Newly taken photo by a newbie..

[/IMG]

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
Would like feedback on the composition and setting/technique used for this photo.

2.what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
I hope to show the beautiful night scenery of the marina area taken from the bridge near Fullerton hotel.

3.under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
I was walking around bringing my newly bought DSLR with my gf taking pictures of us and the scenery around us.

4.what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
I personally like this picture because of the beautiful landscapes of a city area @ night with full of colours.

Sispecho

Sep 11, 2006
Clementi
Your photo looks blur (the durian). Did you use a tripod??? And it seems just a tad overexposed to me...

johnlim

Feb 26, 2004
Night shots seldom look nice when shot in high ISO. YOu could have placed the camera on a platform, used ISO 100, and shot with a timer. I could see some hand-shaking here (esplanade not sharp).

Composition wise, the sky could have been excluded(nothing there), show more reflection in the water, include the Esplanade and crop away the right building. :think:

Color saturation can be increased, a little more contrast.........

aspenx

Aug 10, 2008
here
I have to admit that I don't know how to compose any nice night shots.

But the tilt here is too obvious. Also, you could have tried placing the "shoreline" as the 1/3 mark.
As for the handshake, you could have used a faster shutter speed by increasing your ISO or even find a support to steady yourself if possible.

It's also slightly over-exposed in my opinion. The white balance is also too warm.

I did a quick fix of your pic to see what could be done:

Top Bottom