Newbies shooting at Marina Barrage

Status
Not open for further replies.

JC1808

Nov 22, 2008
West
Hi All,

I've seen lots of Clubsnap memebers posted beautiful photos shots of Marina Barrage, a nice and beautiful view of Singapore landscape, Flyer etc..

Plan to go for my first visit this weekend, can I know how to get there? Is it locate at Marina Bay? (the old place that can fly kites?)

Btw, what will be the best timing to shoot at Marina Barrage? Morning, Noon or late evenning to night? if I want to shoot nightshot is tripod & Flash a must? or can I just increase the ISO? Sorry for asking stupid question..:cry: I totally have no night shooting experience.... and with only a nikon kit lens 18mm-55mm is it suitable for shooting landdscape?

How to go Marina Barrage?

Address: 8 Marina Gardens Drive, Singapore 018951

There are two bus services from Marina Bay MRT Station to Marina Barrage.

Mondays to Fridays

From Marina Bay MRT station to Marina Barrage

Board at Bus Stop A, Alight at Bus Stop B
- Marina Barrage Shuttle Bus (Time: From 0820 to 1910)
- SBS Bus Service 400 (Time: From 0911 to 2330)

From Marina Barrage to Marina Bay MRT Station

Board at Bus Stop B
- Marina Barrage Shuttle Bus, Alight at Point C (Time: From 0825 to 1915)
- SBS Bus Service 400, Alight at Bus Stop D (Time: From 0915 to 2344)

Weekend (Sat, Sun & Public Holidays) Schedule

From Marina Bay MRT station to Marina Barrage

Board at Bus Stop A, Alight at Bus Stop B
- Marina Barrage Shuttle Bus (Time: From 0900 to 2050)
- SBS Bus Service 400 (Time: From 0911 to 2330)

From Marina Barrage to Marina Bay MRT Station

Board at Bus Stop B
- Marina Barrage Shuttle Bus, Alight at Point C (Time: From 0905 to 2055)
- SBS Bus Service 400, Alight at Bus Stop D (Time: From 0915 to 2344)

For enquiry, call Marina Barrage Information Counter at (+65) 6514-5959

If you are intending to shoot night shots, I strongly advise you to bring along your tripod. If you are shooting scenic shots you will not need to bring your flash. Even if you are intending to shoot portraits or just people at night, most likely you won't need your flash since the area is actually very big (open air) and you can't bounce the flash etc (unless you use something). So besides the power of your external flash gun, using the pop-up flash would be quite the same.

Most advisable to not bump up your ISO if taking scenic shots and use tripod with long exposure and off your IS.

Your kit lens is also sufficient to shoot landscapes. Of course, you might want to try taking pano shots while at barrage too.

Just my 2 cents ;)

There's free shuttle bus service from Marina Bay station, schedule here: http://www.pub.gov.sg/marina/location/Pages/default.aspx

Actually if you are newbie, I suggest you to understand the relationship between aperture, shutter speed and ISO. Then you can try out the setting on the spot, with a tripod preferably. My basic rule is to use Manual mode, set the aperture to 8-11, ISO 200 (or lower)... then adjust the shutter speed to get proper exposure, with a tripod. You might drag the shutter speed to create some effects (starburst or smoothen the fountain) by using smaller aperture.

Suggest you to go around 5pm, then you might catch some people playing kites and get some good candids along with the architecture under sufficient light. The slowly into sunset and night shots.

Most importantly, enjoy and share to get some comments :cool:

Hi Linnl71 & szeping,

Thanks for the advise & information! A tripod is a must for nightshot!!! ;) Got it!

Read before that bumping up ISO means also having image with more noise and lose details....so if is in low light suituation and dont increase ISO we have to explore playing with shutter speed and Aperture....

Linnl71,

Sorry dont catch what do you mean by "off your IS"? What is IS?
And for Pana shots!! how I wish I can...but I dont even know how does a pana shot being created..........:dunno:

szeping,

"I suggest you to understand the relationship between aperture, shutter speed and ISO"...I always read and read...but just cant "store" it in my brain!! Until now still not really understand...most of my shots I use "A" aperture mode and let the cam do it shutter speed...

IS = image stabilizer.

In Nikon terms, it's known as VR (Vibration Reduction).

For night photography, a tripod is a must.

JC1808,

Try this link for tips on how to take a panoramic exposure.

HTH.

IS = image stabilizer.

In Nikon terms, it's known as VR (Vibration Reduction).

For night photography, a tripod is a must.

Just to add for TS, dun forget ur cable release for long exposure (Bulb mode) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.