Newbie's 1st pic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pandora

May 15, 2002
Visit site
swells01.jpg

This picture is among one of the first few shots I took with my new SLR. Please feel free to give me some comments with regards to how I can improve the composition or technique. Thanks!

29 views and no one has anything to say?:cry: :cry:

The original picture was underexposed at the rocky regions in the picture, and also the kids' face. Is there anything I can do to prevent similar mistakes? I can't recall the actual settings, but I definitely remember the shutter speed was a fast one - something like 1/250 or higher.

It was very sunny, but still, I had problems with underexposure (except parts of of stream that caught the sunlight). How can I achieve a good exposure under such conditions?

Originally posted by Pandora
29 views and no one has anything to say?:cry: :cry:

The original picture was underexposed at the rocky regions in the picture, and also the kids' face. Is there anything I can do to prevent similar mistakes? I can't recall the actual settings, but I definitely remember the shutter speed was a fast one - something like 1/250 or higher.

It was very sunny, but still, I had problems with underexposure (except parts of of stream that caught the sunlight). How can I achieve a good exposure under such conditions?

Hi Pandora,

Your pic doesn't look underexposed to me. What camera and what mode were you using at that time (program/aperture priority/shutter priority/manual)? The pic does look vertically compressed... perhaps due to improper resizing?

Hi Pandora.

I am a newbie myself so i hope you don't mind me sharing my views.

The pictures looks good to me. Exposure wise, well, it looks ok to me too.

The only thing that looks weird to me is the fact that the picture looks "short", or in Ziploc's term, vertically compressed.... :)

Keep posting mate!

Movie mode huh...hehe

Very bright and sunny...maybe you overcompensated for the amount of light? Or ur slr took the exposure reading from the water instead of the kids....which may underexpose the water.
Can see tat u r using fast shuttle speed...coz the water droplets are frozed.

Maybe do a better crop? The kids at the right hand corner are cut off...maybe include them? Since excluding them maybe put ur subject in a awkward position.
:)

Tat's my opinion...maybe im wrong. Heheh

erm.. mi got a question!
in the case sbs99 said the cam is metered to the water instead of the kids thats why the pic look underexposed

how to correct it?
increase exposure?
use spot metering?

Hi ziploc, Wolfgang and sbs99

Originally posted by ziploc

Your pic doesn't look underexposed to me. What camera and what mode were you using at that time (program/aperture priority/shutter priority/manual)?
Erm ... I should post the original photo. I had it scanned and did an auto level in PS. (A little too shy to post the original though!)
I was using Nikon F80, using shutter priority. As posted earlier, the shutter speed was at least 1/250. Conditions then was very sunny, so I didn't that think a fast shutter speed will impair the picture.

Originally posted by sbs99

Very bright and sunny...maybe you overcompensated for the amount of light? Or ur slr took the exposure reading from the water instead of the kids....which may underexpose the water.
Well, didn't have the time to think about overcompensation. :confused: I believe centre metering mode was used at that time (with the focus on the two kids) - could that be the reason for the underexposure of darker parts? In such a case, how can I avoid it, apart from bracketing? What else can I try?

I have to admit that I was using a polarising filter, and I didn't know it would make my pictures darker than normal until after I took all the pictures. :cry:

Originally posted by ziploc

The pic does look vertically compressed... perhaps due to improper resizing?
I didn't change the size of the picture except for cropping. I thought it was quite distracting to see the kids in the top right hand corner ... ;p Gee ... it looks really compressed vertically?

Originally posted by Wolfgang

The only thing that looks weird to me is the fact that the picture looks "short", or in Ziploc's term, vertically compressed....
Originally posted by sbs99

Maybe do a better crop? The kids at the right hand corner are cut off...maybe include them? Since excluding them maybe put ur subject in a awkward position.
Ok, I'll work on it again. Thanks for the suggestions! :)

Originally posted by MaGixShOe
how to correct it?
increase exposure?
use spot metering?
Yeah! I want to know too! :rbounce:

But if spot metering is used, wouldn't the bright areas become darker?

if it was centre weight metering u were using the result would ve underexposed

coz they take the average of the whole pic and metered it accordingly
if spot was used then it will ony meter the focus point

hope i am not wrong :D

anyway previously i posted a underexposed photo under bright sunlight conditions too.. but i did set the exposure to the max liao
the prob lies in the metering mode used but no choice... the cam only had that

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6901

the top right hand corner of the cropped photo has a distracting background. to overcome the overexposed parts of the children, use fill flash

Status
Not open for further replies.