[News]Five bodies found in Cambodia after boating accident.

Status
Not open for further replies.

xtemujin

Apr 1, 2005
Singapura, Singapore
Five bodies found in Cambodia after boating accident

PHNOM PENH: The bodies of all five Singaporeans were recovered from the Tonle Sap River in Cambodia's capital Phnom Penh on Sunday morning, following an accident involving a Singapore dragon boat team.

They have been identified as 20-year-old Chee Wei Cheng, 24-year-old Jeremy Goh Tze Xiong, 31-year-old Stephen Loh Soon Ann, 23-year-old Reuben Kee En Rui and 27-year-old Poh Boon San.

Their family members are presently in Cambodia.

The Foreign Affairs Ministry and Singapore's embassy in Cambodia will make the necessary arrangements for the repatriation of the bodies to Singapore.

The five men went missing after their boat capsized as it tried to dock on the Tonle Sap River after competing in a race during the water festival.

A holding area was set up outside the mortuary at the Calmette Hospital where the bodies were brought to.

Earlier, emotions ran high when family members went to identify the bodies.

The Singapore ambassador to Cambodia, Tan Yee Woan, and the president of the Dragonboat Association, Kwek Siew Jin, were on hand to render support to family members.

"We have provided facilities to try to help the families through this very trying time. I understand that they are in a very difficult situation. With the help of our ambassador here and the other embassy staff, together with support from many ministries back home, we will make all necessary travel arrangements," said Mr Kwek.

Deputy Secretary-General of Cambodia's National Disaster Management Team, Nhim Vanda, laid wreaths and offered prayers for the victims earlier in the day.

Cambodian Tourism Minister Thong Khon also came to render help to the families of the victims.

A representative from the Indonesian dragon boat team offered wreaths for the deceased as well. He said the Indonesian team was saddened by the accident and added that the dragon boat teams from various countries are actually one big family.

More than 200 Cambodian navy sailors and fishermen, joined by seven divers and a medic from Singapore, scoured the river over the weekend in search for the missing men.

The Singapore boat was carrying 22 men when it capsized. Seventeen Singaporeans were also injured in the accident, which happened on the first day of races.

These members are expected to fly home on Monday morning as scheduled.

Singapore's foreign ministry said in a statement that Cambodian Prime Minister Hun Sen had written to Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong to convey his "shock and sadness".

- CNA/ir/so

My condolences to the family of the dead, and may they rest in peace.

As an ex-rower, I would like to express my condolences. It takes a special kinda person to dedicate himself to train in those conditions and the friends you make in the process is one that's likely to last a life time. As such, it is a dark period now for those that survived and those involved in the sports.

I don't know them well enough, but we have all at one time or another rowed against each other or together. My prayers are with you and your families.

Sad to hear this.

rest in peace bros. have a better one.

its really saddening.. i read their profiles in straits times and they're really very talented bunch of people :\

As an Ex rower myself, this accident really hits me hard. Condolence to their families and may they Rest In Peace...:cry:

same here.. as an ex-rower & ex-team mate to one of them.. you died pursuing your passion.. rest in peace bro.

Any idea why they were not wearing life jackets ?

My condolences to the family of the dead.

Any idea why they were not wearing life jackets ?

My condolences to the family of the dead.

The papers mentioned that there is no strict life vests rule in overseas races. LIFE vests are a must in Singapore.

RIP.

Condolensces to all the families..
May the departed live on forever in their memories..

Requiescat In Pace..

May they rest in peace..

They should had waited awhile longer for the tow boat. But whats done is done. RIP :cry:

i knew one of them personally since childhood ... very talented musician, sportsman and friend ... :cry:

the eyewitness report said the incident occured at pier .. just as they were starting to disembark ...

They lived their lives with passion and fervor, were the pride of their families and the nation, and this is how they will always be cherished and remembered.

My prayers and condolences to their families.

I know one of the victims. Was my hall mate in NTU. :(

Bodies of dragon boat accident victims to be brought home Monday
Posted: 26 November 2007 1230 hrs

SINGAPORE: The bodies of the five Singaporean rowers who died in a dragon boat accident in Cambodia will be brought home by a military plane on Monday evening.

The dead are 20-year-old Chee Wei Cheng, 24-year-old Jeremy Goh Tze Xiong, 31-year-old Stephen Loh Soon Ann, 23-year-old Reuben Kee En Rui and 27-year-old Poh Boon San.

Their bodies were found on Sunday morning, two days after their dragon boat capsized in the Tonle Sap River in Phnom Penh during the annual Cambodia-ASEAN Traditional Boat Race.

Singapore Ambassador to Cambodia Tan Yee Woan said some family members of the five victims will also be on the plane.

As for the rest of the family members, they will be back on a SilkAir flight on Monday night.

The 17 members of the dragon boat team who were rescued in the accident would fly back on a commercial flight in the afternoon, together with the president of the Dragon Boat Association, Kwek Siew Jin.

At about 7.45am, en route to the airport, they stopped at the accident site to offer prayers. Some family members of the five victims were also there to perform rites. - CNA/ir

Status
Not open for further replies.