[News] 26 nabbed for drink-driving in islandwide Traffic Police operation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

xtemujin

Apr 1, 2005
Singapura, Singapore
Dec 15, 2007

26 nabbed for drink-driving in islandwide Traffic Police operation
By Tan Dawn Wei

THE alcohol on his breath was unmistakable.

But the portly man, who was driving a big Malaysian-registered Japanese sedan, appeared remarkably lucid and sober to the untrained eye. No bloodshot eyes, unsteady gait or slurred speech.

He was even able to engage in a five-minute discussion with two Traffic Police officers on how his female companion was going to get home - across the Causeway - without him or his car.

'Let me do the test again, please,' he pleaded in halting English.
'It will be the same. You have to be tested again back at the station,' one of the officers said patiently.

The man, along with 25 other motorists, was arrested for drink driving in an islandwide Traffic Police operation that started close to midnight on Friday and went on till dawn.

In the 71/2-hour operation, 99 people were asked to take the breathalyser test. Of the 26 who failed, 24 were men and two were women. They were between 25 and 45 years old. Nine persons were also issued summons for speeding.

The operation, which had road blocks up at at least three locations - Whitley Road, Maxwell Road and Nicoll Highway - came at a time when drink driving has been hogging the spotlight.

Arrests have gone up by 27 per cent since 2004, from 2,929 cases to 3,733 cases last year. In the first nine months of this year, 11 people died because of drink driving. Last year's fatality was 25.

I've never figured out what 'drink driving' is?

There's

Drunk Driving
Drunken Driving
Driving under the influence (of alcohol)

but 'drink driving' does not exist, except in Singapore. It must be either be a special kind of drink that only Singaporeans consume, or its Singlish.

I think it's when you drink and drive, regardless of whether ons is actually drunk or not. Most apt would be DUI, but I guess that's an American term and the powers that be wanted something more concise and immediately recognisable.

There's

Drunk Driving
Drunken Driving

but 'drink driving' does not exist, except in Singapore. It must be either be a special kind of drink that only Singaporeans consume, or its Singlish.

hee... its singlish for what you've mentioned.

There's

Drunk Driving
Drunken Driving

I think it's Schwartzlish. :)

Should ban their driving licence lifetime.

I agreed. I think the current punishment is not strict enough.

If got 24 strokes caning + 10 years jail term, I think this problem will vanish immediately. :devil:

There's

Drunk Driving
Drunken Driving

"Drink driving" is used in UK too...
http://www.thinkroadsafety.gov.uk/campaigns/drinkdrive/drinkdrive.htm\

DUI is the US term.

BC

I agreed. I think the current punishment is not strict enough.

If got 24 strokes caning + 10 years jail term, I think this problem will vanish immediately. :devil:
Not enough. TP's not addressing the problem seriously enough. We should have the following... :thumbsup:

1) Immediate license revocation
2) Lifetime ban for license test under all categories of vehicles
3) $10,000 fine for 1st time offender, $20,000 fine for 2nd time offender, serial offenders will face a maximum of $100,000 fine (but not below $20K) and 3yrs behind bars with 2 strokes of the rotan
4) Lifetime ban for owning vehicles of any category (from Class 1 to Class 6)

For accidents involving death that's a result of drunk driving
1) $100,000 fine, 5yrs behind bars and 5 strokes of the rotan
2) Immediate revocation of license, backdated from the time of accident
3) For every single day that the driver continued to drive after the accident, add 1 stroke of the rotan & $10K fine
4) Lifetime ban for all classes of license & vehicle ownership.

For those who wanna think of tempting the law, think if such laws are implemented, no one would even dare to think of joking around.
All drink driving cases will immediately plunge to zero.

wonder if cars of the future could auto disable when it detects a driver beyond legal alcohol consumption? like electrionic speed limitor of some sort?... :think:

mayb the driver's seat would have alcohol sensors installed! mua-hahaa... :devil:

Society needs less of such reckless being.
Replace the few months jail and fine with the gallows!
How many victims do these people intend to claim with their iresponsiblity!

Society needs less of such reckless being.
Replace the few months jail and fine with the gallows!
How many victims do these people intend to claim with their iresponsiblity!

sure. let's save that 25 people that died with 3733 "drivers that had drank alcoholic drinks and drove" (please, if someone wants to nit-pick every minute single english imperfection, go be a traffic police. they fine cars parked on a wide empty stretch of road 2am in the morning just because the car was parked 3cm into the solid line.).

Even with their licence revolved, they still can drive as TP hardly checks unless road block. They already know that drink n drive is illeagal n yet they are doing so. Educate them also useless, they would still do the same mistakes over n over again.

Best is someone came out with a car that uses driving licence n password (drunk ppl can't remember pw well) to operate (the more secure the better, haha! :bsmilie:). Maybe use the IU as a car key also not bad, ppl wouldn't forget to take out the card in the end n the window got smashed, haha! So, those without licence, can't activate the vehicle at all. As there is a recent case on a under age driver who caused accident.

Only ways to prevent drink n drive is to target the car, not the drivers. Human always like to show off n do mistakes forever. I think there are such car can be use only they pass the breath test but quite troublesome lor :think:

wat i feel is this ,

when u get a car, its kind of telling other u r successful, u need to prove to others that u already there ahead of the rest, couple with a chio bu/ hunks , gf/ bf , wife/ hubby, there is this inner calling to perform , to excel infront of others.

drink driving happens when all this comes together and with this single thot ,

"nothing will happen , i m use to this car , i know my drinking limits , i can handle all situation.

if in the day time driving with heavy traffic , i can cut lane without activating signal , accelerate faster than the turtle infront of me , why not night driving + drink driving ."

accidents happen because of unexpected situation and drink drinking slows the reaction time for all drivers regardless of exp.
1 can escape this time , but not forever .

the problem does not stop when the drink driver dies , but rather its those surviving victims that have to bear with the consequence.

pls dun drink and drive , for the sake of others if not that of your own.

Status
Not open for further replies.