Newcomer seeking advices

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luchua

Oct 2, 2008
Hello,

I am totally new to the world of DSLR and am contemplating at getting 1st hand entry level for a start.

I am more of a landscape/night street person and I am going to China for the whole of coming december. My budget would be not more than $1200. So considering the above points, I hope someone can kindly suggest a suitable model for me. TIA :D

Hello. Firstly a warm welcome to you.

Either of the brands Nikon, Canon, Sony, Pentax or Olympus will be able to take decent landscape pictures.

I would suggest that you go to a shop to see which is more comfortable to you. Do try out the ergonomics and scroll around the menu to see if it's easy to change the settings.

Besides the cam, be prepare to spend a little for the protection & storage - dry cabinet and a decent tripod. A dry cabinet cost about $100 and a tripod would be around $150++. With that said, you are probably left with about $1K to shop for your cam.

Perhaps you may want to consider getting a 2nd hand cam instead and slowly upgrade from there.

Do take note that some cameras comes with build in image stabilizer while others have it on the lenses and some cameras would required lenses with build in motors to allow autofocusing.

Last edited:
Hello. Firstly a warm welcome to you.

Either of the brands Nikon, Canon, Sony, Pentax or Olympus will be able to take decent landscape pictures.

I would suggest that you go to a shop to see which is more comfortable to you. Do try out the ergonomics and scroll around the menu to see if it's easy to change the settings.

Besides the cam, be prepare to spend a little for the protection & storage - dry cabinet and a decent tripod. A dry cabinet cost about $100 and a tripod would be around $150++. With that said, you are probably left with about $1K to shop for your cam.

Perhaps you may want to consider getting a 2nd hand cam instead and slowly upgrade from there.

Do take note that some cameras comes with build in image stabilizer while others have it on the lenses and some cameras would required lenses with build in motors to allow autofocusing.

Thank you for your reply, I am currently looking at the 450d. Any inputs? :)

i'm using 450D. great entry level dSLR if you're not expecting too much. like high FPS etc... Nikon D80 another option ;) have you tried looking at other brands?

hi there, i be getting 450d for a start too and will be getting either canon 50mm f1.8 or 50mm f1.4 lens. i not too sure which lens to get for a start. i also looking at macro lens, with my budget constraint, i looking for something that is afforable. any recommendation? thks :D

hi there, i be getting 450d for a start too and will be getting either canon 50mm f1.8 or 50mm f1.4 lens. i not too sure which lens to get for a start. i also looking at macro lens, with my budget constraint, i looking for something that is afforable. any recommendation? thks :D
Get the kit lens first. 50mm 1.8 is a good lens.

macro lenses are generally.. quite expensive.

Consider getting a 55-250. Cheap and good.

Look around in the buy&sell folders, sometimes got very good deal that you can consider.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.