Newbies needs advice

Dayan

Mar 4, 2011
Dear All

I am new to this forum and photograhy. I recently took out the Olympus C8080 (from the store room!) which I purchased in 2004 (item had been a white elephant eventhough the purchase was done becos we wanted to take pictures of my new born) and found out interesting features (e.g black/white) which can enhance and provide different "feel"to the pictures (had been using basic digital camera like the IXUS all along). Have been taking pictures and surfing the net about photography since.

Saw some photos posted in this forum and am excited about it. I would like to take pictures like that too. But can anyone advise me whether I should

1) use my current olympus camera to learn and improve my skill; or
2) buy a new camera (as current one is way outdated) to learn.

Would really appreciate if anyone can enlighten me on this.

PS - read up nad compared Cannon's T2i, Nikon D3100 and Olympus C8080. There are vast different in features, that's why need helps.
Thank you.

Regards
Dayan

There's nothing that will limit you with the Olympus in terms of learning some real skills: composition and usage of light.

If you do decide to go for a DSLR, then read the thread in the Newbies Corner called "FAQ: What DSLR to get?". There's a LOT more out there than the D3100 and T2i for the money.

PS - read up nad compared Cannon's T2i, Nikon D3100 and Olympus C8080. There are vast different in features, that's why need helps.
1) Do you know and understand these features?
2) Do you know that you will need them?
If answers are 'No" you can safely stick to your C8080. Most of these features will only overload you and distract from the basics as Rashkae mentioned. Also, many people buy because of features, only to find out that they hardly utilize them. Sounds great to have lots of AF sensors and fps that make a machine gun look pale. And then? Gunning down your family? Or the trees in the park?
Have a look here what a guy with a C8080 achieved: http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=7-6468-7844

Last edited:
Dear All

Thanks a lot for all the advises given. Will do some homework with the C8080 first.

BTW, daredevil the shots taken is great! Hope to learn from you soon.

Welcome, Julia. Why do you post into an existing discussion? Just open anew thread, every newcomer deserves one :)

It's a spambot - see the signature.