[News] S. Korea, Japan have world's fastest web links

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pinoy

Jan 17, 2002
ClubSNAP East
www.flickr.com
S. Korea, Japan have world's fastest web links
TOKYO — East Asian countries led by South Korea, Hong Kong and Japan are the best wired in the world with the highest number of fast broadband connections to the Internet, a recent report has found.

South Korea boasts the world's highest average connection speed at 14.6 Megabytes per second (Mbps) and also has six of Asia's 10 cities with the fastest link-ups, all with average speeds above 15 Mbps.

Japan had the second highest average connection speed of 7.9 Mbps, followed by the Chinese territory of Hong Kong with 7.6 Mbps, said the report by US-based network provider Akamai Technologies.

I wonder where does Singapore stand.

:Later,

when the new fibre optic network get rolled out in a few years time, we should be close to number 1?

when the new fibre optic network get rolled out in a few years time, we should be close to number 1?
Its only fast within Singapore then, whats the use? Most of the sites are overseas, bottlenecks are the connections to overseas through the undersea cables.........

For the Singapore case I find it more a hype than really helpful

HS

Its only fast within Singapore then, whats the use? Most of the sites are overseas, bottlenecks are the connections to overseas through the undersea cables.........

HS

well, it's better than both sides also bottleneck :(

HS

For Jap and Korea, they have lots of local content, right? So fast Internet links are useful to them.

max online sucks!!! regretted switching over... :angry:

You guys in SG think you have it tough? In the croc infested desert that is Australia we are still scratching words on stone and hurling it to each other as that's faster than what passes for the net down here.

Last edited:
I believe South Korea was already leading in fibre optic connectivity for the past few years. They had almost a 10-year headstart in the switchover.
http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE49M4Q320081023

Last edited:
should be starting limited roll-out later this year...
You guys in SG think you have it tough? In the croc infested desert that is Australia we are still scratching words on stone and hurling it to each other as that's faster than what passes for the net down here.
invest in some pigeons... ;p

Status
Not open for further replies.