[News] 43-year-old Chinese man shot by police at Outram Park MRT

Status
Not open for further replies.

xtemujin

Apr 1, 2005
Singapura, Singapore
43-year-old man shot by police at Outram Park MRT
Posted: 06 March 2008 1655 hrs

SINGAPORE : A 43-year-old Chinese man was shot dead by a police officer at Outram MRT on Thursday.

Police said he had charged aggressively with a knife at the officer who approached him.

The man fitted the description of a suspect in a stabbing incident at Block 1 Jalan Kukoh.

Earlier in the day, a 52-year-old Chinese man was stabbed to death at the hawker centre at about 2.45pm.

Two officers at Outram MRT then spotted the suspect near the North-East Line platform.

When they approached him, the suspect took out a knife from his bag and charged at one of the officers.

Police said the officer discharged a single round at close range, hitting the suspect in the chest.

Commander Central Police Division, Superintendent Lau Peet Meng, said, "The armed and dangerous suspect approached my officers in a threatening manner at close proximity. In the circumstances, considering that he was suspected to have just killed another man, the officer had no choice but to open fire."

Investigations are ongoing. - CNA/ch

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/333299/1/.html

Sounds like the whole story was drawn from the morning police briefing, with no effort made by the reporters for independent verification and followup.

Really?! The last shooting was 10 years ago?

Anyway, I'm just curious. What sort of martial arts training does our typical policeman in the street receive? Must they at least get a black belt in tae kwan do or gone thru some aikido training?

I was wondering... since the guy was using a dagger, not a firearm itself, could the policeman have disarmed him using martial arts? (I know aikido has lots of such moves!) Of course, that's provided they are trained well in it.

The policeman's life is at stake and important of course so shooting the attacker is the fastest move to finish him off. But it's also a drastic one certainly. Better to take no chances?

Sounds like the whole story was drawn from the morning police briefing, with no effort made by the reporters for independent verification and followup.

yes, sound like the SOP for operating a fireman, like from the textbook, lots of people are asking if to fatally kill the attacker is the only choice?

Sometime really got no choice... just imagine.. someone charging at you with a 15cm sharp blade... do you really want to loose a few fingers and get stab...and just one stab is enough to kill you if hit at the right spot... I don't want to go thru the pain of getting stab too... I would rather open fire first..... I still want to see my family...

Update on the News
Quoted from ChannelNewsAsia.com

SINGAPORE : A 43-year-old man was shot by Police at Outram Park MRT Station on Thursday afternoon.

The incident happened on the boarding platform for West-bound trains at Outram Park station just before 4pm.

Police say the man was involved in a stabbing incident earlier at nearby Jalan Kukoh, where another man was killed.

Paul Nicholas Chong, Eyewitness, said: "We were waiting when suddenly we heard a gunshot. Everybody was frantic and running around. We ran behind the wall and hid for about 5 to 10 seconds. When everything settled down, we went out to take a look. The person was holding his chest, he went "Ahhhh", and then he fell down very loudly."

Police say the dead man matched the description of a suspect involved in a stabbing incident at nearby Jalan Kukoh.

But when officers approached him at the MRT station, he retaliated with a knife.

Eyewitnesses say the knife was about 15 centimetres long.

That was when one officer fired his revolver at the man, who died on the spot.

No one else was injured.

Commander of the Central Police Division, Superintendent Lau Peet Meng said, "The armed and dangerous suspect approached my officers in a threatening manner at close proximity. In the circumstances, considering that he was suspected to have just killed another man, the officer had no choice but to open fire."

Train services were not disrupted but officers cordoned off the mid-section of the station and blocked off about four doors to the trains for about two hours.

Earlier, officers were alerted to another dead man at a hawker centre at Block 1 Jalan Kukoh.

A man in his fifties was stabbed in the stomach just before 3pm.

He is believed to have been knifed by the man who was shot at Outram Park MRT Station.

The Police cordon at the station was lifted some two hours after the shooting.

Several members of the public had called the Channel NewsAsia hotline to ask if there was any connection with the search for Jemaah Islamiyah fugitive Mas Selamat Kastari.

But Police clarified that the murder and shooting was in no way related to the search. - CNA/ch

ChannelNewsAsia Link <--- this link will give you a better detail with a link to a video clip on the news

PS: hopefully this will be a morale booster for all the security agency that there is still hope to hunt and arrest Mas Selamat ;) really salute for their hardwork and dedication towards the Nation's Security

Nowonder I saw two squad cars parked outside one of the entrances of Outram Park MRT. Wondering why they don't just dispatch on foot from HQ, which has another entrance to Outram Park MRT right at its doorstep.

Sometime really got no choice... just imagine.. someone charging at you with a 15cm sharp blade... do you really want to lose a few fingers and get stab...and just one stab is enough to kill you if hit at the right spot... I don't want to go thru the pain of getting stab too... I would rather open fire first..... I still want to see my family...

Not to diinish the threat, but 15 cm is the length of some men's middle fingers... in other words, a small knife. Not a parang, not a commando hunting knife with saw tooth edges, etc.

Sometime really got no choice... just imagine.. someone charging at you with a 15cm sharp blade... do you really want to lose a few fingers and get stab...and just one stab is enough to kill you if hit at the right spot... I don't want to go thru the pain of getting stab too... I would rather open fire first..... I still want to see my family...

Not to diinish the threat, but 15 cm is the length of some men's middle fingers... in other words, a small knife. Not a parang, not a commando hunting knife with saw tooth edges, etc.

well, if you look at SP persepctives....dont play play with them warning to those bad guys...so next time people dare not think about to play play to Police....anymore...

well, that same 15cm knife did just killed someone else. :think:

Really?! The last shooting was 10 years ago?

Anyway, I'm just curious. What sort of martial arts training does our typical policeman in the street receive? Must they at least get a black belt in tae kwan do or gone thru some aikido training?

I was wondering... since the guy was using a dagger, not a firearm itself, could the policeman have disarmed him using martial arts? (I know aikido has lots of such moves!) Of course, that's provided they are trained well in it.

The policeman's life is at stake and important of course so shooting the attacker is the fastest move to finish him off. But it's also a drastic one certainly. Better to take no chances?

I think its a little unrealistic to think that a person can be disarmed easily with a few slick 'hollywood' kungfu moves under that set of circumstances.:think:

If I had someone coming at me with a knife, and you already know that this person had already killed someone, I'd use all means at my disposal to stop the person.:sweat:

Besides, the situation would have been made worse if the kungfu move failed and the killer grabbed a hostage.

the fact that he is a suspect for a murder earlier on, amplified the threat.
So I believe the officer had no choice but to do that. Things would be different if he didn't kill anyone before.

well, if you look at SP persepctives....dont play play with them warning to those bad guys...so next time people dare not think about to play play to Police....anymore...

That's exactly the point. Such reckless audacity must be dealt with an equally decisive measure.

Otherwise, the message sent out would simply be: "Guys, take your chances with the police... best case, you can whack him and get away... worst case, he shoots your leg (if he does get the shot!) and you live!"

Puhhlleeeasseee...

well, that same 15cm knife did just killed someone else. :think:

And a 15cm blade is long enough to run straight through the heart.

If I was the policeman, I'd shoot him as well - it may well be a case of it's either me or him.

I'd rather it be him.

Talking about disarming is easy but when you really see a knife going to poke you, wonder how many still dare to disarm? :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.