newbies needs help choosing

Status
Not open for further replies.

afiq15

Dec 28, 2009
okay.. i'm in a dilemma rite nw.. not sure which slr model to choose.. this will be my 1st slr camera.. so pls help me choose wisely.. help me choose between pentax k-x, nikon d5000 and canon 500d.. based on the camera performance etc2.. thnks

first of all, welcome to clubsnap.

Secondly, I'm sad to say that there's no outright winner in this case. Each makes a strong case for itself.
Why not you share with us what you know are the differences between the abovementioned cameras? Then ask yourself whether these differences are important to you.

As said by Zerocoolastra. All 3 cameras are very capable and represents the good value within their own camps. Since you have whittled down your list to these 3, you are probably familiar with their specs already. Ask yourself what one model has over the others that you need.

As of now, I would say Kx is giving the major 2 brands a run for their money and capturing attention with its vast array of features at a price point that the other 2 have for their lower level camera (read less feature for the price).

Yeah those cameras are all good. I'm also newbie, just got my camera last week (6 days) :bsmilie:

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=626315&page=2
I bought Canon 500D last week
The reason:
1. ALL my friends that I know use Canon
2. The Review is very good, and after using it, I can confirm it. Very goood

Well, my comparison was between Nikon D5000 vs Canon 500D. I've asked in this forum and the answer is: BOTH brands are good. Well, that's true. So I guess it's a typical newbie question. And since camera is a high quality product, I believe none would have a fatal weakness, hence the classic answer.

If you have the money, try different brands. That's the best

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=627308
I'm absolute newbie too. I bought my 500D last week
Maybe I can add few items:
1. Ask around your friends who into photography. Well, in my case all of them (5 people) suggested Canon. Personally, I have Nikon in my mind.
2. Based on the above recommendation, start researching the internet for review. Also ask in this forum. But, my conclusion is, since Camera is a high quality product, brand does not really matter. They all have strength and weaknesses. In the end, I chose Canon primarily because all friends that I know use it. The common in brand helps if I want to ask something to them.
3. Lastly, when you finally decide to buy. Ask a good friend who knows camera to accompany you. At least they can help to last minute bargain and check for the condition of the camera. Don't forget to treat him/her pizza as thankful gesture

The above method applies to lens too. My original intention was Sigma. But read in the forum sometimes it needs calibration, which I encountered during the test in the shop. In the end I chose my backup choice a Tamron with satisfactory result.

Pentax is cheaper but not alot of choice on lenses.
Both Canon and Nikon have a wider range of lenses to choose from.
Canon lenses are generally cheaper than Nikon.
Nikon is sharper.
Canon has more neutral colors.
All 3 are good cameras.

I'm using the Canon 450D currently and will be upgrading to Canon range of 5DMII for FF or 1DMIII which has 1.3x crop and 7D for 1.6x crop. I'm sticking to Canon as I'm used to Canon system and owning quite a number of Canon / Canon mount 3rd party lenses. I'm a lazy bum so I'll not want the hassle of switching systems.

Last edited:
Welcome to CS :) Pick your poison.......................;p

Hi

I am new too.. i just got mine nikon 5000 on 23 dec, base on my choice i choose nikon cos of the better grip

Nikon is sharper.

All 3 are good cameras.

I'm using the Canon 450D currently and will be upgrading to Canon range of 5DMII for FF or 1DMIII which has 1.3x crop and 7D for 1.6x crop. I'm sticking to Canon as I'm used to Canon system and owning quite a number of Canon / Canon mount 3rd party lenses. I'm a lazy bum so I'll not want the hassle of switching systems.

I think these are unsubstantiated claims. Unless you have hard evidence to back your claims, I'd advise you to refrain from making such bold statements.

pentax has a wide range of lens catered for crop bodies
the canon 500D and nikon D5000 are very decent cameras,
on the 500D u get HD video, on the D5000 u have a tilt-able LCD screen
also do note that with the nikon D5000 you are limited to certain lenses so as to be able to achieve AF, and these lenses generally cost more, do take that into consideration as well.

take your time and read some reviews on the bodies that u have short lisited, check out the whole range of lenses and accessories that each system provides as well as the affordablity of the system.
lastly u can head out to the shops to try ou the bodies and see which bodies' handling and UI u prefer.

and..
WELCOME TO CS! =)

Last edited:
Note u are choosing DSLR not SLR, SLR is film camera..

Never give ppl ur budget & photography subject interest, how bro/sis here help u ?
Will be simply a case of rubbish in = rubbish out

I think these are unsubstantiated claims. Unless you have hard evidence to back your claims, I'd advise you to refrain from making such bold statements.

Though it may be unsubstantiate claims but these are what I have exprienced before deciding which DSLR I'll purchased :embrass:. I did considered and tried many options like Sony, Nikon, Pentax, Panasonic, Olympus etc before as well. ;)

Nikon is sharper.
All 3 are good cameras.

Totally untrue.

Pentax has a good range of lenses specifically designed for digital (ie. the DA series). If you are unsure, just go to the price list section and see for yourself.
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=534146

Adding all the legacy FF K mount lenses that it can use from SMC K, M, A, F, FA series spanning easily 30+yrs. Add to this the many 3rd party models over these 30+yrs and you have TONS on lenses to use. In fact, they can be used directly without any conversions/adapters, etc. The camera bodies even cater for metering and focus confirmation (not every camera maker has put in so much consideration to its legacy users).
Many are good and cheap.

Long lens choice also does not mean you an afford to buy them all.

Nikon is sharper.
All 3 are good cameras.

wah, , This is totally untrue. :nono:pentax has all ranges covered from 12 to 300mm for DA, DA* and DA Limiteds. Fish eye down to 10mm. Older Lenses Like FA and F rise up to 600mm. Mind you operation wise All lenses made by Pentax for 35 mm can be used for DSLR.

Good thing here is that you don't need to pay another dollar for the stabilization as image stabilization is in body. also, no redundant model of the same range that with and without Image stabilization.

If that is not enough, there are also third Party lenses that will suit your needs. :)

It's all up to you, The question is how many you can afford to buy?

okay.. i'm in a dilemma rite nw.. not sure which slr model to choose.. this will be my 1st slr camera.. so pls help me choose wisely.. help me choose between pentax k-x, nikon d5000 and canon 500d.. based on the camera performance etc2.. thnks
simple....join the various user group outings and then ask nicely if can borrow their cameras and ask for actual user comments.

or can visit each brand showroom to try out their cameras.

Totally untrue.

Pentax has a good range of lenses specifically designed for digital (ie. the DA series). If you are unsure, just go to the price list section and see for yourself.
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=534146

Adding all the legacy FF K mount lenses that it can use from SMC K, M, A, F, FA series spanning easily 30+yrs. Add to this the many 3rd party models over these 30+yrs and you have TONS on lenses to use. In fact, they can be used directly without any conversions/adapters, etc. The camera bodies even cater for metering and focus confirmation (not every camera maker has put in so much consideration to its legacy users).
Many are good and cheap.

Long lens choice also does not mean you an afford to buy them all.

wah, , This is totally untrue. :nono:pentax has all ranges covered from 12 to 300mm for DA, DA* and DA Limiteds. Fish eye down to 10mm. Older Lenses Like FA and F rise up to 600mm. Mind you operation wise All lenses made by Pentax for 35 mm can be used for DSLR.

Good thing here is that you don't need to pay another dollar for the stabilization as image stabilization is in body. also, no redundant model of the same range that with and without Image stabilization.

If that is not enough, there are also third Party lenses that will suit your needs. :)

It's all up to you, The question is how many you can afford to buy?

Ok ok... I was wrong lah :embrass:. Maybe I shall say the ranges are not for me as I do borrow Pentax SLR, Canon SLR / DSLR and Nikon SLR + DSLR from my cousin before to try out. She did mentioned to me before that Canon and Nikon may have more lenses of what I want, which I think she was wrong after seeing all these feedbacks. Lessons learnt. :thumbsup:

Since so many bros have corrected my mistake. I accept and learn. Anyway, to me, all brands are good. Just what you prefer only. There is no right or wrong in choosing whatever brands you like. ;)

Last edited:
hi afiq15, welcome to the wonderful world of photography. your question is quite typical of a newbie but i'd like to just share my opinions or experience (i have been doing photography for 30+ years and still use various systems e.g. nikon, canon, leica, hasselblad).

1) first question you should ask yourself is whether a) you just want a dslr and one kit lens and be happy? or b) is your interest likely to grow and in future acquire more lens, accessories, etc. if you answer is a) any of your 3 choices won't make any diff. but if you answer is b) you might want to consider beyond just the body.

2) when you embark on dslr photography, you're likely to want to own a range of lenses for different needs. thus, you choice of which brand may be influenced by the availability and price of new as well as used items. the body is only one component. how about the lenses, etc. camera bodies come and go, and the manufacturers will keep introducing newer models (just like mobile phones), but you investment is the right choice of lenses will stay with you.

3) so my point is this - if you're likely to want to grow in your photography and build up a system, then you should be looking at what lenses and accessories are readily available and at reasonable prices. in this respect, the market for used canon and nikon items is very wide, and thus you may be able to build up your system with a combination of new and used equipment.

4) as a general guide, assuming you use a DX body, a zoom lens with 17-55mm range would be very useful for general photography. maybe add on a 70-200mm. or a one lens 18-200mm zoom, and maybe a 50mm f1.4 or f1.8 for low light work and portraits.

5) final point - think system instead of only the camera body.

hope this helps. fred

if dollar for dollar between the 500d and the d5000, i would pick the d5000 for the swivel lcd which is useful to have.

if dollar for dollar between the 500d and the d5000, i would pick the d5000 for the swivel lcd which is useful to have.

When trying to get above people's heads at events and for self-potraits, yes. :sweatsm:

When trying to get above people's heads at events and for self-potraits, yes. :sweatsm:
you are right on that...pretty useful feature to have since that means no need to bring a step ladder.

Nikon is sharper.
All 3 are good cameras.

True, Pentax might have not THAT many lenses available on the shelves (they got LOADS of primes haha), but SERIOUSLY. Does a larger lens system equate to a better buy? I beg to differ.
You want fast zooms?
17-50 f2.8 Tamron settles the wide-end.
50-150 f2.8 Sigma settles the longer end.
and if you're really into the deep end...
70-200 f2.8 Tamron/Sigma,
Sigma Tele Zooms (ie. 50-500, 130-500, etc)

In my opinion, third-party lenses levels the playing field for almost everybody except for those pixel peepers :p

Cheers!,
gibss.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.