Newbies wonder wat is "stop", pls highlight...

sino238

Nov 30, 2010
Am a newbies, can any one tell me wat he meant by stop. Many thanks!

" I calculate the shutter speed by adding 9 stop to the reading that i got before i attach on the filter. "

Am a newbies, can any one tell me wat he meant by stop. Many thanks!

" I calculate the shutter speed by adding 9 stop to the reading that i got before i attach on the filter. "
today good mood, explain for you :)

increasing exposure by 1 stop doubles the amount of light entering the camera.
decreasing exposure by 1 stop halves the amount of light entering the camera.

2 stops is 2^2 = 2 x 2 = 4 times (or 1/4)
3 stops is 2^3 = 2 x 2 x 2 = 8 times (or 1/8)

eg. all other things constant, changing from 1/60s shutter speed to 1/30s doubles the amount of light entering, so is an increase of 1 stop exposure.

hope that helps :)

Last edited:

eg. all other things constant, changing from 1/60s shutter speed to 1/30s doubles the amount of light entering, so is an increase of 1 stop exposure.

Today your mood largi good. Normally you'll shoot first then slam later. Haha...:cool:

Today your mood largi good. Normally you'll shoot first then slam later. Haha...:cool:
got meh? I thought normally I beri good boy! :angel:

at least not the typical "please recommend me what camera to buy?" thread :bsmilie:

Haha...thanks for ur good mood. Many thanks!

Last edited:
STOP is the signboard you see at the roadside, and Highlights is what your girlfriend spends $150 on to do to her hair !!!
Hahahahahahahaha

Just kidding
It comes from the old skool of "click-stops" on manual lenses

and on the Greyscale, the 10 value is what is called highlights

Hope this helps
Cheers

Okies u see ar, I go calculate liao
2x2x2x 2x2x2x 2x2x2=18 rite?
Than the actual shutter is 1/20.
How come he added the 9stop Liao, The shutter speed become 25sec? Pls highlight again...so sorry..

Okies u see ar, I go calculate liao
2x2x2x 2x2x2x 2x2x2=18 rite?
Than the actual shutter is 1/20.
How come he added the 9stop Liao, The shutter speed become 25sec? Pls highlight again...so sorry..
maths fail har?

2 x 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 = 18????? are you sure?????

2 x 2 = 4
2 x 2 x 2 = 8
2 x 2 x 2 x 2 = 16
2 x 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 = 32

geddit????

Hahaha....My math reali fail...
2x2=4 4x2=8 8x2=16 16x2=32
32x2=64 64x2=128 128x2=256
256x2=512

512x0.05=25sec. Correct?

maths fail har?

2 x 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 = 18????? are you sure?????

Last edited:
Hihi. U still good mood or not? Last Q from me
Tat is do u know how many stop is for
Hoya 77mm Circular Polarizer HD Hardened Glass 8-layer Multi-Coated Filter?

exactomundo! :)

this is a really good explanation there.

Hmmm.... ts still seem to be very confused.
I just add on a little.
This f stop thing is the "common way" of describing the aperture, amount of light entering the camera and depth of field. Read this link.

In this case, it is used to describe the amount of light entering or something like that.
For example, 1/60 seconds
Increase by 1 f-stop by controlling the shutter speed as explained in the quoted bold words.
to increase a 1/60 sec exposure by twice the amount of light is 1/30 and this is increasing by 1 f-stop.
Increase by 2 f-stops, 1/60 seconds will be 1/60>1/30>1/15.... 1/15 seconds of exposure.
and so on for 3 f-stops.

So, if you add a 9 stops filter, a 1/60 second exposure (long enough for a proper exposure) it will become a 1/60>1/30>1/15>1/8>1/4>1/2>1>2>4>8......... a 8 seconds exposure.

more readings for you
http://www.photonhead.com/beginners/shutterandaperture.php

Hihi. U still good mood or not? Last Q from me
Tat is do u know how many stop is for
Hoya 77mm Circular Polarizer HD Hardened Glass 8-layer Multi-Coated Filter?
Haha yes still good mood, but I wouldn't know how many stops of light it cuts out. Typically CPLs allow the camera meter to measure accurately still, so just trust the meter reading. No need to calculate.

I just add on a little.
This f stop thing is the "common way" of describing the aperture, amount of light entering the camera and depth of field. Read this link.

In this case, it is used to describe the amount of light entering or something like that.
Increase by 1 f-stop by controlling the shutter speed as explained in the quoted bold words.
to increase a 1/60 sec exposure by twice the amount of light is 1/30 and this is increasing by 1 f-stop.
Increase by 2 f-stops, 1/60 seconds will be 1/60>1/30>1/15.... 1/15 seconds of exposure.
and so on for 3 f-stops.

So, if you add a 9 stops filter, a 1/60 second exposure (long enough for a proper exposure) it will become a 1/60>1/30>1/15>1/8>1/4>1/2>1>2>4>8......... a 8 seconds exposure.

more readings for you
CT bro, I read your explanation, not only TS confused but ME also confused :sweat:

Meaning I no to need do those math mad calculation tat u teach me ar? Just let camera meter to do tat for me? Unless is a other filter like ND than I need to do those calculation? Can I say tat? Sorry for my stupid Q again...

Haha yes still good mood, but I wouldn't know how many stops of light it cuts out. Typically CPLs allow the camera meter to measure accurately still, so just trust the meter reading. No need to calculate.

Thank for the link! Am study it now. Hihi just wonder is it the rite way or not, cos normally I will set my aperture at F22 while snapping nite view. And I will stopwatch myself for the shutter speed. And slowly from the pictures I took, I will decide to add on or less on the shutter speed. Is tat the rite way?

I just add on a little.

and so on for 3 f-stops.

more readings for you

Dear sino238,

Concept is correct, but f22 at night?????
Sheesh !!! try using only f5.6, or f8 max.. Otherwise, everything will be streaky !!
Unless of course, that's the effect you want.

Cheers