuit is more likely a city circuit to promote SG's skyline. blah!

Zplus said:
Good news! Spore used to have car racing many many years ago...

Great! Time to dust off my bigma for another great shoot.....
So... we'd get racequeens too I guess...:bsmilie:
thomson area?

Wouldn't Singapore's close proximity to the KL Grand Prix exclude our country from being a contender? Not familiar with the F1, maybe some more enlightened soul can shed some thought on this.

yes, promximity is a consideration. but then again, they used to hv 2 grand prix race in germany every season.

but the street circuit bid will be very interesting. not many cities can host a street circuit race. if this goes thru, this will be the 2nd street circuit on the F1 calendar and 1st in Asia.

Shadus said:
yes, promximity is a consideration. but then again, they used to hv 2 grand prix race in germany every season.

but the street circuit bid will be very interesting. not many cities can host a street circuit race. if this goes thru, this will be the 2nd street circuit on the F1 calendar and 1st in Asia.

then we can see F1 cars go over causeway wat...

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
then we can see F1 cars go over causeway wat...

Then 3/4 tank rule still aply?

yanyewkay said:
thomson area?

I don't think we have ever had car racing but we had Grand Prix for motorcyles in the Old Upper Thomson Rd circuit in the 60s and 70s. The track was rather tricky with names like "Hair pin", "Devil's bend", etc. Would be nice to see F1 coming to Singapore. The economic spinoff would be great.

syl said:
Then 3/4 tank rule still aply?

Ha ha ha, this is funny:bsmilie:

If it applies, there must be a pit stop at Johor Customs for re-fuel.:cool:

i thought the race track which SG is gg to build is only suitable for F2?

tht's the race track in tuas. i dun think its call F2.

i suppose the bid submit for f1 is for a street circuit, not the race track. hvnt read the news yet. if its for a race track, i dun think the bid will go thru as there's already one nearby in KL.

IC .. along our sg orchard gugang?
lolz

aniway heres the info ..

Track: Tuas International Speedway
Length: 3.37km
Track Type: Fast with Speeds up to 250km/h
FIA Classification: Class 2 (good for Formula 3 and GT races and below. Formula One requires Class One classificaiton)
Theme: Motorsport Park
Address: Go along Jalan Ahmad Ibrahim road next to ATE (just before Tuas checkpoint), and it's situated between Tuas West Road and Tuas West Drive

http://img31.imagevenue.com/img.php?...uasrace014.jpg

http://img145.imagevenue.com/img.php...asrace1015.jpg

convert the whole of Tekong to racing circuit! :bsmilie:

Shadus said:
murhur har? hmm.. i wonder if it can be on benjamin sheares bridge. imagine F1 car careens out of control. crash thru barrier, bounce over bridge, into kallang river....

now, tht's a big headache for bernie.

why must think of the crash.

coz tht's the most exciting part of F1, the start and the suspense of the F1 cars going thru the 1st bend.

I don't think proximity is an issue as they used to have the Belgian and German (Hockenheim and Nurburgring) which is not too far apart. We should be the Monaco of the East if we proceed with a street circuit in Marina South.
I think the revenue draw would be as much or more than the Chingay and GSS combined.

Status
Not open for further replies.