Newbies and events/wedding photographers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deadpoet

Oct 18, 2004
First of all, I would like to apologise to the professional event and wedding photographers before I got into too much trouble, if I step on their toes, and if I somehow managed to offend them. No disrespect intended.

Ok, let's go:

Why is it that everytime, I run into other photographers in Singapore, either in person or on line, if I asked them what they like to photograph, quite often they will say events and weddings. This is especially the case for newbies, which seems to be more oftern than not! :dunno: Why is this?

Personally, I found event photography very boring, wedding only a little less so, and yet, events and weddings far out weight others areas, like landscape, portraits, still life, nature and so on and so forth ...

Just wondering :dunno:

well, personally i feel that by taking events, you can recover some or all of your investment that you put into yr equipment.
once that has been achieved, you can find your true passion.....

to each photographers' passion...i enjoy taking events cos i love it when i catch that magical moment....
that smile....that action....that hug....

just my 2 cents of thoughts....no offence intended...

Ok,
1. PR events and weddings are plenty.
2. Minimum setup for starter, compare to other subjects like studio shoots.
3. Can begin with minimum skills.
4. ….

But anyone want to really good in this area, need to have many years of experience, you may ask PeterLim to share with you.

nikonsiao said:
i love that too... :lovegrin: but still need to shoot events to cover expenses to rent Astin's studio and Astin's models.... :bsmilie:
Good one!

Deadpoet said:
First of all, I would like to apologise to the professional event and wedding photographers before I got into too much trouble, if I step on their toes, and if I somehow managed to offend them. No disrespect intended.

Ok, let's go:

Why is it that everytime, I run into other photographers in Singapore, either in person or on line, if I asked them what they like to photograph, quite often they will say events and weddings. This is especially the case for newbies, which seems to be more oftern than not! :dunno: Why is this?

Personally, I found event photography very boring, wedding only a little less so, and yet, events and weddings far out weight others areas, like landscape, portraits, still life, nature and so on and so forth ...

Events and Weddings? Ok lah... Can't say I really like doing Events and Weddings but can use it to train up my speed on capturing candids which will be useful for Street Photography when I travel. :)

Ppl here tend to turn their heads away whenever they see a mama lens aiming their way. U've gotta be quick on that. Unfortunately, all I got is a couple of back-focused/wrong-focused pictures to-date. Hit rate still pretty low. :(

The 'pre-focus, shoot and scoot' is a lot harder den I thought.

I hate to shoot events and weddings, that is why i get paid to shoot.
If I enjoyed it, I would have to pay to shoot.

I don't like events, but the pay is good, they don't have much expectations on the image quality.

As for weddings, it's a personal liking.

I like human emotions, expressions and moments, solemn, the beauty, love story etc. Everything about weddings I like. Frankly, it's not about the $, it's about the beauty of it and also being a part of the happy day.

I don't know about others that shoot weddings :) personally, I like capturing the moment.

ortega said:
I hate to shoot events and weddings, that is why i get paid to shoot.
If I enjoyed it, I would have to pay to shoot.
Luckly, you are not the one that people pay you and ask you not to shoot!!

:bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Deadpoet said:

Ok, let's go:

Hi, my question to you is: Why do you feel event and wedding photography are boring? Although these two can be a bit more profitable, there are indeed a lot of fun inside coz people do look passionate and joyful. I for one enjoy events (and slowly pick up on weddings) though my typical focus is on the candid people.

Out of an urban place like Singapore, there could be other interesting stuff as landscape and nature. I guess this is so called adaptation.

My take on this?

Which other field of photography will offer all of the following? In no order of importance...

1) True joy and love displayed by the subjects
2) Happiness, dedication, commitment of all involved
3) Ang Bao all year round
4) Making lots of new friends
5) Getting contacts to do other fields of photography
6) Sharks fin all year round (Altho I strongly am against consuming of sharks fins...thanks to Ling the merciless's inspirational video)
7) A pat on the back from your employer (the couple) for a job well done

There are many more to list...but its already 1am...anyways...you get what i mean. Wedding photography is not as mundane and boring as it sounds. Sure its hard work and thats why is even more important you enjoy doing what you do. And i do hope the points above illustrates why some of us are in wedding photography...=)

Cheers!

eikin said:
the only way to enjoy weddings and events is to be the invited guest.
Not true, refer to my post above.

iamasaint said:
My take on this?

Which other field of photography will offer all of the following? In no order of importance...

1) True joy and love displayed by the subjects
2) Happiness, dedication, commitment of all involved
3) Ang Bao all year round
4) Making lots of new friends
5) Getting contacts to do other fields of photography
6) Sharks fin all year round (Altho I strongly am against consuming of sharks fins...thanks to Ling the merciless's inspirational video)
7) A pat on the back from your employer (the couple) for a job well done

There are many more to list...but its already 1am...anyways...you get what i mean. Wedding photography is not as mundane and boring as it sounds. Sure its hard work and thats why is even more important you enjoy doing what you do. And i do hope the points above illustrates why some of us are in wedding photography...=)

Cheers!
I'll agree on point 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 7. Pt 6, I hardly get to eat leh.

Wedding is never mundane, that's why I waiting for KK to open class. :)

eikin said:
it's true for me :)
To each his own. If I'm invited as a guest, I stay as a guest. My CoolPix 4600 stays at home :)

espn said:
To each his own. If I'm invited as a guest, I stay as a guest. My CoolPix 4600 stays at home :)

if i'm the invited guest, my coolpix 4500 comes with me. only thing the pictures are not for sale :)

eikin said:
if i'm the invited guest, my coolpix 4500 comes with me. only thing the pictures are not for sale :)
Hehe.. that's true, snapshots are more fun than selling images when you're the guest :)

I also like wedding... events not that much... I guess to be successful wedding photographer, you have to really enjoy the happy occasion then translate them into photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.