Newbie's Dilemma - Canon or Nikon?

shanshine

Sep 11, 2009
Hi all,

I'm currently using Panasonic LX3, and am thinking of making the jump to a DSLR.

Would like to ask what would be a good brand for a DSLR, and the rough price range for it?

I am leaning towards the Canon 500/550D, but am not sure which is better. Partially, that's because my cousin has a Nikon and I thought I would like to get something different so we can switch from time to time to play... which brings about the question whether the two can share lenses?

Thanks for your input!

Hi all,

I'm currently using Panasonic LX3, and am thinking of making the jump to a DSLR.

Would like to ask what would be a good brand for a DSLR, and the rough price range for it?

I am leaning towards the Canon 500/550D, but am not sure which is better. Partially, that's because my cousin has a Nikon and I thought I would like to get something different so we can switch from time to time to play... which brings about the question whether the two can share lenses?

Thanks for your input!

No, unless you use adaptors, which will cause problems with lens performance. Nikon body with Canon lens can also be tricky

might as well get a nikon than can share with your cousin. HEHE.

Hi all,

Thanks for your input!

well, u can certainly mount nikon lenses on canon body via an adapter, but not the other way round,

well asking this type of question, its hard to answer, as everyone has a diff opinion, as for the brands to choose, thats solely up to you, either get a nikon and share future lenses with ya cousin, or be diff and get a canon, so u guys can swap around.

as for the price range, its not hard to know that CS has a pricelist, and contacts numbers of all the reputable shops for to call or drop em an email..

cheers:)

Ask yourself these questions "Why Do I like Canon? Is it cos more popular brand or they make the best P&S?", then go ask your cousin why he/she chose Nikon?

To solve your delimma I'd suggest the latest Nikon D3100 which is very user friendly and performance is great for a +/-$880 DSLR. It'll be at least 2yrs before you may want to upgrade to a better body.:devil:

Hi all,

Thanks for your input!
well if lens sharing what you have in mind but not interested in Nikon body...how about Fujifilm S5Pro thats using Nikon mount. do a search on it.

Well, you may want to consider other brands as well. A lot of Newbies are fixated on the two major brands without giving other brands such as Pentax, Sony, Panasonic and Olympus a fair chance. I know - I used to be one of them!

But reading this forum really open my eyes to fact that other brands have a lot to offer as well. For example, many seniors here recommend the Pentax K-r or Sony A-33. These cameras offer a lot of features at a similar (or even better price) than the big two.

That said, either C or N would be a good choice, so you can't really go wrong here.

welcome to CS . . . :)

if you are looking at sharing/switch lens with your cousin, then should look at nikon line up.

but if you are leaning towards canon 500D/550D, then go for it . . . :)

Both of the 2 brands mentioned have good line up . . . :)

in my opinion, the decision should be made my yourself, go and try it out at the shops and search in the net for more info . . . and see which one when hold by you will give you that satisfaction. cos i got this dilemma years back . . .

Just choose the one you like best. At the entry level, both makes have little difference, IMO.

Hi, welcome.

Sharing of lens??? I would say chances are slim. Go for a brand that you prefer & get your own gears.....

Go and try out to get a feel of the various camera models in your hands. Too big, too small, too heavy, etc?

That time I chose Canon because I had an old Canon PnS to take advantage of the 21% discount from Privilege Purchase at their service center. Even if you do not have, can always get a $5 old Canon model from Sungei Road to qualify for the discount. ;)

Go and try out to get a feel of the various camera models in your hands. Too big, too small, too heavy, etc?

That time I chose Canon because I had an old Canon PnS to take advantage of the 21% discount from Privilege Purchase at their service center. Even if you do not have, can always get a $5 old Canon model from Sungei Road to qualify for the discount. ;)

Good idea:)

When I hear the K or C question, I usually pity the poor buyer as a victim of marketing propaganda. Check out your other options...

You will not go wrong with either Nikon or Canon. Both are good brands with a good line up for bodies and lenses either new or used. It is like personal preference. Do you like the color yellow or the color red?

Ask yourself do you have more friends using Nikon or Canon? Why is this important? It is because you seemed new to DSLR. It is a very steep learning curve. So it helps to have friends with the same system to help and guide you,... as well as to borrow lens from.

Just choose the one you like best. At the entry level, both makes have little difference, IMO.

I second this.

TS, you've gotta try them out yourself. When I first planned on getting a DSLR, i wanted to get a Nikon just so I could share lens with my sister. But after trying out both Nikon and Canon I went for the latter because I perceive it to be more user friendly. There's no definite choice and its all down to personal preference. You're the one who's going to use the camera, so its critical that you are comfortable handling it.

Open up your options and get the best deals and value for your money. Look at Pentax, Sony and Olympus as well.

I would recommend a Pentax Kr. Very good performance and features for a very good price.

The price is (based on SLR Revolution facebook page)
1) Pentax kr 18-55 kit (Pink, White, Black) = $910
2) Pentax kr 18-55, 50-200 Dual kit (Black) = $1060
3) Pentax kr 18-55, 55-300 Dual kit (Black) = $1188

Local review here :
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=778924

Just comparing the older model Kx against the D3100 at ISO3200
Kx - http://www.imaging-resource.com/PROD...XINBI03200.HTM
D3100 - http://www.imaging-resource.com/PROD...0INBI03200.HTM

Features include :
1. On camera Shake Reduction
2. Very Good ISO 100-25600 performance
3. Exposure bracketing
4. 6 fps
5. 1/6000 max shutter speed
6. Backward compatibility to all K-mount lenses
7. Small sized
8. Fun filters (if you want them)

Either one should be ok since the descriptions are same :bsmilie:
Canon owners

You appreciate the benefits of owning a camera system that leads in cutting-edge digital imaging technology and that offers a wealth of body, lens, and accessory options for every level of photographer, from lowly consumer to top professional. You will switch to Nikon.

Nikon owners

You appreciate the benefits of owning a camera system that leads in cutting-edge digital imaging technology and that offers a wealth of body, lens, and accessory options for every level of photographer, from lowly consumer to top professional. You will switch to Canon.

http://gizmodo.com/5678601/what-your-choice-of-camera-says-about-you

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=787792