[News] Air Force NSF collapses, dies after run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

xtemujin

Apr 1, 2005
Singapura, Singapore
Thursday, November 29, 2007
Air Force NSF collapses, dies after run

He was just 20m away from completing his 2.4km run when there were signs of trouble.

Falling to his knees, full-time National Serviceman Ricky Liu Junhong reportedly crawled to the finish line, collapsing before reaching it as friends rushed to his aid.

According to eyewitnesses to the incident on Nov 15, Corporal Liu, 20, was taken to the Paya Lebar Air Base medical centre. From there, he was moved to Changi General Hospital's intensive care ward. He died last Saturday.

The Air Force School trainee, who held the rank of corporal, was given a full military burial yesterday.

Ministry of Defence (Mindef) spokesman Colonel Darius Lim said the ministry was investigating CPL Liu's death.

He said Mindef and the Singapore Armed Forces were providing assistance to the family.

CPL Liu's elder sister Yu Jun told Today that her brother had no known history of medical illness. As the youngest in the family, he was a popular figure. He was also "very active" at Temasek Polytechnic.

She said the family was struggling to come to terms with the loss as CPL Liu was close to their parents.

"He was always cheerful and would crack jokes to cheer us up," said Ms Liu.

His death is not the first such incident this year in which people collapsed while exercising.

In June, a 58-year-old defence executive officer died after a run on a treadmill at Gombak Camp.

In February, a second-year junior college student collapsed during the last 100m of a 2.4km run. She was taken to hospital but died that same day.

http://www.todayonline.com/articles/224693.asp

strange, it seems like a trend nowadays " collapse after running " :confused:

Again?

This is starting to be an epidemic...

NS getting deadly this year.

It's not that it's happening more often these days.

Just that it gets reported more in the press now.

So the real lesson is, learn to love life, take nothing for granted.

It's not that it's happening more often these days.

Just that it gets reported more in the press now.

yeah. like natural disasters.

Maybe we should start banning 2.4KM run. Higher chance of us peasant making it past age

icon9.gif

NS tragedy again..

eh but i didnt hear about the jc girl one :eek: which jc was it?

seems that the current statistics are those "active" people are going.... could it be they are pushing themselves too hard?

The problem is how to define "too hard"?

Anybody keep statistics of people dying in their sleep? I've personally known a few who did that. Stop sleeping? ;p

Anyway, if the heart got problem, you can die anytime doing anything. Having sex, watching tv etc. If there is a heart problem, I think chances of dying is higher if the person is engage in more demanding physical activities. But how to avoid heart problem leh? Exercising is part of it. Ironic isn't it?

all becos of NS... like a killer sia

Actually, recently it only came to public view that sudden death is common in singapore. So news agents became over exposing the health news on this area. Thats why we think its alot. But in real terms all the while hundreds of people die this way in singapore every year.

Just last week, my level 4 neighbour died but noone know until their is rotten smell in the air. Civil defence came to back open his flat to collect his body. 30+ chap.

Another case which took place at my friend's point block flat. His direct neighbour died with tenant still sleeping next to the dead landlord's room, only to realise that its a few days since he last saw the landlord coming home. All the while the landlord had died and getting rotton in the room next door. Hahaha.

All these are not covered in news. If everyday the news put these stuff up, it will also scare the general public too.

So take good care of your body. Its the only body that cannot be repaired by any camera workshops. hahaha :bsmilie:

Actually, recently it only came to public view that sudden death is common in singapore. So news agents became over exposing the health news on this area. Thats why we think its alot. But in real terms all the while hundreds of people die this way in singapore every year.

Just last week, my level 4 neighbour died but noone know until their is rotten smell in the air. Civil defence came to back open his flat to collect his body. 30+ chap.

Another case which took place at my friend's point block flat. His direct neighbour died with tenant still sleeping next to the dead landlord's room, only to realise that its a few days since he last saw the landlord coming home. All the while the landlord had died and getting rotton in the room next door. Hahaha.

All these are not covered in news. If everyday the news put these stuff up, it will also scare the general public too.

So take good care of your body. Its the only body that cannot be repaired by any camera workshops. hahaha :bsmilie:

omg.. so freaky.. (referring to the tenant story)
imagine living next to someone dead but not knowing it..

Status
Not open for further replies.