Newbie's choice: D3100 or no?

snookerum

Nov 17, 2010
Hi all!

I'm currently searching for a entry-level/mid-level camera that can last me for the next couple of years in university. I'm not too sure if I'd be taking a photography course or not, but I do know that going to a new environment (I'm leaving for Australia) would surely provide a whole new place to take beautiful pictures. I'm not looking for something too tough to use, because even though I'm sure that some people are able to fully utilize something really good, I want something that I can learn and grow with (Like a sturdy basic mountain bike, you know?)

I've currently got my eyes on the pretty new Nikon D3100, and from Alan Photo's price list, this camera is well within my budget ($800~$1,000), while leaving me with enough for a decent tripod, camera bag, back-up batteries and other things that I may need. Looking at the reviews and the preview (on dpreview), as well as browsing through some deviantart photos taken with D3100, I'm pretty satisfied with what I see.

My only worry is that I may be too unfamiliar with the different cameras available in the market, and perhaps there's actually another camera I do not know of that may be better for my demands(sorry that said demands seem to come by bulks).

Please give me some advice on this, I really want to make good use of my own hard earn money and get something that I can use to its full potential as I hone my skills.

Thanks alot! :D

Already discussed to death just a few posts below yours:

Want to get a camera (Nikon D3100 or Canon 550D?)
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=789216

Also, we have a "What DSLR to get?" FAQ, which is a sticky right here at the top of the Newbies Corner.

Be aware of the limitations of the D3100. For that money, you can get a much more full-featured Pentax or Sony (like the A33).

Any DSLR within your budget will be fine. The major brands are Nikon, Canon, Pentax, Sony, Olympus. The difference will be what features will each brand give you for the same amount spent.

I'd recommend opening your options to look at what the other brands can offer. A Pentax Kr for example does give many good features for its price.
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=778924

I believe the others will fill you in on what other brands can offer.

Welcome to CS . . . ;)

just get what your heart desired . . . :D

welcome to cs, like others say, spent some time to read the previous threads...

spent some time googling the camera that might be suitable for you, read the reviews, compare, nit pick or whatever suits u,

next find shops that sell the cameras, hold it ya hands, feel it, caress it... see which u like most,

lastly just pick a model u prefer, dont think too much and start enjoying photography..

cheers and happy hunting...:)

hey.. welcome to clubsnap..
sorry to burst your bubble full of hope, but the d3100 is like an oversize point and shoot, it have all the features of point and shoot and it SOMEHOW encourage user to use the auto selector... if you really want something down to earth, and since you are a beginner why not consider prosumer cams? and it really somehow like the d3100... jus that you can't change lens and you can practice apature, iso and shutter speed...

sorry if i sound too snobbish but i think rather than spending on the d3100 why not use it to spend on a prosumer which is cheaper?
because you will outgrow your first cam and by than when you outgrow your d3100 you will need to sell it off or put at a corner to save dust whil a prosumer you still can lug it around with your newer cam right?

I'm currently searching for a entry-level/mid-level camera that can last me for the next couple of years in university. I'm not too sure if I'd be taking a photography course or not, but I do know that going to a new environment (I'm leaving for Australia) would surely provide a whole new place to take beautiful pictures. I'm not looking for something too tough to use, because even though I'm sure that some people are able to fully utilize something really good, I want something that I can learn and grow with (Like a sturdy basic mountain bike, you know?)

Hi and welcome.
I am quite sure the camera will be able last that long unless you have butter fingers.:bsmilie:
A decent dslr like the D3100 should be quite capable of allowing you to learn all the fundamentals in photograph.
Australia should have thousands of photography opportunity.